You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

My question in "Ask Experts"

I asked a question on 20-01-2018, regarding mutual fund investment as follows."What are the best choices for investment for the midterm?" Today I found a question in the Ask Experts section in my name with the question and content of the question changed. Why did it happen like this? About one week back, I found one of my resources on Somnath Temple tampered. I asked to unlock it so that it can be edited. I asked the editors why it so happened. So far none of the editors responded. Once an article is approved, the author can edit it by requesting to unlock it. The author or any other member cannot meddle with it. How come my article of 2011 was meddled by someone. This is not good and to be investigated by the editors and management. Hope the management will look into it explain why it so happened. This is very dangerous for the ISC. The URL of the question is, http://www.indiastudychannel.com/experts/44291-i-want-to-know-about-mutual-funds.aspx
    The editors can change the title and description as per the requirements of SEO. The Editor while approving the question seems to have changed the content and corrected some typo errors as per the edit history. There is nothing wrong to fine tune the content.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

Mr. Patro, go through this and find out what happened. http://www.indiastudychannel.com/experts/44290-i-want-to-know-about-mutual-funds.aspx was posted by Anonymous. The content of this question is shown under my name. This is a serious matter. Go through it and find what happened. Check the URL given in my previous response and also the one mentioned in this response.
    There is no reply from anyone about how the article submitted in 2011 was meddled by someone.

" Be Good and Do Good "

I have gone through the URL and tried to search the reason. The question was posted as Anonymous by another member and your question was also approved in the next turn of edit. Thus two questions were approved. I presume that the Editor might have faced some technical error while approving and gone back to the page where the content of the previous one changed and copied it and pasted in blank space of the content box and resubmitted. Thus your content was replaced, it is sure. It is purely mistake on the part of the editor who approved it.

Now, I have rejected the question in your name and I suggest you to re-post your question. Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Regards,
    Jagdish

This is my observation -

Many times when a member raises a question on actions done by editors, we receive similar sounding responses. On the lines of, 'this must have happened/or this might be the reason/it could be a communication gap'. While it might be right for editors to support their teammates won't it be better if the correct reason is presented to the query?

Is it so difficult for someone on the editorial team to contact one of their teammates to get reasons for their actions? An editor doesn't have to respond with unsubstantiated theories if they don't know the actual reason, to what occurred.

Let's face it, members are penalised with their points being deleted when they submit vague answers bordering on assumptions. How fair is it then to give an official response that does the same? Just my thoughts – My aim is not to start a controversy but to point this discrepancy to those concerned so that they can work at rectifying it.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

I have also noticed this particular case. When Mr. KVRR asked this question, I noticed his question and planned to answer it after the approval. Now I find an approved question against his name, which is also on the mutual fund, but the question is totally different. I don't understand how this can happen.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

I have also seen two questions on this subject.One is by KVRR and the other by Anonymous. As explained by the Editor some technical error might have happened and the concerned Editor is at fault. This is good that the information has been properly mentioned by the LE.
    drrao
    always confident

My question was specifically about midterm investment in Mutual Funds. The question, as well as the content, are changed. Hope care will be taken to see that such things do not happen in future.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

I have answered to the question which has the name of the author rather than the anonymous question. Now the anonymous question is kept and the other is deleted. This technical error is also costing efforts of contributors and am not pointing this to any editor or moderator. If those two questions are answered and while deleting the duplicate one, what are the points you consider to do so. As you know writing a good elaborate answer another time is also hard on us and hence am asking this question. Please let me know so that I will be cautious in future while answering to such questions.
    Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

If a member wishes to be anonymous then it should be honored as long s he or she understands the rules. Articles should not be tampered with, these days it is easy to find out when and how it happened and hence contact the person actually changing it, it may just be an error and oversight or a valid reason that should be mentioned to the author.

As far as AE replies go, do our points get deducted with each deletion that is made?, because as mentioned above, some of us do take time to format a relavent detailed response.

