You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Another good gesture of Mr. Venkiah Naidu.

Our Vice President Mr Venkiah Naidu proposed another new tradition in the Rajya Sabha. Generally, it is a practice to say" I beg to submit" by any member when he wants to bring out any information to the notice of the Chairman. This concept of I Beg has come from the British rulers when they are in power all their subordinated mainly from in India is accustomed to using this word. The same practice is continued in the Rajya Sabha. Now Mr Naidu as the Chairman of this Rajya Sabha asked the members to restrain from using those words and advised them to use " I rise to present ". A good gesture from Naidu. Members, do you appreciate his nature?
    We always learn from good and wise people. Our Vice President Venkaiah Naidu is the great knowledgeable person and what ever he says there would be great meaning to understand. Some times I feel that by making him the vice president, the government has snatched away a good orator and knowledge spreading person from the limelight and as vice president he has limited scope to talk in public.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I really appreciate the move of Vice President of India and the Chairman of the Rajyasabha. We need such people in politics who can think well and substitute the past with the present day trends. " I rise to present" or" I raise to present" looks good than the "I beg to submit" which was British. I think, Venkaiah Naidu will bring more such changes in the future.
    No life without Sun

A good and bold move to change existing age old practices. But I think it is more related to the way we interpret the word beg. When we hear beg, our mind goes off to seeking help or seeking alms. If you look at the Oxford dictionary, the most common general use is related to 'invite an obvious question'. Anyone who is an English teacher or who have lived in England would have commonly heard this term used as part of a phrase ' I beg to differ' which would mean I would politely differ.
    Another term with a different meaning in a given circumstances is 'owner'. I grew up in my profession, hearing the term 'Owner' mentioned by people who work in an office or establishment. The term 'Owner,' used by his/her staff used to sound very odd and at times even derogatory. How can someone 'Own' their staff. This used to annoy one of my good teachers. He used to always insist on using the term 'employer' and 'employee'. So, may be it depends on the circumstances that it is used and the way people are used to it in a particular geographic place.

Sir, it is invited word using by vice president. I really appreciate you that you took the word from British rulers. But here one thing to remember that any word used by a person it represents his manners depending upon the place and time. Venkaiah nayudu's gesture also is giving pleasure to look because his dressing in such ruling meeting also is not deviated from tradition.

His fluency in Hindi and English proves his designation correctly suited to him and these words also make his respect towards other members of Rajya Sabha.

• Sign In to post your comments