You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

20 AAP MLAs are recommended for disqualification by Election commission

In an unprecedented move, the Election Commission of India has recommended the disqualification of 20 MLAs belonging to AAP in Delhi. These were appointed as Parliamentary Secretaries by the Kejriwaal's Government. However, the EC has observed that they would attract the holding of post under 'office of profit' contention. The other day we have seen Vice President acting on the disqualification of Sharad Yadav as the member of Rajyasabha.

Fine, it should be appreciated if everyone who is responsible to uphold the constitution as per law would act accordingly. Otherwise, it would be read as a targetted and biased action. What do you say?
    Yes. I agree with the author. The rule should be same for all.No doubt about it.
    The Vice president of India has already set a precedent. That is followed by Election Commission of India and disqualified 20 MLAs belonging to AAP in Delhi. It is good.
    it should be followed by every responsible person and should uphold the constitution and they should act according to the law. I hope it will be followed and see that the constitution is followed properly.
    If one is acting as per law and the other is not doing that definitely it will be treated as biased only.

drrao
    always confident

The Election Commission (EC) has forwarded its recommendation to the President. If the President accepts the recommendation, Delhi will see a mini-Assembly election with 20 seats up for grabs in the 70-member House. Initially, 21 MLAs were named in the case. But Rajouri Garden MLA Jarnail Singh had resigned to contest against Prakash Singh Badal in the Punjab Assembly elections.

The cat is finally out of the bag. Personally, I am eagerly waiting when the famous (infamous) lobby would state that the EC has acted partially!

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Now the President Ram Nath Kovind has approved the disqualification of 20 MLAs. With the thoughts of by-elections, the AAP is quoted to be thinking about approach HC or SC.

Apparently, the petition was filed in June 2015, a couple of months after the appointment of these as Parliamentary Secretaries. The Delhi assembly then passed an amendment to exclude the parliamentary secretaries from office of profit which was not approved by the President.
    This shows that we can still have faith in our system where rules and regulations cannot be bypassed and it shows the power of a simple petition that has been honored by all.

Delhi is now bracing for a mini-Assembly election, which will be held in six months time. Even if AAP loses all the 20 Assembly seats, it will have the majority. But the result would tell us what the Delhi voters now think about the 'party with a difference', i.e., AAP.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

• Sign In to post your comments