You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Automation is going to kill the jobs of people - Do you agree?

Living in the digitalized world and moving towards an automated era is what has been happening today.
    Automation means automating every piece of manual effort so as to reduce time and effort put in by the human and do the work in an easy way.
    Being in the field of IT sector, we can observe the process of Robotics and automation emerging and taking over the human labour efforts.
    In our work culture also, the project automation has been the main focus, people are just very busy in scripting every part out and automating every piece where they are seeing the manual efforts either in terms of data fetching or data entry.
    This trend will slowly and steadily kill the jobs of people, although it is good that human effort is decreased. In another case, human labour will be also decreased soon. IT sector has already faced the scenario of the recession in past time but the reason was somewhat different then.
    Automation will soon kill the jobs of people performing the same. I am worried what will happen then?
    From the very beginning of the advent of machines it was the concern of humans that machines will take away jobs and to some extent, it proved right also.
    But machines also created many jobs too, especially for intellectuals. Although the basic propose for their manufacturing was minimizing labor.
    Now the same concern has grown more with the advent of automation and to add up to this artificial intelligence is also, but we need not be that much skeptical about automation and also look for its positive effects.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

The other day I saw a news item where in Robots are tried to work in parlance with the human being and in fact a hotel in Chennai has commissioned some Robots as servers to cater to the needs of the customers ordering menu. Now the Hyderabad police have also started using the Robots to catch those who are regular traffic violators and fine them heavily. Robots are connected to the main computer and the data of each vehicle which violated the traffic rules previously are being retrieved immediately through sensors and thus the Robot would chase the vehicle and catch hold of it on the lines of sniffer dogs used by the police to catch hold of culprits. Yes there seems to be immense danger for the human beings as more Robots and automation would be used in future and the importance of human being reduced to mere supervisors and nothing more.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

No it won't. Why? I want you to read "do Androids dream of electric sheep? " .
    Automation would decrease the jobs that we know. But it will increase the number of jobs that would require a new set of skills.

For an instance all my chemical engineering companies run on a process dynamics control system, which does everything from maintaining an equilibrium in a reaction to opening and closing of valves.
    But the starting info to these systems I.e..; the programming is done by chemical,electrical and computer designing engineers.

In past 5000years, this is the time where humans had the most availability of jobs.
    And this is the time where you're leading the most automated life.
    So, won't the distant future be the same?

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

When a door closed, other door open. This is natural process in our life. What you are talking today, has been said long back. However, people are still managing their life. The life do not stop. If the automation will affect the job, I am sure some other process will start to get the new job.

I would not agree with the fact that automation is going to kill the jobs of people. Being in IT sector since many years, I would say automation will create more jobs as there is a necessity of improvement in automation and it will be a continuous process. Even if things are automated, organization or the automated projects cannot stay as it is even after many years. New tools or more better approaches for automation will arise and that will force the companies to embrace those changes. This demand will ultimately create more job opportunities. One thing to remember here is the people in IT sector need to be ready to up skill or cross skill themselves to stay around.

Regards
    Rizwan

If one avenue is closed or satisfied many others are readily available. The new change itself will propel more new demands. Even in our own life we saw many changes -old making way for new. What happened was that those involved i the old professions or services lost the same and had to be rehabilitated, retrained and re employed. Those who could accept and adapt to changes fast can find alternatives fast.

So I am not worried about automation at all, and do not believe that it will kill jobs altogether.

This is a general belief that automation kill employment chances. But I feel this is a misconception. When computerisation started everybody was of the opinion that people will lose jobs. But the employment potential increased. For automation of jobs also some people required to carry out the work. Afterwards for maintaining the systems also we require some people. So the field of jobs may change for jobs but jobs will be there. So it is a negative thought that automation will kill jobs.
    drrao
    always confident

Recently Infosys founder Mr murthy also told that automation is not big threat for jobs. I hope, new technologies may further increase expenditure of companies in future.

It is not going to kill the jobs; it is going to wipe out the entire human race!
    'Google Brain' announced the creation of AutoML, an Artificial Intelligence that is capable of creating its own AIs. Eon Musk and Stephen Hawkins have expressed real concern over Artificial Intelligence (AI).AI is a demon, we are building it piece by piece and once it take off there is literally no stopping it.Facebook had to shut down its AI because it started communicating in its own language! What happens when we shut it down and nothing happens?
    AI is in infancy and we are already witnessing unforeseen behavior. Its way is faster than biological evolution. It can develop 200 years' worth of technology in less than a week. Now you can imagine its potential.
    Prof Stephen Hawkins says we are monkey people playing with fire.

Automation is definitely going to kill the jobs of the people. I am not much aware of Artificial Intelligence but once developed it is going to reduce the jobs. Let us not consider only the IT sector as it is not the only sector that is going to be affected. For that matter how many IT professionals can keep up with the pace changing requirements? Once the banking sector went for complete computerisation, many of the senior officers took voluntary retirement unable to cope up with the change. It is not easy for everyone to change according to the requirements. The workers in traditional industries will be largely affected as they have to acquire newer skills. The development of technology is making our lives easy but it will take its toll. The population is ever growing. How to meet the demand for jobs for the people? Automation is necessary for certain extent beyond which it will have its adverse effects.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Rao sir... I won't say its a negative thought of mine, but its a bitter truth and completely acceptable.
    Do what inspires you !!

It has already killed many jobs and has a great contributor to today's rising unemployment. Automation has a great thing about it that it reduces human interface at many places and the job is done without the unnecessary and most of the time bitter conversation between the client and service provider.

Automation in its sideways produces some jobs also but in comparison they are small and the net effect is devastating.

What is the solution then? One thing which comes to mind is to increase the activities in the areas which are manual labour intensive. Like laying the network of roads, tunnels, skyways, over bridges etc which may be not of immediate usage but will be required in near future seeing the growth of vehicles on road and rising population. There are many such projects which are futuristic in nature but will help us today to engage the large number of manual labourers waiting for jobs daily in the morning at certain spots in our towns.Only these type of approach can generate large-scale employment and reduce the threat of automation.

Knowledge is power.

In context of India, the manufacturing sector has been growing but this could not generate more employment. This is owing to automation of this sector. Automation has increased the production and decreased the dependence on human factor. But every cloud has silver lining. The silver lining is the requirement of a skilled personnel to operate the equipment in automation.

A similar type of apprehension was expressed during the digitisation and advent of computerisation in India. The time has shown that apprehension was not true. India became a leader of IT sector in the world. Automation will boost the IT sector with new challenges. I think that there is no need of panic and slowly robotics and other fields will be the fields of generating jobs for Indian technicians.

We should read about 'Luddites of England'. Automation is the process wherein, while one door closes, the other opens.
    The simple answer is no. Whenever automation comes in people across various sectors are worried about their livelihoods and jobs. Yes, the existing jobs would go but new jobs will be created. The mistake we do is focussing on the merits of the old jobs and the de-merits of automation. In this process, we forget to adapt ourselves to the change.
    For instance, imagine robots driving a cab or a train, this would mean the loss of jobs for the cab or train driver. Before this happens he should try to learn to offer his skills to the company about routes, practical problems etc, so that instead of becoming redundant, he becomes the interface between the old and the new system.

• Sign In to post your comments