You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Oh My God! Snowfall at Munnar!

Long back, I raised a Forum post on Lambasingi (near Visakhapatnam). I stated that this is the only place in South India which witnesses sub-zero temperature and snowfall. I think the time has come to correct myself. I have come to know that nowadays Munnar in Kerala is witnessing sub-zero temperature and snowfall. It is a pleasant surprise to the locals and tourists that the temperature of this beautiful and famous hill-station of Kerala has dipped to below zero in the first week of February, accompanied by some frost. Locals have not seen such climatic condition in Munnar in February. Tourists are very happy.

Can any Member state the exact reason for such extraordinary weather at Munnar?
    For the first time I am coming across the fact that Munnar in Kerala is also experiencing snow fall which is rare in South India and only our members residing in that state can throw more light on this.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Been there once, Great to hear about snowfall. Munnar is usually cold between november-february. It has had some snow in the past years also. Good for the tourism industry and the locals.

In 2016, in the month of December, I have an opportunity to visit this place with my some of the family members. What a pleasant atmosphere and my wife was so happy she was asking me how about having a small house in that place. She got attracted to that place so much. Really a very good environment. No pollution range. A lot of medicinal plants, gardens and trees. Keeping the entire area green. Generally, the cold used to be severe in the month of January and will get reduced from the Sivaratri day. As there is no pollution here and the atmosphere during summer is also very pleasant and will not go high it is a very good place to stay.
    The reason for this atmosphere may be the altitude at which the place is situated and other geographical features of the area.

drrao
    always confident

Munnar is always pleasantly cold. But most probably this is the first time in last 50 years, it is witnessing snow-fall, and that too in February.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

This thread makes me go, oh my goodness what exaggeration!

Is it really snowing in Munnar or is frost being mistaken for snow? Sub-zero temperatures do not necessarily mean there is snowfall. However, sub-zero temperatures can cause frost that may resemble snow but is not snow.

I checked with friends who have family in Munnar and according to them the temperatures have been pleasant, but it has been warmer than usual. Snowfall, far from it – there has been no frost

From where has the author got his information on snowfall in Munnar. It is fake news. Please stop spreading such news.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

I agree with Juana, is it really snowing or are people mistaken frost as snow. According to weather reports Munnar is experiencing frost, not snowfall. Frost is formed by water vapor in the air at the level of the ground or close to the ground whereas snow crystals form high above clouds and fall down. So with my explanation, I guess the author got some idea that Munnar is experiencing frost but not snow. Yes, it is the first time in many years that Munnar is experiencing sub-zero temperatures in the month of February.
    Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

I know that a village in Vizag experiences snow. Munnar ? I don't think so.

In India people generally give anything from fog to hail the name snow. It is the mistake of populace, not you.
    I don't think an official snow is possible in Munnar, because water condenses so easily there.
    Vizag is a coastal city. Humidity is a lot there.
    Normally one wouldn't even imagine the snow near a coast. Because of the mixture of hot and cold airs. But one particular village on a higher altitude in Vizag, defied my thinking.
    Maybe the suspended moisture in air, got carried away due to a sudden hot air flow.

The water particles in clouds reached below 4 degrees centigrade somehow, maybe because winters were merciless this time around.
    This might have caused a light snowfall.
    The same can be a reason with Munnar' s snowfall.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

The link is given below:-
    https://www.indiatimes.com/news/india/believe-it-or-not-kerala-s-hill-station-munnar-is-freezing-below-zero-degree-right-now-339141.html

Please read the first line. The website is of the Times of India group and is very much reliable.

Nowadays people are becoming unnecessary judgemental.

In the hill stations if the temperatures fall much lower and near zero or minus degrees then the drizzling of rain gets solidified in the atmosphere or near ground. It may look like snow but it is more near to frost or hailstone which are heavier then snow.

When the snow falls it falls as light flakes just floating in the air, no sound of rains, it is total silence, a wonderful experience and this is what distinguishes it from rain or hailstone or frost or fog.

Knowledge is power.

Thank you for sharing the source. I read the first line and the entire article. Is this where you turn to for your daily dose of news? The site appears to host blog posts, by individual authors, rather than news reports by journalists.

The first line that perhaps prompted you to raise this thread does not claim that it is snowing in Kerala. Please read it again. In the next line, the author describes Munnar as "…it is pretty chilling out there". I was there last year, around this time; I didn't find anything in Munnar that could be described as 'chilling'. Perhaps, it was the author's way of describing 'biting cold'. That raises a question about the author's grasp of the language.

Does he understand the terms that he used? Reading through the narrative, it becomes obvious that the author used 'snow' and 'frost' interchangeably. He perhaps thought of them to be synonyms. But, then again, he has not stated that the place is witnessing snowfall.

Munnar is not witnessing sub-zero temperatures. Take a look at the link below to see what the temperatures in the hill station have been in the last couple of weeks.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/@1262463/historic

Questioning something that I find absurd and terming it fake news and asking for its source is not being judgemental. An intelligent mind will always question and seek clarifications. It is presumptuous to expect everyone to believe and agree with whatever you publish. There might be some who accept everything that they read and hear to be the gospel truth, but I am not one of them.

I have deduced facts after reading the article. You are welcome to add a retort and we can continue this debate. Otherwise, I'll take it that I was right in terming this thread as fake news and an exaggeration of facts.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

@Partha

No one is judgemental here. I just gave the info regarding misconceptions regarding snow and frost. In fact, you are rather more judgemental by saying 'people are judgemental'. Oh, I have read that article and do you think it is reliable? Kindly check the article, the author uses both words, frost, and snow. I guess he needs his sources, especially grammar corrected. It is good to have knowledge debate in a healthy way rather than showing some articles as proof which doesn't have any logical value.

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

1. I visited Munnar in November, 2011. At that time I came to know that although this is a hill-station, there has been no record of snowfall.
    2. That is the very reason I had doubt about the article which I read, and so, I raised this thread to get a clarification from the Members living in Kerala. I thought that this extra-ordinary climatic condition was due to change of climate everywhere in the world. Please read the last line of my post.
    3. This is not a post to spread fake news. This was due to genuine curiosity to understand the reason behind such extraordinary phenomenon.
    4. I don't think someone has the authority of giving judgment about fake news or real news. It is only a perception.

Either you're inept at expressing yourself or undermine the intelligence of others.

In point #2 you mention that you had a doubt about the article, hence raised a post seeking clarification…

Your initial post provided the information as a fact. In the 'last sentence' of the same post, you sought participation from members on their views on the extraordinary event. The title screams of snowfall in Munnar.

A discussion can be initiated only on correct information. What is the point of raising a thread, providing false information based on an obscure piece, just to appease your own curiosity? Wouldn't it have been better for you to have got your facts right?

Three members responded to your post before I questioned its authenticity. Your response to them in #625997 reiterated what you had said in the main thread – "…it is witnessing snow-fall, and that too in February". Your 'genuine curiosity' got lost somewhere! I wouldn't even call it curiosity – how can you be curious about something that isn't true?

Let's understand the meaning of 'perception' before we delve into the subject of authority that people are entitled to. If I recall correctly, editors have advised you to quote reliable sources, when raising threads. If the information you provide remains unsubstantiated, it can only be called fake news.

If snowfall ever occurs in Munnar it will make headlines and will be all over the national media.

• Sign In to post your comments