You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

World Health Organization defines how old is old

How do you define old age? By WHO standards? Or in other ways? Check out the unique perceptions brought out by ISCians of what constitutes old age!

Sixty five years old is not old, but still to be condidered as young, according to WHO. Earlier based on the Friendly Societies Act (1875) in Britain old was categorized by age 50. However, United Nations had not adopted a standard criterion. But recently, 60 years old was referred as the border age to the word 'old'.
    Recently WHO did another research in this topic, accordingly a new criterion for dividing human age has been announced. The same is as follows:
    0 to 17 years : under age
    18 to 65 years : youth or young
    66 to 79 years : middle aged
    80 to 99 years : elderly or senior
    100 Plus. long lived elderly.
    Any comment ?
    Wow that means I can call myself as youth or young and still have 11 years to achieve the status of middle aged as per WHO. But India wont give credence to this new criteria. Moreover given the mortatilty rate in India, majority of the seniors would die between the age of 75 to 79 and that means all will die as middle aged as per WHO. The food habits. lack of nutritious food, having irregular food and not taking healthy food gives rise various health issues and even for the medical treatment the old age patient body wont permit to accept the drugs and injections. So thinking of crossing 80 to 99 years would be a day dream crossing 100 plus and be called as the long lived elderly is distance possible. Therefore the criteria set by WHO is not for India and may be for other countries .
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I think the WHO classification is based on some facts and observation and we should accept the same. In India also after 60 years, they call them as Senior citizens and above 80 super senior citizens. It is good to know that up to 65 years people can be called young. But instead of telling, I am 60 years old. if we say I am sixty years young, it will be very optimistic and we also feel energetic. These days many people do not stop working till they attain an age of 80 years and after 60 only they are thinking of taking rest. So the classification of WHo appears to be more reasonable and encouraging. Anyhow the life expectancy is increasing and we are seeing more and more aged people in the society these days. Thanks to the research that is being carried to in the field of health and medicine. Many diseases are getting cured. There is a lot of scope for the people to be healthy these days.
    drrao
    always confident

Many physical and mental changes take place in old age. Some of such noteworthy changes are as follows -
    Dental issues like tooth decay and infections
    Weaker eyesight - difficulty in reading fine print, cataract etc.
    Bone and joints diseases
    Chronic diseases like hypertension, heart problems etc.
    Weaker digestive system
    Risk of injury from falls increases
    Greying hairs
    Hearing loss
    Dry skin, wrinkles etc.
    Sleep trouble
    Reduced mental and cognitive ability
    Mental disorders
    Memory loss
    Thus we can say that irrespective of the definition of old age by the WHO like organisations, the old age is subjective i.e. it may be different for different individuals.
    The age in which the physical and mental changes ascribed to the old age start appearing, can be said to the beginning of the old age.
    In rural areas afflicted with poverty where people are not getting proper nutrition, signs and symptoms of old ages start appearing much earlier, even in their fifties.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

It's nice to hear this and feel young at heart while the body groans and moans inside.

I personally think this would be misleading in India for the larger section. One, just has to look around to realize the ever-increasing incidence of potentially morbid illness, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, heart attacks, strokes etc. It would be unheard of (death and illness related invalidity) in the 30-40-year-olds earlier, now such instances are being very common. All this along with other chronic illness does take its toll on us in India.

We need to see how this data is arrived at because some Indian senior citizen benefits should not be changed based on this criteria.

There are two categories of old age people. The ones who are old by virtue of age and young at heart and the others who are old by virtue of age and attitude. The persons who remain young at heart remain young even at the old age. One should try to be young at heart without worrying much about age. There may be some physical and health problems but they cannot suppress the youthfulness of the mind.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

• Sign In to post your comments