You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why to bequeath wealth to an unworthy son or a worthy son?

There is an old saying which questions the wisdom of bequeathing wealth to either a worthy son or an unworthy son. It says that a worthy son will be able to provide for himself (and his family) and an unworthy son will waste the money in any case and ultimately will have to lead a miserable life.

In view of the above, it is suggested by a believer of above mentioned philosophy that one should enjoy his/her hard earned money during his/her own life without bothering to bequeath the same for future generations.

However, in India normally people don't do so and attempt to bequeath as much money as possible for the welfare of their offsprings. What do you feel about this particular issue?

Let us discuss and try to find any possible answer.
    Nice post from the author. I have seen many parents especially the father seen toiling around in his whole life to create good and happy life for the family especially to his children and in the process he wont eat properly nor enjoy his own life to the hilt. And at the end the properties thus made would certainly goes to the children. But they wont see the welfare of the parent and thus the whole toil goes futile and as a senior citizen many are reclined to easy chairs pondering over their great mistake in life by earning for the family and not looking after themselves. This post would make many to realise.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This is a cultural aspect in our country as parents save for their future as well as for their descendants hoping that they will take their care in old age.

This was the philosophy so far in our society. Now with modernisation things are changing and many children are deserting their parents or keeping them somewhere on the mercy of servants.

So the parents will also have to think in that line and they may be spening their money to themselves. It is still a transitional phase going in the society and new dimensions to these relations will emerge out.

Knowledge is power.

It pains me to see the following incident. One day when I was in the way to my office by bus saw a dead body was on the move from a big house on the road. I heard that it was a rich man's house who is a owner of kalyana mandapam adjoining his house, died in the morning. On the third day I saw the name stone of his house removed.
    In another incident a son left his father's independent house to a flat immediately on the death of father. It hurts me as for this the father constructed the house with much care and involvement?

I feel we can decide the future of our children. We can see that they are well educated and they behave ethically as a good citizen of the country. But we can't give them money for his entire life and expect like that from the father is also not correct. So what I feel is once the children are settled in their life, they have to plan their future and we as parents need not support them forever. As said earlier, I have seen many people who inherited a lot of assets from their parents and spent that money without understanding the value. So I feel it is not the requirement of the day to amass wealth by taking pains even after attaining retirement age and keeping that in the bank and handing over to their next generation. It is always better to see that the wife and husband can manage their whole life without depending on anybody. For that only we should have some bank balance. We are not sure these days that our offsprings will take care of us during our old age.
    drrao
    always confident

I feel parents should not make any wealth or property for their son. Whatever they make, they should enjoy it in their life instead of saving it for their children. Parents give enough education to their children so that children should work hard and stand on their feet. Children should work and make their own property instead of depending on their fathers. Sometimes, looking at all the wealth of their parents, many people become lazy and don't try to achieve anything. They will start depending on their parents for everything.

Distributing wealth/property is purely personal and familial choice which varies widely amongst families. The relationship between father and son remains the same whether his son is worthy or unworthy. The distribution of property or financial help is purely situational and we cannot justify from a neutral point. A father may decide to give his properties to his son (worthy or unworthy) but he may not support financially. The opposite of this case can also happen. To make them responsible or worthy, parents can push them to achieve new targets or pursue higher goals in profession or career by giving financial aid whenever possible. If a father wants to see his son worthy, I guess a father should not give any properties (if he has) and has to morally tune his son to earn his own property but (but) he can provide financial aid whenever the situation is critical.
    Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

As far as immovable property is concerned, that has to be left behind in any case. However, there is a system of reverse mortgage also which though exist in India but has not become popular.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

In the West, some parents collect money for rent and food from college going children to make them realize the value of being independent, even after retirement, they have regular holidays, cruise trips and have a good life after retirement.

In India, the concept of saving for our children becomes the main focus for most of us. In the end, whether worthy or unworthy, everything goes to them. At times, parents are pained to see their own children fighting for the very wealth that they struggled to collect.

I think, if we can save some money, we can use part of it for ourselves and leave the rest to the children. The problem is often by the time we have saved a reasonable amount, we would be past our prime and getting adjusted to retirement/old age.

• Sign In to post your comments