You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

For English experts - Is "Mind you" word meaning a "threat"?

Often we have read or hear using "Mind you" when indicating some serious issue. I have seen it has also been used for stopping someone to cross the boundary. However, does it mean that you are threatening to someone if you start your sentence saying "Mind You"?

Members who are experts in English language can put some light on it. So that we should know where to use it and where to not.
    Even I use this word called Mind you and that does not mean harsh word. In fact it is the alert we are issuing to the other person to watch his behaviour and words which are against the expected lines. By saying mind you we are drawing attention to the other person to the core issue and not to divert the topic or matter. The other day the colony maintenance was being collected by the office bearers of our colony and one of them was shouting at the opposite house tenant that he should also pay the maintenance charges as he is also using the road and other benefits. For that the office bearer used the word mind it.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Thank you Mr. Mohan , let me see what other members has to say about this matter.

The phrase 'Mind you' would have different inferences both by people using it and people hearing it. Although, I'm not an expert teacher, I would be cautious when, where and with whom I use this phrase.

In my view, the inferred meaning depends on the context or the background that it is being used and the familiarity and age of people involved. For instance, when someone is much older or much higher in the hierarchy (boss,supervisor, elders), then the younger individual would avoid using this phrase even if he is correct. For instance, I cannot say to some senior members/ authority figures, Mind you, your replies to my thread are biased or harsh, because it changes the tone of the conversation itself and would annoy the other person.

This phrase can be used to drive home a point or to remind friends or colleagues about an important fact or event. Mind you, tomorrow is my birthday, I except some gift from you. Mind you, if you don't pay your tax by midnight, you would incur a fine. This wouldn't be perceived as a threat.

It is a phrase to be used informally between friends or even unknown people on the go. In a crowded lift you can mutter to a stranger - "Mind you, if I get out".

It is more or less a slang version and we restrain ourselves using it with elders or respectful persons in our house or office or relation.

The subtle difference between 'mind you' and 'would you mind' is sufficient to show our respect or relation with the person we are addressing.

Knowledge is power.

So far, no one in the reply has said that the word "Mind You" is a threatening word. I have learned from above response that it should not be used for authority people or elders because it can hurt their "ego" or it can "annoyed them.

Hope people should mind it when commenting their own personal view and making it meaning as a "threat".

Mind you is very commonly used. The way how it is taken varies from person to person. As far as I am concerned I never try to use this word during my conversation with anybody. Generally, the phrase mind you is used to emphasizing a piece of information that is being conveyed. Many teachers use this when they are giving some special tips or instructions to their students. But a student will never use this word while talking to his teacher. It may not be a threating word but it may be an authoritative word which can be used by the boss while speaking to his subordinates but not by the subordinates when they are speaking to their bosses. This depends on the individual how he takes it.
    drrao
    always confident

"Mind you " is used to grasp attention. It is always accompanied by an important fact.

My English teacher always says," mind you! I before e except for c". It was a crucial fact to remember. For an example, the word 'received' where e precedes I.

So, 'mind you' is a caution alert than a threat.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

#624050. Mr.Jeet Singh, when 'Mind you' is used in a challenging tone or during an argument, then the person opposite would certainly perceive it as a threatening talk. It depends on the circumstances and the way the phrase is spoken along with an intimidating body language ( pointing finger or a raised arm).

Well, Mr. Natrajan, no one is so intelligent that he/she can correctly understand the tone and feeling of written words. What one can feel as a threatening may be a friendly tone too. Its all upon a person how he takes other's words. If he/she already have negative feeling about other person, he may never judge it correctly.

• Sign In to post your comments