You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Reward Programs

E-book contest January 2018 - queries and suggestions

Registrations are now open for the first E-book contest of 2018 where you can post a response to express your interest to participate. In this thread, you are welcome to give suggestions or any questions related to the contest. However, please do not put any comments on the chapters which are written by the participants.
    Suggestion for the topic?
    I would love to write a fiction.
    A witch in search of immortality.
    Immortality to be precise.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

What is the minimum and maximum word count for one chapter?
    How many chapters are in this ebook?
    Do you allow pictures to be included in the chapter? (I remember the copyright rules)

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

Srimathi,

The words limit will be mentioned in the contest announcement thread. As of now, there is no limit on the number of chapters. Each member will be allowed to write one chapter.

I like your idea of pictures. We could allow members to include a sketch or an image which is their own only and not taken from any site & submit it as an attachment to the response where they put a chapter. However, the image will not be made mandatory.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

I had suggested at one time for the e-book contest that I could give each participant an element that they need to incorporate in the chapter which they submit. I thought it would add a new dimension to the e-book this time. How about it? Please let me know.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

I think it is a good idea to give an element to each participant. The person should incorporate that element in his chapter. This can be tried. Definitely, it is going add a new dimension to the ebook.
    drrao
    always confident

Giving an element to be introduced is good as long as the participants stick to the plot or the storyline. For instance, I recollect, we have a Diwali Story, wherein guns, drug peddlers, and long-lost love crept in. I feel it would be difficult for the successive writers to continue the story from the previous chapter and link the element. This time also you can please give the general plot and readers can use their creativity keep that in mind.

Introducing an element after the first chapter might help the story to be on track or if you can kick off the first chapter or the first volunteered author might be allowed to start the story and then introducing an element for each chapter might be a better idea. Just a thought!

I welcome the idea of introducing an element for each chapter. This will work as a spice for a recipe of story. Regarding track of the e-book, if we read any novel with different chapters, we can find different themes with slightly different taste in different chapters but at the end, it completed the story. So, I do not think that elements will lead the story off track.
    Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

Yes, I'll go ahead with providing something to each participant to include in the chapter, but will do so after going through the previous chapter so that I can think about how to keep the flow of the story on the main theme. So each participant should wait till I state the element in the main contest thread (this will be easier, for quick reference, rather than mentioning it in the registration thread.) The 24hr.-timeframe will then be applicable from the time I mention the element to be added. This will make it fair, as in the evenings I am not available and may not be able to mention the element the next chapter author needs to include.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

The contest has been announced: The Cuckoo Clock E-book contest - write a chapter, win a prize!

As per my response time there at 11:52, the first chapter needs to be submitted by 11:52a.m. tomorrow.

As I asked earlier, how am I to view the previous chapter? Will there be a pdf or a doc shared? Else the second participant alone will have the link ?

And most importantly. .how and where do I submit my chapter.
    I know these questions seem nonsensical to the veterans here, but I'm totally ignorant of E-book contest.
    Even reading rules thoroughly didn't answer my above questions.
    Can someone help me out a bit?

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Aditya,

All chapters will be submitted in the contest announcement thread itself. So you read the previous chapter in that thread and submit your chapter as well in that thread itself, after first checking which element you need to put in your text. Note that you should not read just the chapter which is immediately previous to yours, but read right from the first chapter so that you follow the story clearly. It is, therefore, a good idea to keep track of the contest thread on a daily basis.

I have written chapter 10. Forgot to write the chapter no on top. Can I edit it now?

Pramilakapahi,

It is Ok if you forgot. Yes, you can edit and add it if you so wish.

Since Tahi failed to submit the next chapter of e-book within the stipulated time, should I write the next chapter using the same theme alloted to her?

I have submitted the final chapter. The winners will be announced shortly. In the meanwhile, please give your input - was it Ok to provide an element to the participants to include in their chapters? Non-participating members are also welcome to give feedback & suggestions for the next e-book contest (we will try to organize one every couple of months.)

However, please reserve your comments on individual chapters till the winners are announced. Only provide general feedback.

I feel this contest went well even though one or two guys not able make it in time due to their preoccupation probably. My opinion regard giving an element to be incorporated in the chapter will be good to the author which will help in making a plot of his story. I think it can be continued in the same in further contests. Participation has to increase and the number of chapters can go up to even 15. That is what I feel. My congratulation to the ME for conducting the ebook contest very nicely by giving elements to be incorporated to each author and conducting the story in the lines of expectation.
    drrao
    always confident

a well-organized contest, the introduction of the element was good, it kept the participants treading the storyline.
    My suggestions would be
    1.after registration of the members, we can shuffle the order so that people who have been early registrants can get a chance to write the late chapters also
    2.The element is good, we can do away with the image/drawing as some of them are not doing it, it looks a little odd to me to have a few images only.
    3.The element concept has worked well keeping the general plot on track. Next time we can also have a theme Eg: Army Life, Lost in a foreign country etc, in which each author will introduce an element as suggested by the ME.
    4.Request non-participants members to come forward for the next contests.
    5.If an author is unable to submit, he or she can mention it early so that the next author in line can pick up instead of waiting for 24 hours or the next author asking the ME can I write etc.

• Sign In to post your comments