You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you ever tried to cook food with fire wood ?

Most of us are familiar to cook the food with the help of gas stove, kerosene stove , and even the village chullah which is through the coal. But very less people would have attempted to cook with fire wood. In gas and kerosene stoves there would be flame control methods through which we can slow down the cooking or increase the flame for immediate cooking. But while cooking on fire wood, there is no control over the flame and it spreads fast and wholesome. Within seconds the utensils gets heated up and one must be ready with ingredients otherwise the process would have to be scuttled.
    Why not! Still, the villagers use the firewood to cook food. We use the dried palm leaves and coconut tree leaves for making Pongal to our deities. Many villagers conserve gas by resorting to firewood gathered from the surroundings. True, we need to control the flames taking back the half-burnt woods or by pouring water to the fire. It is a pleasure to cook with firewood. When there is no flame, we blow air from our mouth to get the flames.
    No life without Sun

Why try? I had cooked food using firewood. During my childhood and well into my teens we were cooking in our house using firewood only. I also used to do some cooking then to help my mother. It used to real hell to cook during rainy days with wet wood. How much smoke we have inhaled those days?

It was only after I joined a job and started living in a city that I started cooking using electric heater or kerosene stove. We started cooking with gas only after my marriage. Those were the times when we have to book and wait for months or even years to get a gas connection. In fact gas connection came to my native home many ears after that.

So I have experience in cooking using fire wood, saw dust-wood combination stove, charcoal, stove, electricity, gas and now I use induction cooker also.

Firewood usage is a very common method in some villages even today. In our house our grandmother and even my mother has used firewood for cooking for sometime during my early childhood. Generally, a coating of ash wetted with water was being applied to use on the stoves with firewood. They used to control fire by increasing or decreasing the number of firewood pieces. One side of the wood will be in the stove and the other side will be outside. Slowly as one side gets burnt the outside will do on decreasing. Even my grandmother used to splash a little water on the flame to reduce if required. But if the wood is not dry it will not fire properly and starts giving smoke. The whole house will be filled with smoke. So we should see that the wood is dry. My grandmother used to cook food both the times on these stoves only. The servant maid had to struggle a lot to remove the ash that is sticking to the vessel.
    drrao
    always confident

You made me to look back. Now what I am and yesterday what were we. My mother used to struggle to lit the wet firewood and we used to help her to ignite it with a hand fan. The people having a gas cylinder were considered as rich and a poor secondary school teacher couldn't afford to have it quite for a long time. This was my flashback and now it would be a funny enjoyment for my children to have hot water got heated on a vessel placed under the fire of the firewood when they visit their grandparents or the villages.

Even today in villages, I have seen people using firewood for cooking as an alternative to Gas for heating water or cooking.

Regards,
    Jagdish

I have done it during picnic, whenever we went out in my school and college days. Even like many family till some years back in my village, we used to cook with fire wood or using coal. I can say that the taste of the food prepared in fire wood are different and tastier.

Now share the taste of the food that were prepared with firewood and compared with the items prepared on gas stove.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Firewood cooking reminds me of two dishes that taste excellent on this type of cooking. years back my Mother-in law cooked the Dal makhini and carrot halwa on firewood. Both these dishes require slow flames to cook. When the wood was burnt ,it formed coal and that could burn for hours. Dal on slow fire made it more soft and and it gave an earthly taste. Many a times this would be kept on a handi for almost the whole night. Morning it would be seasoned with spices andcream or butter was added to give it a creamy texture .It had a unique taste ,unlike cooked in a pressure cooker on a gas stove.
    The same for the carrot halwa,it needed to be cooked with milk on slow fire and tasted divine.
    The only botheration about this cooking was that the food has to stirred at regular intervals.

I haven't cooked food on wood but I have boiled water using wood once in my village and it's really difficult to burn wood with so much smoke. And since the fire needs to burn continuously and smoke goes directly into eyes when we try to wind it using the pipe to blow air in the fire.
    "It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

Firewood is still in use in various places, especially remote villages. Though LPG is also available nowadays, still firewood is used as a parallel fuel for various purposes like heating water etc.

When I was a child we were living in a town and I used to go to my village where my grandmother lived and she used to cook with firewood only. Though kerosene stove was also available but she preferred firewood as she was much more at ease with it. I also had a little exposure as for to start the fire in the firewood place and how to move the wood in a forward direction time to time so that the flame and its intensity are maintained. As that time I was not allowed to handle it but just by seeing I learned a great deal about it.

Later when there was a scarcity of kerosene oil I helped my parents in making the firewood burn for cooking purposes in an old-fashioned clay pot with a iron mesh on top and place to keep wood logs beneath it. Today when I recollect it was a great experience.

Knowledge is power.

As far as I am concerned firewood choolah is not an old story. Till about ten or fifteen years back we were using smokeless choolah in which wood pieces are used. It is a choolah developed in order to save firewood and free the kitchen from smoke.
    Earlier in my parental home, in my childhood, we were using firewood alone for cooking. Those choolahs consumed more firewood and lot of temperature wastage was there. Only after the LPG became so common the firewood stoves vanished from our kitchens.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

I have not used the firewood to cook but have seen my grandmother at our village who used to heat up water for our baths and cooking on firewood stoves. She had a long hollow metal pipe like tube a foot long which she used to blow the air to get the fire going. We used to have fun watch the dry wood crackle. Even now at functions I take a minute to observe the wooden or coal fire and the sparks flying.

Picture of a coal fire at a dinner party, wherein the wind is sending up sparks everywhere.

Delete Attachment

• Sign In to post your comments