You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

A proposal for New Year: Can ISC form a Grievance Redressal Committee?

The New Year is knocking at our door. Every organisation, every company, every human being tries to bring some positive changes in working in the New Year. As a Member of ISC for more than two years, I propose that a Grievance Redressal Committee may be formed in ISC. I propose that the Committee must function under the Chairpersonship of the Managing Editor. Two other Editors nominated by the Webmaster may be the members of the Committee. Another two ordinary Members of ISC (selected by secret vote) may also function as another two members of the said Committee. The tenure of the Committee would be one year. After one year, another two Editors would be nominated by the Webmaster and another two Members will be elected by voting. The Managing Editor will continue to remain as the Chairperson.

This Committee will look after all grievances of the Members of ISC in all sections/sub-sections. Such step would stop blaming the Editor(s) by the ISC Members and acrimonious debates between Members of ISC and Editors. If any Member doesn't like the decision of the Grievance Redressal Committee, he/she may appeal to the Webmaster. The decision of the Webmaster would be final.

I seek the opinion of the other Members on this issue.
    Soory,
    Managing Editor should not be the Chairman of the grievance cell. The Web Master should be the Chair person. Two editors (one LE and one E) and two members (One Platinum member and one diamond member)should be the committee members.

No life without Sun

It is a good proposal to have a committee with a representation from the members of the site. I feel Managing Editor can be the Chairperson. I feel that will be a better proposition as there will be at least one above the committee. If webmaster himself is on the committee if there is any difference of opinion with the committee, there is no chance for further approaching somebody. The constitution of the committee as one permanet member and chairperson, then two editors and two members (One from diamond and one from platinum) will be good for all practical purposes. The editors and members can be there for a year as suggested by the author and new members will be elected every year but from the diamond and platinum members only.
    drrao
    always confident

I am coinciding with the author and the response given by Sun. The grievance redress committee is must to go through the complaints which are some times prolong for no reasons.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The ISC is going on happily as it is. Let us not complicate the matters and spoil the atmosphere. The only thing needed is self-discipline among us. There will be small bickerings all the time and they get solved by themselves.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

The idea is a good one. The committee can monitor all the ifs and buts among the ISC members as soon as possible. I would suggest having this committee on this channel which keeps a check to ongoing debates and accusations by other (mostly anonymous) members.
    Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

This would just increase the workload of the admin and the editors of the ISC. If we look closely, What are the grievances? It would be common and the rare ones. The common ones are self-explanatory for which the forum is already the place. For instance, article rights, delay in approval, delay in payment, revenue measures and jobs posting related issues. These are settled amicably within time. The rare ones are ones wherein there are personally motivated threads and replies that get too personal. These invite a reply from the ME and then locking or deletion of the thread or reply as per forum admin policies. I think, this is fair and going on well. If there are any particular issues that cannot be sorted or need further attention, the concerned member can write a mail to the webmaster that would leave a trail including the settlement for future reference.

ISC is running good. It will increase the work load on editors etc. Webmasters may be very busy. If you are genuinely concern about something you can always contact webmasters by contact form.

#621517: If "ISC is running good" as mentioned, then why so much vituperative debate in Forum section and regular appeal from the ME?
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence

Partha at #621632, better give it a thought yourself instead of asking questions. Let us not play hide and seek.
    'Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment'- Lao Tzu

Mr. Saji Ganesh, kindly note that my question is a response to #621517. I do not agree to the view "ISC is running good". As I don't agree, I have given the proposal of forming a Grievance Redressal Committee.

I used to play hide and seek during my childhood. As I am no longer a child, I have stopped playing hide and seek. If you want to play this game now, I have absolutely no objection. But I don't want to participate.

So, Partha, we should not be connecting your thread and responses and responses to responses to responses, right? Got it. But, can you be fair enough to give a straight answer to my query at # 621677? Diversions and conversions may be part of the game but I doubt whether ISC is the right platform. You have been playing smart and we know that. Please be aware that the Admin is smarter.

I am sure that my response will be questioned, by the admin as well as members, but, Partha, there is a limit, and you need to be aware.

'Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment'- Lao Tzu

1. I will definitely seek clarification if my thread is deleted.
    2. There are many disputes, particularly in Forum section. I think most of the Members would admit this.
    3. To redress the grievances amicably and in a transparent manner, I gave a proposal to form a grievance redressal committee consisting of Editors and Members.
    4. I tried to inform a Member (most probably a new Member) that his view (ISC is running good') is not correct. I did not blame anybody.
    5. Suddenly the Lead Editor appeared in the scene and sought my explanation.
    6. I tried to explain the event to him. He did not accept the explanation and threatened me indirectly.
    7. Most humbly and respectfully I beg to state that threatening does not always work.

The thread proposes a Grievance Redressal Committee for ISc and seeks members views. The members should be free to agree or disagree with the proposal. At the end of the stipulated time, the thread should be locked and the author can take it up with the admin team about the proposal. I think, It is needless to sidetrack the discussion and get personal.

The proposal has been discussed & not found acceptable.

I request editors & members, both, not to (a) divert threads off-track and (b) get into inter-personal verbal duels. As I said in a thread just recently, it's exasperating!

Do stop. Let's PLEASE PLEASE not start off 2018 like this & bridge this sad growing gap between members and editors. Perhaps before I retire, this gap will be a non-existing thing and my wish will be fulfilled to have harmonious relations between all ISCians?

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.