You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

The First Doctorate from Indian University.

Yesterday I have seen a post wherein it was told that our country is the 5th highest doctorate producer. It sounded interesting and started looking the internet. In that, I found that the first doctorate in India has been awarded by the University of Allahabad in the year 1904. The recipient was Annoda Prasad. The three premier universities of India were established in 1857 at Calcutta, Bombay and Madras. But these universities could not produce any doctorate till then. Thus Allahabad Unversity got the distinction of awarding a doctorate degree and the first person to receive that is Mr Prasad. Interestingly his subject is my subject that is Chemistry.
    A Very good information you have gathered from the internet. India has awarded doctorates not only to Indians but also to many foreign citizens. It is also very interesting to know that we have universities established during the famous Indian 1857 revolt against the British rule. Its a great honor for the University of Allahabad to award the first doctorate in the entire country. Since it is your subject and you too are a doctorate, this research might have given you idea about how the awarding systems have been changed since then till now.
    Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

If this information was added to my thread, it would have further enhanced the importance of that thread and the additional information provided by you were awesome.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I'm not aware of this fact, thanks to the author. It is surprising that the other 3 universities could not produce a doctorate for almost 50 years? A little check revealed that although the other universities started around 1857, actual research work started only from 1889-1900s. Hence the lag time.
    Dr.Rao, you can check this article, It gives the first 13 doctorates awarded in India, 1 by Allahabad university and 12 were from University of Calcutta. (http://www.insa.nic.in/writereaddata/UpLoadedFiles/IJHS/Vol50_2015_3_Art11.pdf)

This is one of the great information for any Ph.D. holder of a student. I am a Ph.D. student and have submitted the thesis in December 2017 from SVNIT, Surat. It is a great feeling that in olden days people were doing research from whatever sources they have. Proud to be a part of a Ph.D. community.
    Paresh B. Gujarati.
    Mechanical Engineer.
    'I'mprovement always begins with 'I'.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.