Having clarified the reason at my response #624197, I should not have come back here to respond again. My first response was not casual and based on the verification of the url provided by the author. I was not aware that there were two same questions one by anonymous and the other in the name of the author. When the author prompted me in the subsequent response, I made a serious exercise (late in the night) to verify the exact reason even by going through the contribution part of the author via his profile. The lost content can't be retrieved even by the WM and so I have asked him to re-post the question. This happened due to technical reasons only and we as regular contributors would be facing the same problem while submitting our posts.

Unless it is pointed out, certain cases like the above are not known even to the Editor who has approved it. As such there won't be any use of contacting him/her to find out the reasons except rectifying it or accepting the mistake.

Regards,
    Jagdish

@K V R R,

Can you post the content here as a response to this? Then I will replace the content and approve the deleted post again. This would help other members also to retain their responses (i.e., Dr. Sasikant) and points gained.

Regards,
    Jagdish

The content is somewhat like this. " I want to invest Rs 500000/- for the midterm purpose only. I want the safety of investment, reasonable and tax-free returns. The investment can be in mutual funds or equity. For tax purpose, I have already made an investment of Rs 50000/. I want suggestions from the members as to how the money can be invested keeping in view my requirements."
    " Be Good and Do Good "

" I presume that the Editor might have faced some technical error while approving and gone back to the page where the content of the previous one changed and copied it and pasted in blank space of the content box and resubmitted. Thus your content was replaced, it is sure. It is purely mistake on the part of the editor who approved it."

I wouldn't have taken the liberty to respond had it not been for the statement quoted above, where you presumed what happened and blamed the editor who approved it.

It could also be that the person who approved it saw two questions on a similar topic and thought of merging them. Anything is possible - there is no knowing what happened because we are still working on assumptions.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Mr. Patro, the response of Dr.Sashikant is to the content of the post by Anonymous which was approved in my name. Leave my question and repost the thread in the name of Anonymus as the response suits that content. I will again post my question.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

@KVRR

I have restored your AE question and related response by Dr.Sasikant.

@Ms.Juana,
    I stand by my words. I can't convince everyone. I think I have made mistake by putting efforts by monitoring this particular thread. I should simply forwarded the complaint in Editors' group.

Regards,
    Jagdish

Jagdish,

Why are you going on the defensive? Can I not share my views? You assumed what happened and I assumed what I thought happened. Looks like you don't want people to voice their opinions. Anything that has even a suggestion of questioning your actions, is taken as an insult.

Chill. I wasn't targeting you.

KVRR,

Regarding the second issue of this thread - You stated, "About one week back, I found one of my resources on Somnath Temple tampered." Please provide the article's URL and explain which part of it specifically was "tampered" with. I will check it out.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

@Jagadish

My response to that question is deleted stating that I cannot give the same answer twice. I understand this, but I cannot find where I have answered this question twice. As I have stated above as the question was asked twice (once as anonymous and other time on the name of the original author), I have answered where the author's name was mentioned. Considering you have removed the question which is asked as 'anonymous' (maybe by mistake), I don't understand why you have deleted my response stating that I have answered twice.

No, I haven't answered the same answer twice. I have answered only once and it is deleted. Please, can you explain why?

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

Dr. V. Shashikanth,

We are re-checking. Please wait.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Vandana, the URL of the resource is, http://www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/135831-Somnath-Jyothirlinga-temple-at-Veraval-in-Gujarat-India.aspx.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Vandana, refer to this URL also.
    http://www.indiastudychannel.com/forum/156754-Permission-to-edit-my-article.aspx.

" Be Good and Do Good "

KVRR,

I checked the article and found that I was the last editor to review & approve it. I was totally aghast, though, to see the mess in that article with H3 tags everywhere throughout the text, which is why it was in total disarray. I would definitely not do anything stupid like that, putting useless tags within the text of an article. I am really clueless how that happened.

I have removed all those tags now and approved the article. I have, though, tweaked the title a little for SEO. I have also kept the article open for editing for you in case you wish to make any further changes yourself. Please let me know if the article is fine now and no longer in any major disarray.

Vandana, the article looks fine now. Keep it unlocked so that I can make some additions.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

• Sign In to post your comments