You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Guest from abroad beware with our spicy food

Last Sunday we had a music workshop where an artist from abroad had to perform for us. We had everything ready before time and we got a message that the artist fell sick so he will be late in the program. We had no option but to wait and started our workshop late.

The reason we came to know about falling sick is the artist had spicy food last night and got stomach upset. I don't know who the person was with him who didn't guide him as to what to eat. However, the guest should have little cautious when eating Indian food. People worldwide know about Indian spicy food and they should taste it accordingly.

However, the end was as good as we expected and we took peaceful breath.
    It is true. Many foreigners don't like to have spicy food. But some visitors eat as it will be tasty for them and then land into problems like this. Once in our Organisation, we have a team of foreigners and they stayed in the manufacturing shop for a weak to understand the system correctly. Our factory is in a rural area the food will be spicy only. So we arranged a special food for them from the nearby city. But those people liked the spicy food available at the factory and enjoyed the food. They were there almost a weak. But they never felt any problem with that food. I was not able to eat that and I used to carry from my home which will be very less spicy. So the people should understand what food is required for them and they should be careful in keeping up their health when they are in a new place. Once a team from the US came. They used to wash the fruits with mineral water before consuming. They are very choosy about their eating. We also should be careful when we go to a new place in our food habits,
    drrao
    always confident

Many people in foreign countries take a little amount of spices like black pepper or some local spice and some salt as per taste and can not withstand the spicy hot Indian food though they may like the taste of it. They are habitual of taking boiled food with a little amount of spices sprinkled on it.

For these people stomach upset and other problems with spicy or hot food is very common. If we know this beforehand we can serve them simple food without any chillies or garam masala etc.

Knowledge is power.

Though the happening was funny yet it is a warning for all those even in our country that when the next day is going to be big and important , we should desist from eating spicy food and that will have larger impact next day with stomach upset. In this case the foreigners who are habituated to bread butter eating daily cannot digest Indian spicy food. Especially those who try the hard Hyderabad Biryani late night , surely they must take half next day as the digestion would be incomplete, bloating stomach for for many the stomach would be upset.And those first time eaters will have drowsiness too due to heavy spice presence . In the interest of the program , one should have advised the guests not to have spicy food before the contest begins and this is lesson for all to be alert next time that when ever there seems to be program one must have light food the previous day.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

There's a popular western saying," Whites can't take spice".
    Peppers, chillies, gingers, cinammons and cloves; which normally add spice to food was nowhere to be found in Western world.
    For thousands of years, India, Peru and Indonesia were the only sources to obtain these spices.
    Naturally, though Westerners literally died for spices, they could never really digest them properly. Because the climate they live in and habitats of these spices were polar opposites.

Normally people from cold places would be very excited to eat spicy dishes but their body ends up rejecting them.

Warn your friend about the "land of spices". Because of the abundance we spare no shame in using spices.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

I really enjoyed Aditya's sharing that whites cannot take spice, it is now proved by the author too and it is the fact that our spicy food his very hot to handle by those who are first timers.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is true that most foreigners do not relish nor can they digest the strong condiments that we use in our food. But, there are nations that eat spicier food. Thai food, for example, is very hot and the heat comes from chillies.

Most westerners also do not like the 'chatpata' flavour which we Indians enjoy so much.

People from the western world have lower immunity levels and often get tummy infections due to water-borne diseases. We Indians have stronger stomachs and are better able to fight infections.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Although the whites can't stand the spices, I have noted with amusement that they are very much interested to have spicy Indian foods. Even in London and Manchester, the Indian (along with Pakistani and Bangladeshi) restaurants are doing great business due to their white customers. Moreover, the Europeans initially came to India for the business of spices.
    Caution: Explosive. Handle with care.

Foreigners are intolerant to spicy food. They add their spice only through pepper. But most of them love Indian food and try varieties of indian food. Recently, my husband's boss had come from US and he enjoyed eating spicy biryani and other spicy food like chilly chicken etc for the number of days he stayed. But he was fine and left back without any problem. But definitely, foreigners should be careful about the food they chose to eat when it India because sometimes we Indians only cannot tolerate the spicy levels and end up upsetting our stomachs.

The food at Indian restaurants in foreign countries is mildly flavoured to suit the taste buds of the locals. It is definitely not as spicy or hot as the food available in India.

Take the example of Chinese food - what we get in India is a far cry from authentic Chinese food. We have our version of Indo-Chinese food that we call Chinese. We have Chinese dishes that the Chinese have not heard of. Most of the soups we eat are not of Chinese origin.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Many foreigners have a low threshold of spiciness and especially Indian spices. I have seen this when I went to Kuwait a couple of months ago. In the hospital (where I have worked) there are doctors and nurses of different countries. One of the doctor, from India, bought the 'Kara Boondi' from the regular a sweet shop from Chennai. To my surprise, the Philippine people were too intolerant to the taste of kara boondi. They said it was too spicy. For us it is nowhere near to spicy and to me it is absolutely no spicy food.

Yes, each dish varies by country. The Italian food is not so Italian in India and the Indian food is not so Indian in Italy. I guess your guest performer has no idea of the dishes which have spicy condiments. Make sure he doesn't consume them again.

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

The poor guest had to suffer due to spicy food. 'Delhi Belly' is a common term used by Westerners when a visitor develops stomach upset with loose stools. Maybe he had a mild food poisoning.
    In US and UK, there are many Indian Restaurants that are popular among the locals for Indian Dishes with the spice content modified as per the customer's request. They have 'Çurry Nights' too. Many of the supermarkets sell Indian style curry paste and readymade dishes (tikka, Rogan gosh, Korma, Madras curry etc) all with the level of spiciness indicated by 2-3 chillies.
    So, they do like our Indian food, they modify it like we have modified the chocolates, pasta, pizzas etc. When we travel abroad, we tend to ask about meat, level of cooking, use of raw ingredients etc, similarly visitors also should enquire about what they are about to eat (apart from the local hosts guiding them)..

Interestingly enough, Vasco da Gama had discovered Kozhikode in the year 1498 and had returned back with a huge cargo of spices like nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and peppercorns etc. Also, only the competition among the European countries to control the spice trade had resulted in the colonization of India.
    Thus connection of Indian spices and the western world has a long and checkered history.
    These days I am staying at San Jose, California in USA. This place has many Indian restaurants and we often visit them. It is seen that Indian restaurants are frequented by many Americans also who have developed a taste for spicy food.
    It may be hard to believe but it is a fact that we can find better Indian food here compared to most of the Indian restaurants. One can relish the original aroma of spices in biryani like dishes as in India it is hard to find pure unadulterated spices. Most of the aromatic spices like cloves, nutmeg, cardamom etc. are de-oiled before pushing the same in the market.
    It is true that we Indians can consume and digest more and hotter chillies compared to our western brethren but spicy food doesn't mean hot food only dashed heavily with chillies.
    Pakistani and Bangladeshi restaurants are similar to Indian restaurants and locals don’t distinguish between Indian and Pakistani or Bangladeshi restaurants.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• Sign In to post your comments