You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Would you hold on or dispose ancestral property?

As Indians exposed to the rapid advances in communication, job prospects and access to life overseas, our boundaries have really shrunk. Moving to remote areas or settling abroad was a herculean task a few decades ago but now its simple online application, interview, contract, visa and a quick flight to US, UK, Australia etc.

Once, careers take off, the younger generation visit their birthplace every few years or so. Caught up in this change is the true value of an ancestral property. Elders from a couple of generations earlier had emotional and sentimental attachments/bonding to their ancestors' properties. Now that value has slowly eroded in most cases.

In this context, given a chance, would you let go of ancestral property for its monetary value to help you have a better life overseas or would you still hang on to it for its sentimental value?
    If I have an option, I will keep it and make it a point to visit the place once in a while to have a memory of my early life and the days I have spent there. If I have no chance to go and stay there, if I am well off otherwise I don't mind giving that property for a useful cause to the society. My grandfather purchased some land in a village in Andhra Pradesh and it was lying vacant there. My grandmother was staying with me and I am the legal heir to the property. My grand mother's cousin was staying in that village and see don't have an own house. So she asked me to donate that land to her so that she can build a small house there. My grandmother readily accepted and asked me. I told that it is better if we give it to her, she will remember my grandfather forever and we have registered the land in her name. Today she made a small house there and staying in that house. Whenever a chance comes she will contact me and express her happiness.
    drrao
    always confident

Ancestors can be in our memory even without their property which would be physically available. Its always good to save and nurture your ancestors property if your well equipped or else it its not wrong to use it as per your requirements to get into to next phase of your life and create a better future for yourself and others dependent on you.

I think modern educated people who are either settled in big cities across the country or the world wont like to return back to their ancestral homes and would surely find ways and means to get rid of their property and go for new one in the city where they were serving. Normally in villages the deli-plated old homes wont get much appreciation and when the people wont live in them, the value erodes and people brand such homes as ghost house. Thus many of the villagers insist upon either to renovate or sell the house.My father was forced to sell our ancestral property in Tadhampettai near Kumbakonam which was a big house as they used to live in joint family. On selling it the amount realised was pittance and we could not purchase anything in Hyderabad and thus the little money was deposited in bank for personal use.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I have seen many ancestral properties to go in ruin as their owners have not disposed them in time due to sentiments attached.

One should dispose these properties in time otherwise they will soon go in a dilipated condition and it will be difficult to sell them.

Knowledge is power.

Deleted

I am personally of the opinion that we must try to preserve our ancestral properties. But then such a decision does come only with so many ifs and buts.

Let us leave alone sentimental attachments because we tend to nurture such feelings with almost everything that we come across in the process of our growing up irrespective of whether they have any connection to our ancestral roots or are even the same, like the house in which grew up as a child, the school/s we studied, the games, the playgrounds, our best friend's house and so on.

I agree with the points raised in the responses above regarding the requirement of settling in a different place as part of our life and also not being able to look after the property leading to its ruin etc. In this connection, it would be pertinent to mention that many ancestral houses in Kerala that were built in the traditional style do no longer exist because the nuclear families today are not in a position, physically or financially, to maintain the same. But still, looking from a broader perspective, I think we need to make efforts to preserve our ancestral property because they ensure a certain kind of bond between family members and helps in carrying on the lineage from one generation to another. Ancestral properties are the roots to which we need to stay attached but the twists and turns of life need not always be in support and we may be forced to take practical decisions though.

I would like to register my appreciation to Neeraj at #624657 for taking the efforts to maintain his ancestral house and to renovate it as a library and not as a homestay or resort as is the routine today.

'Don't miss the Donut by looking through the hole'- Anonymous.

I am the one who really feel sad on the given-up of our ancestral house. As my father and his brothers were unable to track the ancestral house at the village, really a big one,they decided to sell and accordingly they did. As we are small that time we did not know much but I and my elder brother only remember the house. Even now when I think of that house,feel very sad.

• Sign In to post your comments