You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Cricket

The almost unbreakable world record by an Indian cricketer

12th January, 1964: Madras (present Chennai). In the test match between India and England, India had scored 457 in the first innings. In reply, England reached 63 for 2. Brian Bolus and famous Ken Barrington were in the crease.

The left-arm spinner was introduced. On that day, he made the world record. His accuracy and precision made the two English batsmen defend with their heads down. At the end of the day, the figure of the left-arm spinner read: 29-26-3-0. The bowler bowled a record 21 consecutive maiden overs and 131 consecutive dot balls.

The next day also, the bowler continued his incredibly good spell. His overall figure read: 32-27-5-0.

The 54-year-old bowling world record of Bapu Nadkarni will remain forever. No other bowler would even dream to achieve such figure in an international match.
    Very astonishing. 32 overs that mean 32X6=192 balls he bowled and gave just five runs. Out of 32 overs, 27 overs are maiden overs. In the remaining 5 overs, 5 runs were given. Fantastic way of bowling. I feel the batsmen who faced him are very good defenders. otherwise remaining such a long time patiently without going for a run is very difficult. Consecutively bowling 27 overs and consecutively bowling 131 dot balls is a tremendous effort. In the 28th over for the last ball, they have scored one run. That is what I understand. No batsmen will help bowlers these days to get such a record. because these days batsmen are not having that much patience to wait, watch and defend the ball for such a long time. they want to hit and make runs or otherwise, they will hit and go, The game of cricket has changed a lot over the period of time and now there are no players who know the technic of the game but know how to hit the ball.
    Thanks to the author for this good information.

drrao
    always confident

An excellent record, I have not been aware of this most economical bowler who would be wanted by every cricket captain. Such records speak of the quality and the level of consistency in the bowler. If you look at Indian spinners,
    Dileep Doshi, Ravi Shastri, Narender Hirwani, Anil Kumble, Ravichandran Ashwin all have had excellent debuts. I think most of our Indian spinners, including the famous four, were difficult to play, from the opposition view point, debut spinners were most feared as the batsmen would not have had much time to analyse their actions and learn to play the balls.
    A fantastic achievement by Mr.Bapu Nadkarni, I would agree with the author, this record would stay for many years as the present day test matches are played to elicit a win rather than a draw.

It is a matter of regret that at the time of Bapu Nadkarni, there was no ODI or T-20. Otherwise, this left-arm bowling allrounder would be world famous.

Incidentally, the most economical bowling record in ODI is also being held by another Indian left-arm spinner, Bishan Singh Bedi since 1975.

While I used to keep track of cricket very actively, all these statistics were learnt.

Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.