You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Judge a person by his questions, not by his answers!

We have a saying, "Don't judge the book by its cover". It may be true because we can't analyse the content without going through it completely. When someone questions you, your response would be based on the question, its timing and his tone. So, your response may not reflect your true picture. When it comes to the person who poses the question, it would carry the message he wanted to convey and the ideology he believes in.

Judge a person by his questions, not by his answers - What is your take on this?
    I am in agreement with the author. It is always true that the answer will be tit for tat. The way in which the question is posed makes the respondent answer in the same frequency. If somebody asks you the name of your father you will politely answer the question irrespective of the author person. If he is submissive in placing the question you will also respond the same way. If the question has come to in an authoritative way your answer will be on the same pitch. If somebody asks you what is the name of your mother's husband, you never answer properly and may also say as go and ask your father's wife.
    So the mentality of the person can't be assessed by his answers but we can assess by his questions and the method of questioning.

drrao
    always confident

I generally agree with the author on this issue. In schools and colleges, teachers judge the the quality of the students from the questions they ask. But my convoluted mind has started thinking. How will you judge a person who prefers to keep mum-neither he asks question, nor he replies.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

But in reality it happens just opposite. Why to go anywhere, here in ISC itself members are judge and justified by their responses and not by their questions. Generally, asking question is a healthy issue, it means the person has the curiosity to know something. Questions brings the clarity but taken as an offence too sometimes when it thrown out at authority people.

I agree that one should be judge by their question and not response because responses can be different with one's real character and depend on situations and the person whom has been replied. It may or may not project the true identity.

Rightly said by author. Those who have the guts to raise the question, they also know the impending answer but the initiation done by them would be a starter for great debate later. And good speakers are always wanting to answer good questions raised by the audience. Once I had the chance of listening to noted personality Gampa Nageshwar Rao on the students behavior and when he sought the questions after the session no student could open up. But I raised the questions on behalf of those silent students who want to know the answers and yet wont have the guts to ask. He appreciated by gesture.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Partha,
    Your response made me to laugh bigger and I enjoyed it. Yes, you are right. It is difficult to judge a person who never questions or responds. But such persons are more tough and our late former Prime Minister P V N Rao could be a good example for this.

Regards,
    Jagdish

Very impressive thread.
    And if a person neither asks nor reply; observe his/her actions.

Very rightly conceived thought. A person's questions shows you how he thinks and what he thinks.
    Which his answers won't. Answers are given with respect to questions so are restricted and do not show a person's thinking to the fullest .

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

I had heard the title as a dialogue of a character in a Malayalam movie of seventies. I think it was 'Uttaraayanam". It was a'parallel' movie then. There one character makes a statement in Malayalam meaning'it is question that is important, not the answer'. Frankly I did not know its real significance then. By and by only I could get the inner meaning.(I am writing from my memory. If I am wrong please correct me)

Asking right and meaningful questions is indicative of that person's understanding of the problem. When a talk is finished certain speakers will invite questions from the audience. Very often there would not be many to ask questions. That will be an indication that only a few have followed the talk. Asking appropriate and doubt clearing questions are very rare in most of the occasions. If such listening people are there to attend a talk it becomes a very useful talk. If nobody comes with questions the talk can be considered as a failure.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

#622608, I doubt if keeping silent and mum is a sign of tough character. I take it as a weakness and running from the responsibility. Given a situation where one need to clear his stand on which side you are, keeping mum is not a right attitude to do so.

On a hearty note, I wish you have met my examiners, many students assess the examiner at viva sessions and decide this examiner was tough, that person was reasonable based on the questions that are asked by the examiner. I think, it is very easy to ask questions. What?Why?When? even a child can ask questions, Why is the crow black, Why is milk white? But can we give answers.
    In day to day life, the answers are modulated based on the person asking it, his or her authority, the atmosphere, our bias towards that person etc. So, in reality, it would be extremely difficult to give a honest answer to many questions in our daily lives. Many questions cannot be easily answered in yes or no fashion.
    Some times, especially in politics, live interviews or on issues of a delicate nature, saying yes or no, giving any answer can lead to further issues. Hence, at such occasions people side step the question, beat round the bush and move on.

• Sign In to post your comments