You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Early to bed, early to rise has changed now.

Before, people would follow sleeping early and wake up early. By waking up early we stay active throughout the day and also energetic. We can carry out all our tasks with great enthusiasm. But now early to bed is getting changed to late to bed. Most people, especially youngsters sleep late and wake up late. They can stay awake until late night or whole night but cannot wake up early. The same is the case with me. I can stay awake the whole night but find it very difficult to wake up early. Now I am trying really hard to wake up early to cope up with the daily chores but finding it very difficult as I end up sleeping late. I am so used to that habit that I don't get sleep early.
    Do you wake up early or a night owl?
    Always early to bed and early to get up is better. On an average, we should have 7 to 8 hours sleep. To sleep around 10 PM and getting up around 5.30 AM is always good. When we get up early we will have sufficient time in the morning to attend all our morning routines and get ready in time to reach the office on time. If we get up late we will be in a hurry to get ready to go to the office which will make us skip the exercises which will keep fit and active. So we should make a practice of waking up early. If we are late to bed we will not have sufficient sleep to get up early. so we should make this point sure that we all will sleep by 10 PM and get up by 5.30 AM. Many young people these days spend a lot of time on their mobile and will sleep late and will not get up in the morning. So they will be missing their colleges and schools many times. So parents should see that their children from their younger ages will sleep early and get up early.
    drrao
    always confident

Early to bed and early to rise is a golden rule and still holds its worth if one can follow it.

Unfortunately, our lifestyle and way of working are tremendously changed and we are not able to keep a balanced timetable in our life. Due to late working habits on laptops or mobiles, people are going to sleep by 11 or 12 in the night and eventually getting up late in morning.

Even the usual eating time is affected by this shift in sleeping time. It is now very common for people to take b'fast late and on holidays it is even at 10-12 AM. The lunch is therefore shifted to 3-4 PM.What will happen to dinner in such cases is anybody's guess.

It is very difficult to correct this cycle as the whole family is nowadays following this trend and even a person wants to change it will be very difficult.

Knowledge is power.

For me early to bed early to rise has been working very well. I am habituated to sleep between 9.30 pm to 10.00 pm and wake up at 3.30 am in the morning. In the beginning, I was also feeling drowsy and not liking to wake at at the time when every one was in deep slumber. But body wont allow me to sleep and without even alarm, I wake up by 3.30 am to 3.40 am daily and finish all by morning chores. And feel fully fit during the day , not having any urge for sleep in between. What I feel that one must have at least 6 hours of deep sleep so that the next 18 hours would be cheerful and interesting.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I don't know whether it is authentic scientifically or not, but I am dead against to this rule of Early to bed and Early to rise. I think it is coined by our elders, who had no electricity, TVs or computers and no other work to do after 6 PM. So, they were bound to sleep at 6 or 7 PM. By 4 AM, they would have enough sleep, so they could easily wake up by 4 AM. One more reason for coining the rule in the recent times may be due to vehicular sound pollution. After 6 AM, it is very difficult to sleep near busy areas because of noise created by vehicles. Other than these reasons, I don't find any truth in the concept of Early to bed and Early to rise.

In some houses, the late dinner, viewing a tv program or spending time on social media delays the getting to bedtime and hence youngsters and adults often get late to bed and arise late. Friday or a Saturday evening generally drags along late and people sleep late and wake-up late.
    Generally, in our home, we find that on a working day and a school day, kids get to bed by 10:00-1030PM, adults by 1130PM, on a holiday it's an hour later. At the end of the long weekend or after holidays, it is difficult to wake up on time as kids and we get used to a lazy day.
    I don't think gadgets and TV should delay the sleep time especially youngsters during the study period. Watching TV or working long hours viewing the computer screen leads to fatigue and eye strain, this couple with lack of sleep can make the next day difficult and more lethargic.

I think it is always better to have a fixed time for going to sleep and waking (getting) up (unless due to some other exigencies). It should be a routine affair just as you have a fixed time for going to office or school. Once you start following the routine, you will find that you have a more disciplined way of living. Early to bed and early to rise still holds good and one should try to follow the same as much as possible. Other than helping you to plan your working hours more easily and fruitfully, it will no doubt help you in maintaining good health and allow you to remain energetic.
    'He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.'- Elbert Hubbard.

