You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

Do Members feel interested to post responses to their own Forum posts?

As a regular in Forum section, I sometime don't feel interested to post new responses to my own Forum posts. This is due to the fact that subsequent response to my own Forum post enriches me with only 1 point. I think some Members (not all) feel in the same way. This regulation that a Member would get only 1 point for posting a response in his/her own Forum post, sometime kills the scope of interesting discussion. At least some Members like me who bother about scoring points, may not feel interested to post subsequent responses in his/her own posts.

I understand that earlier this system was not in vogue. At that time Members used to get good points for their subsequent responses.

I feel that for the sake of good discussion in Forum and to keep points-loving Members (like Partha Kansabanik) interested, the present system should be changed.

I would like to know the opinion of other Members in this regard.
    You have a point Mr.Partha. The points (1) for self-replies, some replies with the wrong choice of word, replies sounding like warnings, and the lack of responses discourages me from replying to own threads.

Recently I raised a thread on Is it correct for ISC to give space for a Bitcell advert?. All the above killed my enthusiasm to post self-replies.

Imagine if we had a healthy quality discussion, it would have been a wonderful thread for the other net users because.

1. Facebook has banned all cryptocurrency adverts (whatever the reasons) as of now.
    (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42881892)

2.Mr.Arun Jaitely states that cryptocurrency is not legal tender and accounts of exchanges have been frozen.(http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/personal-finance/budget-2018-arun-jaitley-says-cryptocurrency-is-not-legal-tender-government-will-discourage-its-use-2491099.html)

The views of Facebook and the FM might change later but we have squandered the chance to convert a thread to a relevant piece of discussion on this subject because the thread predates (13 Jan 2018) both the announcements in the last couple of days.

Maybe the point raised by you a reason for many not to put replies to their own post. But there may be many other reasons also. Sometimes people place a thread and they may not look back the further postings as it is not worth time for them. Some people may think that why we have to go for discussion. All these may be not encouraging posting in their same threads.
    drrao
    always confident

ISC has been discouraging the authors to respond to their own posts because for every reply made by a members there are tendency to respond for each post and thus unnecessary mentions of the author does not allowed by the site. Hence the present system of awarding one point for authors response has been continuing and that too not for each and every response.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan,

What you have mentioned is a fabrication of the truth.

The reason for reducing points was a decision taken after much deliberation because a few members were exploiting the system and responding to every post to garner points. The author of posts stood to gain because in responding to every couple of posts their points tally would rise. You must be aware of this.

ISC does not stop you from responding to your own threads. You stop yourself because responding to your own threads do not pay rich dividends. So, stop spreading rumours and untruths.

The decision to reduce the points from five to one affected everyone. A few indulged in unscrupulous practices and the webmasters were forced to introduce a change in the point system.

Even now the motive is apparent. Even now, despite repeated requests, a few members respond to every thread, irrespective of whether their response is relevant to the thread or not.

Responses that say something like – 'I have never done blah, blah, blah, so I cannot answer your question' is not just foolish, it is also a blatant misuse of the system that allows members to earn points.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

I feel that if Members are allowed normal points (instead of 1 point) in responses to their own threads, the standard of discussion will improve. If any Members post irrelevant responses to their own threads, the Editors are always alert and ready with negative points, isn't it?
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

"Even now the motive is apparent. Even now, despite repeated requests, a few members respond to every thread, irrespective of whether their response is relevant to the thread or not. "
    This is an open forum and the members have every right to raise a thread or respond to as many thread as possible and for that one should not feel awkward or jealous . And fellow members pulling the other member with their remarks must be stopped. We are all guided and advised by the admin so let that privilege rest with the editors and others staff in ISC.

K Mohan

"This is an open forum and the members have every right to raise a thread or respond to as many thread as possible and for that one should not feel awkward or jealous."

