You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Nelson Mandela's concept on Education.

In 1990 got independence from white rulers in 1990. Nelson Mandela was at the helm of affairs in getting this freedom. After getting the independence some of his supporters demanded reservations in Education Institutes for a certain tribe. Then he refused for the same and quoted that destruction of a country doesn't require any atomic bombs and long-range missiles. It can be easily achieved by lowering the quality of education and allowing cheating by the students in the examinations.His famous quotation was displayed at the entrance of the University of Soth Africa.
    For me, it looks very logically. I wait for the comments of other members on the standards of education.
    I was not aware of this, If Mandela has refused reservation on the grounds that it would be diluting the quality of education, he has a point. We need to keep the qualification bar at the same level for all. This doesn't mean that we should ignore the underprivileged but we need to and should support them in ways so that they can get more attention, extra coaching and subsidies for teaching materials etc. This would enable us to maintain the standards and also help the people who belong the other sections of society.
    In India, we cannot get rid of reservation overnight, we need to change the way in which we can ensure both as discussed above and we have non-political members advising on these who can understand the impact of lowering the standards of education.

This information was not known to me. If Mandela refused to bring reservation for black and coloured people of South Africa, India must learn from it. In case of India, the scope and tenure of reservation have been increasing for vote bank politics. All political parties are responsible for it.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

What Mandela has said holds good in the sense that even with good education provided and strict vigil kept at the centres during the exams, in the state like Bihar there are large scale copying where in the helpers to the candidates gate crash and even climb the windows to hand over the chits for mass copying. So what I mean to say that even in the so called strict and vigil condition, people are resorting mall practice and all this happens with the connivance of the invigilators and others, there is nothing wrong in the opinion expressed by South African leader Nelson Mandela.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments