You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What happened on 14th February in the history of India.

India's largest industrial disaster till date is the Bhopal gas leakage tragedy. This disaster witnessed about 3500 deaths and almost 2,00,000 persons got affected. This incident took place in the month of December 1984. The number victims reported may be far from true than announced.

The case is filed in the court. On 14th February 1989, the Supreme court of India ordered the union carbide corporation management to pay to 470 million dollars as compensation to the victims of the gas leakage tragedy.

But the victims of this tragedy are not happy with the outcome saying that the compensation is very less than deserved.
    Yes the woes and concerns of those affected through the Union Carbide tragedy in Bhopal cannot be forgotten and the compensation asked to paid is yet to be agreed nor given. Every year on this day we remember those who lost their lives on the crucial Dec 3rd 1984 when the major Industrial disaster resulted in 3500 deaths and over 2,00,000 people got injured and they are still suffering from recoveries. Most of them lost their bread earner , no one to look after them, yet the company is dragging the case by not paying the enhanced compensation as sought by the affected people.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

In the morning of 14.02.1931 at Lahore, the legendary Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev were hanged to their deaths.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

As per the history, these three were hanged to death on 23 March 1931. But some news is making rounds in the social media that these three are hanged on 14-2-31. To confirm this I have googled the matter and found that date of their death as 23//3/31. The people who are good at history can correct me if I am wrong.
    drrao
    always confident

What Dr. Rao has stated is correct.Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev were hanged on 23rd March, 1931 and not on 14th February, 1931. The information being circulated by Whatsapp is incorrect.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence

The Bhopal incident makes many to worry on the human loss but at the same time it alerted the government to drastic step on the safety measures and responsibility of authorities of factories through enactments. Whenever I cross Bhopal I remember the disaster as well Factories act amendment.

Really a food thread through which many of us remember bhagat Singh and others and youngsters may know about them.

Was aware of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy but not of the date of SC judgment on 14th February 1989. If the SC had decided on the inadequate compensation, how they arrive at it? Could they have asked for more?

• Sign In to post your comments