You must Sign In to post a response.
(This thread is the Co-Winner of the TOW contest for the week 31st Dec’17 – 6th Jan’18 on topic Jewel )
  • Category: Competition Entries

A jewel around the world.

Forged originally for the Lord Pashupatinath of the lost Indus valley civilisation, I was caught by a horde of Aryan horseriders during a siege. A high purity divine necklace like me was named the "jewel of the emperor" and was sported by the emperor Chandragupta Maurya followed by Bindusara and Ashoka.
    But being a royal jewel for 600 years didn't satisfy me as much as 40 years in the hands of Buddha did. But after his demise, one his followers was assassinated by a greedy Chinese official, who's family inherited me for the next 300 years. But Chinese had the habit for burying the favorite things of the dead with them. I, thus spent next 500 years in a coffin until I was unearthed by few Mongolian grave robbers. These imbeciles were caught by the patrolling Roman police on the silk route and the chief took me to Julius Caesar.
    Again, I regained my regal status. Caesar's brief relationship with Cleopatra, made me the adornment of the world's most beautiful woman. But with her death, I was once again buried in a pyramid for God knows how many years.
    Grave robbers again.

I was brought to Mali, Timbaktu, in 1414AD. World was changed so much. I've seen the riches of the empires. But Timbuktu beats everything. King Mansa Musa threw jewels of the likes of mine into the common populace. I ended up in hands of a Somali pirate who traded me with Portuguese merchants at Tanzania.
    I got to explore worlds when I was with Portuguese. They knew oceans like the back of their palms.
    Brazil, West Indies, North America, wait wait! It's my second time here. I've been here with Vikings,somewhere around 1000AD. Yes, few barbarians from Germany sailed to the Americas long before Columbus. Vikings obtained me by envisaging a Roman colony. Long story!

Portugese and British were fighting for territories in India. I'm back to my home.
    My sly Portuguese owner sent me to the Viceroy's wife as a present. I enjoyed British culture to it's fullest until 1956 when the Viceroy's American daughter in law begot me. She was a heavy drinker who lost me in a bet and I don't remember how I ended up in an auction and was begotten by an Indian.
    Now I peacefully sit on the neck of lord Shiva(Vishwanatha) of Kasi. This very neck was where I was intended to sit 5000 years ago. Huh! 5000 years. I'm very ancient. Wait. Do I see a thief sneaking in? Looks like I'm never too old to journey the world.
    This thread narration reminds me of the earlier 'Me...so and so' writing contests. The write up in a first person self narrating style invokes curiosity of the reader to get the answer at last.

Awesome write up from the author and stands as the strong contender to win this tow topic. The narration were unique and bonded with happenings as if they were done now.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Very very enthralling and interesting piece of history captured through a jewel. The narration is perfect and a good piece of prose has emerged from it.

It could be a plot for a good historic novel as it has a long journey from various countries and cultures around the world.

The coming back of the jewel to where it belonged is the real beauty elaborated by the author in this beautiful text.

Please keep up your good writing. The ingredients in your composing are very creatively woven.

Best of luck.

Knowledge is power.

Thank you so much for the encouragement.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

A very good narration. A good piece of history but the way it was narrated it is nothing less than a jewel. It is like a synopsis for a thesis. good work is done. My congratulations to the author.
    drrao
    always confident

Thank you so much.
    I love to teach people a little of what I know.
    I want to teach history in a fun way.

Congratulations Aditya for a narrative style par excellence. Throughout the thread, we do not find a hint of the name of the jewel, building up the suspense till the end. A nice history depicting the passage of time. King Mansa Musa is still regards as perhaps the richest man so far in the world's history.

That is because natarajan, it is a fictious jewel being passed down by historical figures.

Thanks Aditya, for a while I wondered that what is the name of the jewel or diamond that has such a captivating life history. Great work, even your fiction sounded true.

But Kohinoor diamond and Sindamani aren't any lesser.
    They too have travelled the world.

• Sign In to post your comments