Join the club. I am in the same situation just like you. I try to sleep early and wake up early but I always end up sleeping late. But I try to balance my sleep time. I usually sleep at 2 AM at night and wake up at 8. I need to be at my clinic by 10. I will have the lunch break from 2 PM to 5 PM. I will sleep for an hour minimum in afternoon and that is a compulsion for me. That is how I am balancing my sleep. Although it is not as good as early to bed and early to rise, I will make sure that I have a minimum amount of sleep in 24 hours.
    Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

It is true that 'Early to Bed and Early to Rise' has changed now. It can be said that now it is 'Late to Bed and Late to Rise'. Though we can still afford to get equal hours of sleep (7-8) even after this change, sleeping at night is more beneficial because there is Quietness and no disturbance. However, there lies a problem. Because there is absolute quietness at night, most people find it quite appropriate to work during night. So, all in all, neither of them is a wrong way of living. Getting up early or late, and waking up early or late, depends upon the choice of an invidividual. However, what is important is that when a person sleeps, no matter what time of the day it is, it has to be an undisturbed and proper sleep. This kind of sleep is more important than the time of our sleeping for us to remain 'healthy, wealthy, and wise'.

Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise, is a well known rhyme ddstudied in our early classes. Our teachers had taught us about the importance of these lines and wished every one followed it.
    As noted in the comments above our life style has changed a lot. Computer, mobile and TV have actually derailed our routine. This has affected the communications among family members. Even the communications between husband and wife are not happening these days.
    Actually early sleeping and early rising help help maintaining health and power of brain.
    Improving brain power makes man more productive and intelligent. Improving health definitely will make more energetic and productive. Both these together can lead to a wealthy life.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

The proverb is like this "Early to bed and Early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise". Few years back, everyone in the family was up early. People who were health conscious would go for a morning walk and exercise. Morning hours are rich in oxygen and that was good for the health.
    Secondly the family was assigned with different household chores .The work would be over before the family members left for school or work. Girls were asked to help mothers before they left school. Morning hours are good for studying too. The atmosphere is calm and the mind is fresh for students it is benificial to get up early.
    When you're up and go for your businesses on time, sure to yield good results. So the saying early to bed and early... has its value.
    Today the lifestyle has changed and we are not able to cope up with time. We don't set up a time - table for the day to day routine. We get up late, we work late, we reach late for our works and we have so much to handle on our mobiles that we have less time left for sleep.

Early to bed and Early to rise makes us healthy. These days rest hours are spent on nets. Too many information and recreation make us restless. Although we are being smarter enough, we are becoming more and more restless. I see many people around us, who are facing mental pressure.They have everything, but they don't take rest.Due to the internet, the works of employees are increased many folds. These days works are given for homes also.

For being fit and healthy we should follow 'Early to bed, Early to rise. A 8-10 hours sleep is very important for us. But due to change in time people has changed the agenda to ' late to bed, late to rise'. Some do sleep late at night and wake up early. When we start sleeping early and wake up early. We feel fresh, active whole day. We will finish morning routine at time, can go for morning walk.
    We are now too much busy in our daily routine that we sleep late at night after using laptop, mobiles etc. So I would recommend all to follow 'Early to bed. Early to rise '.

In my personal life, I still follow the second part. I still rise very early. But ''early to bed''? It has been a distant past.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

We have grown up listening to the proverbs & the saying like as the author has indicated or in the context that she has quoted a saying or a proverb which in complete sentance can be noted as 'Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise'. A bit back to history, the earliest record of a proverb that approximates to our current version that I can find in print is in The Book of St. Albans, printed in 1486:

As the olde englysshe prouerbe sayth in this wyse. Who soo woll ryse erly shall be holy helthy & zely.

Well, if we take the context in which this has been written then our body needs a proper rest as well as a good start which will certainly make our day. If have work hard & rather then having some rest we continue to do job then the time come that we are too slow to carry our jobs efficiently & effectively. In the same way, if we start our day with a refreshment then that will add to the perfection of job in a different way which is otherwise case would never be possible..

• Sign In to post your comments