You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How do you greet people?

We all greet each other in some or the other way.
    The way we greet our elders is different from the way we greet our youngsters.
    My way of greeting elders is always with a "Namaste" by folding both my hands in front of them.
    To my colleagues or friends, its a normal "Hi".
    I have seen some of the people greet elders also by saying "Hi Aunty or Hi uncle". Also, there are some youngsters who will bow down and touch the feet of their elders out of respect. Mostly guys greet like this.
    So, how do you greet people when you meet them?
    Does the way we greet someone tell about our values?
    Should I be honest? If it is a teacher of mine I just shout out "Morning!", "Evening!" or something. But if I meet up with a person of my age or lesser I add a swear word to my 'hey'.
    I don't know why I have a bad habit of swearing a lot. I keep cussing people for nothing. And the lewdness of my words increase with my closeness with the person.
    If I just met that person once or twice and not very familiar, I just call out "hey loser!" but with a smile. This cuts down the offending factor.
    Yes. So that's how I generally greet people. But swearing and cussing.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Normally when I meet elders I say Namaste to greet them and to my colleagues and friends, it's hi(sometimes loudly and cheerfully sometime normally and casually depending on the type of situation we meet).
    And when I meet my relatives and family friends after a long time I bow down touching their feet and say pranam to them.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

Greetings others and exchanging pleasantries are one of the best behaviour which is liked by the elders irrespective of whether you are known to them or relatives or even friends. I am very particular about saying good morning , good afternoon or good evening as per the time I meet them. If the elders are seen I would say Namaste or Vanakkam in Tamil. And if I happen to visit some people who are elders to me I shall touch their feet immediately on noticing them. That gives immense pleasure to them and they greet us and treat us from their heart. I am of the opinion that even for the enemy we should exchange the pleasantries and that would surprise him. Those who are not in talking terms with us and if he or she happens to present with our known people , I do greet them and then keep quiet.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

However this seems to be a smaller thing to discuss, I see it a sensible one. Because the way we greet the other one sets up the mood to converse further. Of course, it tells the value of the person who greets. But, the receiver's understanding determines the value of the giver. If the people involved in greeting are from different cultural background, it is a must to know the communication standard of the receiver before any greeting signal you pass.

Coming to elder and younger, obviously there are difference in greeting. I tell "Vanakam" also I mention the relationship like Vanakam athai, vanakam mama. like that. To very close elders in relatives, the excitement on seeing them will be shown in my face and I say like vaanga athai, vaanga vanga.

To people who are younger to me or of my same age, I say hi, hey, all informal tones only. Even younger people who are not that much close also, I am very much informal and greet hey hi hru only.
    The best greeting actually begins with smile and that communicates our respect and love with no words to people of any age.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

I respect my elders and when I meet them I say,' Vanakkam, Eppadi irukkeenga?
    When I meet my younger people, I would say,'Ennappa/Ennamma, Eppadi irukkeenga?

No life without Sun

How do you greet people in different cultures is an interesting subject.
    There are many ways of greeting people. Hand shaking, hugging kissing and nose kiss etc.
    Giving a nose kiss is the most popular greetings in Arab culture. People may think it as an intimate act. No, it is not! It is considered rude for men and women to greet each other in Arabic speaking countries due to its conservative nature.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

I greet others in the traditional way I was taught and brought up. Whenever it is to greet the elders, it is with folded hands saying Namaste or the equivalent words. I am not habituated to greet with'Hi'. I am more comfortable with a 'Hello' when greeting equals and younger people. Then there are gestures without words like touching the feet, bowing head,or an all expressive smile. Most of the times along with the gestures I will be saying words like 'nice to meet you', 'welcome', 'please come',' how are you' or their equivalent,

I am also having the habit of greeting people who visit my house with folded hands saying Namastae if they are aged than me. When it comes to greet colleagues I will say good morning or Namaste. I don't have the habit of telling hai or hellos.
    drrao
    always confident

How we greet is not that important, the intent behind greeting one is more important. There are many instances, I've seen people showing reverence and bending down and a small salute to people with power and money but once they turn their backs, the same wisher foul-mouths them.
    Among friends, it's just a simple with Hey! and a handshake. Most of the time with colleagues it's a little more formal. At our ancestral homes or functions wishing elders would be a namaste and touching their feet, beyond that greeting elders would be a wish with standing up from a seated position as a mark of respect. I see some elders nowadays thrusting their hands out to shake, instead of expecting a namaste or people to fall at their feet.

People work out the amount of respect or honour from the way other people greet them. It is our natural tendency. If we greet a senior or elder person by name, he may feel offended, he will not like it.

We have a very good cultural heritage with us to greet people like bade bhai, dada, kaka, chacha, mama, baba etc. What better nomenclature we like? Some people like to greet using English words. For them there are many like hello uncle, brother, sir etc.

Greeting words are the first exclamation for starting dialogues between two persons and until unless a good start is there the next step will not be comfortable.

Knowledge is power.

Generally, I say 'Namashkar', 'Namaste' or 'Good Morning' to greet others. However, for a dear friend, I do 'kolakuli' (a Bengali word), i.e., I hug him. That is a part of Bengali culture. This 'kolakuli' signifies contact of two souls, and I do like it. During the Vijaya Dashami, Bengali males hug one another.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Namaste, Namashkar, Good Morning, an informal salute, getting up, bowing your head, touching the feet, shake hands, hug etc are only a few of the ways we greet each other. I prefer a namaste when it comes to elders (I do make it a point to get up in case I am sitting), a good morning when it is official or even among friends or people of my own age or younger ones and a hug when I meet a dear friend after a gap. The way we greet people depends on so many things including our relation, the time gap between our meetings, age etc and it also differs from region to region based on the culture and traditions in practice.
    'Not to know is bad; not to wish to know is worse'- African Proverb

• Sign In to post your comments