You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you know about a pacemaker?

Our heart beats without any break throughout our life, pumping blood to all parts of body carrying oxygen and nutrients. There is a natural pacemaker in our heart which generate a current that causes contraction of the heart resulting in pumping function.

However, an artificial pacemaker is required to be implanted in case our heart beats too slow or too fast or it doesn't beat regularly or there is a block in our heart's electrical pathways.

A pacemaker uses batteries to send electric signals to our heart to help it pump the right way. The pacemaker is connected to the heart by one or more wires. Tiny electric charges that we cannot feel move through the wire to your heart. It works only when needed and functions when our heartbeat is too slow, too fast or irregular.

Let us share our general knowledge about a pacemaker.
    I have a Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy- Defibrillator(CRT-D) implanted below the collarbone. The CRT-D device sends small electrical impulses through the leads to the two lower chambers of my heart. I do not feel the electric impulses but they help the chambers beat in synchronization. This helps my heart to pump blood and oxygen required to my body. The 'D' stands for the defibrillator. At times my heart rate goes beyond 100 beats. The device detects abnormal heartbeat rate and controls the heart beating by defibrillation. I had this implant placed at CARE Banjara Hospital in Hyderabad. The entire procedure cost me Rs 800000/. I am feeling better after the implant. I have to go for checkup every three to six months.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

As we get aged our heart's conduction system also ages and the heart beating rate comes down to 50 bpm or even less. When it happens we will have fatigue, lightheadedness and confusion. Under these conditions, the doctor may suggest using a pacemaker. But before suggesting that he may also consider other causes for this symptoms and after ruling out all those chances only he will suggest Pacemaker.
    Once the pacemaker is implanted, the battery will last for five to 15 years.Tthe average battery life is 5n to 15 years. When a pacemaker's battery wears out, the pacemaker's pulse generator can be replaced. A pacemaker will not actually make the heart to beat. But delivers energy to stimulate the heart muscle to beat. If someone stops breathing, his body can no longer get oxygen and the heart muscle will die and stop beating, The pacemaker can't start breathing without the supply of oxygen.

drrao
    always confident

There is a small muscular knot in our right auricle (a chamber of our heart). This knot is known as S A node (sino-Auricular node). This node start heartbeat and hence is called pacemaker. When blood is filled in right auricle, this S.A. node initiate sensitivity and this waves reach to walls of auricles and due to this, the walls of auricle constrict. If this natural S.A. node does not function properly, the heartbeat slows down and an artificial pacemaker is placed inside the heart. The total cost of surgery is almost 1,50,000 Rs.
    Honesty is the best policy.

Instead of repeating about how it works, let me give a few facts known to me.

Insertion of a pacemaker is a relatively simple procedure that can be done as a day care procedure. It is imperative that the person or family knows the exact code type of the device and the emergency contact numbers. It is better to keep cellphones away from the shirt pocket when the pacemaker is just behind it. The presence of a pacemaker should be clearly mentioned to medical care personnel especially surgeons who operate using diathermy (cautery), it can affect the functioning of the pacemakers.

Please inform about the pacemaker, if someone plans for an MRI. In the unfortunate event that a person with a pacemaker passes away, the pacemaker should be removed before electric cremation. 'Pace4life' is a foundation that collects pacemaker after it's been discarded (usually after the death of the person who was using it), re-tests it and makes it available for use in third world countries. Re-use of pacemakers has been done in India also.

As a part of general knowledge, people know more about blockages and implantation of stents compared to pacemaker cases.

After implantation, the functioning of the implanted pacemaker is monitored periodically or as and when required. The procedure is known as interrogation of the pacemaker. The technician put a circular device on the chest above the pacemaker area and connect the same with a computer like device which reads the recorded vital data for reference and use by the medical professionals/doctors.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I have never learned about the importance of pace maker and its immense use to our heart in case it slows down, irregular in beating and so on. What I feel that natural pacemaker inserted by God would have been superior and that makes us to live at least for sixty to seventy years. But what will be the life expectancy of any pacemaker which was inserted to a old man say at the age of 70. Will the pacemaker adjust to the heart beats of a old man who is considerably slow in every activity and in that case how the blood also gets circulated when the pumping was slow in tandem with the briskness of the person affected ?
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Yes, I do know about pacemakers. A pacemaker was implanted in my father's heart in November, 1999. At that time I read about the functioning of the pacemaker. Later, the second pacemaker was implanted in 2014. The pacemaker is a very useful device which has increased the life of heart-patients.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

As rightly explained by the author, A pacemaker is a small electrical device, fitted in the chest or abdomen. It's used to treat some abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias) that can cause your heart to either beat too slowly or miss beats. Some pacemakers can also help the chambers of your heart beat in time. Having a pacemaker can greatly improve your quality of life and for some people it can be life saving.
    Most pacemakers are very reliable and comfortable. They're smaller than an average matchbox and weigh about 20 to 50 grams. A pacemaker sits just under your collarbone and will have one or more leads which are placed into your heart through a vein. There are even more briefings in context to the above but that would be more in technical.

• Sign In to post your comments