1. Oh please, don't bring jealousy into the frame. The posting patterns of a few leave me amused rather than feeling jealous
    2. The open forum has rules, which are sometimes tweaked to make them more effective since a few erring members take advantage of the loopholes, just so they can accumulate points. This doesn't leave me jealous – it makes me question the attitude of these members
    3. Your posting rights haven't been curtailed, so what are you lamenting about? Your concern is not about not being allowed to raise or answer questions, so why bring that into the discussion. Your concern is about not being able to earn more points through your responses. The fact of the matter is that members want to earn extra points in the garb of 'better discussions'
    4. Refer to last the point in the sentence above – some members go to great lengths to earn these points, often posting irrelevant comments
    5. I call a spade a spade and the truth is often hard to digest. You dissected my post but failed to comment on the first sentence that calls your comment a fabrication. There is no truth in your comment. Members should act responsibly and support their objections with facts. You were part of ISC when the Admin decided to make changes in the point system and hence should be aware of why it was done

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

When my posting patterns are leaving you amused, then desist from making unnecessary comments and blow the balloon beyond proportion.
    K Mohan

"When my posting patterns are leaving you amused..."

Is that guilt speaking? My comment is general, made based on my observations. I speak of members and not you alone. So why are you getting vexed? Is that an admission that you make irrelevant comments?

I will continue to be amused as long as I find people vying for points with irrelevant comments.

Another pattern that I recently discovered is that of a particular member mimicking a few of my forum responses. I am not sure whether the member and I diligently follow the same practices, but it's weird that the sequence of the points in their answers, match those in mine. Inadvertent or deliberate needs to be investigated.

Why are Members getting diverted? If my suggestion is appropriate, let all Members request the ME to change the present regulation.

Partha it seems the admin taking this post to dilute itself in the wake of brick bats from each other and suddenly the editor appears, stating that the post deviated, points deducted and the thread closed.
    K Mohan

Falsehoods are being propagated and they have to be checked, even if that means a diversion from the topic under discussion.

I do not think that the ME can change the rules. The Webmasters will have the final say - the final power lies with them.

My vote is against the suggestion.

1. If implemented it will provide more avenues for members to post irrelevant comments
    2. The editors will have their hands full in regulating comments in the forum
    3. It has been mentioned time and again that the Forum does not bring in much revenue into ISC. So, why should members earning points from the forum stand to benefit more than those posting in other sections that provide better revenue for ISC?

"If implemented it will provide more avenues for members to post irrelevant comments"- I have already stated in one of my previous responses that If any Member (including the originator) posts irrelevant responses to their own threads, the Editors are always alert and ready with negative points. Afterall, they are already doing this. Even now, if the originator submits an irrelevant response and gets 1 point, his/her response is deleted and negative point is awarded.

And I have stated that the editors will have their hands full in regulating such comments. You expect the editors to be more vigilant. Remember that they are not paid employees and devote only a couple of hours to ISC.

Also, despite the fact that negative points are given to posts with irrelevant comments, the trend has not waned. Did you not notice it in your 'meat' thread?

Anyway, let's see what the admin has to say. All I know is that the Forum does not give them good returns, so why should an avenue be opened for forum members to earn more.

Ms. Juana: I respect your opinion and vote. I am only canvassing for more votes in favour of my suggestion!

Mr. Partha,

Edit: I read that as not canvassing

Time and again, we have discussed this issue very deeply. Yes, earlier the point used to be like regular no matter how many times, you reply in a thread. However, some smart members started misusing it. And, it is not once or twice but in daily basis just to get "points". It is easily understand why you have to stretch your words and it is also understand why one post when the response is not relevant to the subject of a thread.

Here, no one is jealous or pointing any finger to anyone but which we are discussing again and again, we should discuss it within us at first.

This matter is well discussed before changing the point system for the repeating response. It can only bring unnecessary contents. I am not in fervour of changing the point system which is absolutely correct.

I have a suggestion. Can it be possible to have the reducing point system for each new response by an original author of the thread?

1st time when he/she raised the thread, points that can be earned: Maximum 5 points (minimum 1 point)
    2nd time when the same original author post a response: Maximum 4 points (minimum 1 point)
    3rd time when the same original author post a response: Maximum 3 points (minimum 1 point)
    4th time when the same original author post a response: Maximum 2 points (minimum 1 point)
    From 5th time onwards, only 1 point should be given to the original author for every new response.

Paresh B. Gujarati.
    Mechanical Engineer.
    'I'mprovement always begins with 'I'.

• Sign In to post your comments