You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Smart Cycles in AP assembly.

The AP government with concern about pollution introduced smart cycles in the area of AP Secretariat in its underdevelopment Capital Amaravathi. The government already imported 30 cycles and stationed them in the Secretariat area. Inside the secretariat, there are tow cycle stations. Each station will have 10 cycles. Near the vehicle parking area, one more cycle station with 10 cycles is arranged. To the CM used one of these vehicles on the campus.
    These cycles are made of aluminium so that there is no chance of getting rusted. These cycles will have three gears. The people who want use these cycles will be given a smart card and password. With this password, only the cycle will get started. People who want to commute within the area can take a cycle from any station and after completing their work they can give it back in any one of the three stations. Do you feel it is a good initiative? The opposition party may object this as the Cycle is the Election Symbol of Telugu Desam, the ruling party in AP.
    It would be a move to increase awareness about air pollution and vehicle congestion. Apart from this very little would change. I have seen this in MG road area of Bangalore, couple of tourist spots. But there is no maintainance and after the offical event and photo sessions are over, the cycles are chained after a few days to prevent theft.

In the streets, I've tried cycling and gave up. I salute the cyclists who cycle everyday risking their lives with the number of road users you abuse the traffic rules. Do we honestly feel that most of us can cycle to the office, to the mall safely in the congested metros and come back.

So, such events would be only to catch the attention of people about exercise and health. What we need is mandatory rules for cycle lanes in metros with stringent rules for motorists not to misuse it. Once you ensure this safety, then many people who care for the environment and health wouldn't mind cycling more often.

Ever since AP CM Chandrababu Naidu toured various countries for the investments in Amaravati , he was also exploring possibilities of how to keep the new capital clean once developed. So he zeroed on the cycles which are easy drive and the same time would save lots of petrol and also have clean environment. Now the party symbol is cycle and it seems many of the TDP leaders are not having idea of riding cycle. We have to see whether the CM would recruit the cycle trainers for the benefit of TDP leaders to learn the cycling and then use. I welcome this proposal in the greater interest.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments