You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why an international language is required to unite people speaking 22 different official languages?

India has 22 official languages mentioned in the eighth schedule of our Constitution. These languages are -
    Assamese
    Bengali
    Bodo
    Dogri
    Gujarati
    Hindi
    Kannada
    Kashmiri
    Konkani
    Maithili
    Malayalam
    Marathi
    Meitei (Manipuri)
    Nepali
    Odia
    Punjabi
    Sanskrit
    Santali
    Sindhi
    Tamil
    Telugu
    Urdu
    English is also an official language of India. However, we the people of India are united through English which is an international language as well as an official language of India. Yesterday after going through a thread raised by a fellow ISCian for discussing whether Sanskrit is older than Tamil, this question came to my mind as to why an international language is required to unite people speaking 22 different official languages?
    Though 22 languages are there in India, they are scattered across the country and each state follows its own language and that is not learned by other state people. For example those who are in south apart from their mother tongue, they may probably know other south languages, but not Hindi and when they happen to talk with North Indian people , surely English becomes a bridge language. For example in Hyderabad we find people of all regions and state living here and there fore excessive usage of Hindi and English can be felt. Even the bus destination boards are written in English. So the International language has become necessity to have communication.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

In India Hindi is a common language except in two states. They are Kerala and Tamilnadu. These two state people don'l Learn Hindi. But these days all the places we can manage with English. The country is united in diversity. In Telangana,Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka all people understand Hindi and English. An international language may not be required to unite India. Hindi is the common language. Except those two states we can manage with Hindi in any other part of the country. But English is essential for promoting the country and to attract international tourists and for our younger generation toget posted anywhere in the world. So three language formula, one is local language, second one is Nationallanguage and third one is international language is a good aspect and all should follow this path.
    drrao
    always confident

I think we should move away from the debate of why English and not a national language all over the country.
    India is changing and slowly moving from a rural driven economy to an urban industrial driven economy. We have multiple states and multiple mother tongues, it would be impossible for one to learn many languages as move around the country for education and work.
    We have to accept that most of the practical administrative system that is in place is the legacy of the British.So, English has been around along with the other languages. We live in a world wherein the geographical barriers are shrunk and we move out, study, work, and trade with other nations. Most nations will have English as an acceptable language of formal and legal communication.
    The other reason is each state will have it's own groups that will want their own mother tongue as the official state language, enforcing one language and fighting this out will just create more trouble.

"Isn't Sanskrit a foreign language too?" Was the first thing that popped in my mind.
    Ancient Iran and Sanskrit are eerily similar.
    English is a distant cousin of Sanskrit.
    Because German is a distant cousin of Sanskrit and English is just modified German.
    The easier language will be the more popular one.
    English is the most easiest language according to me and is one of the most influential and useful language .

Why not use English as an uniting language then ?

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

The bond of a common language cannot be underestimated.
    Generally speaking, the bond of a common language sometimes overtakes even the bond of religions particularly in foreign countries.
    Take the example of a Hindu of India and a Muslim of Bangladesh, both speaking Bangla language who happen to meet in some European country.
    Most likely, keeping aside their religious beliefs, they will start conversation in bangla language like long lost brethren who met after ages.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

As Ngugi wa Thiong'o, a Kenyan writer, stated in one of his essays, language is not just a means of communication, language is a carrier of culture as well. In English, you would not have terms for our Indian festivals like Diwali or Id.
    In India, English serves as a medium of communication and it does not necessarily ensure Unity. Unity is a term which implies much more. It is culture, mainly, which serves to unite different people. However, communication is indeed vital for human beings for being united. What is however more important is that one has to think beyond one's national boundaries in this time of globalization and English as an international language allows one to do so. English gives us a platform to disseminate our ideas at a global level and what it then does is to ensure global unity to some level, which is as important as national unity.

Can we make Telugu as our national language, which is spoken by people in the region that bridges both North and South India. If Hindi speaking people are ready to learn Telugu, let us make Telugu as our national language.
    Any language, which is not my mother language, is a foreign language to me. For me both English and Hindi are foreign languages. If we go by the response above, even Onam and Pongal are not Hindi terms, so Hindi is eliminated from the list of national languages.

There is a long history why English is popular in India as well as some other countries. The colonial British dominance was the main reason of its spread from England to all other places in the world.

Wherever the British ruled, the local people understood its importance and learned it. Please note that if learning a language is related to job and employment potential, a person will definitely learn the language whether it is easy or tough.

So today if we are using English in India, it is not by choice, it is already rooted there in our history and similar thing stands for popularity of Urdu language in Northern India as this area remained under Mughal empire for a substantial time.

Now it is too late to replace English by Hindi or any of the regional languages as English has made a worldwide presence and even if you do not require it in India, it is a must when you go abroad.

Knowledge is power.

Both English and Hindi are equal to me since both of them are not my mother tongue. I prefer to learn English than Hindi since I can survive anywhere in the world if I know English. I don't find any use of learning Hindi until unless I travel to remote area of few north Indian states but it is not that much difficult to manage it.
    Thanks,
    Suresh.

• Sign In to post your comments