You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is it right to give up our fasting after the sunset?

Members,
    We fast on many occasions. Every religion has the fasting practice. Generally, the fasting lasts is for a day only. Different people have different fasting days other than the festival days. But there are people who fast only from sunrise to sunset. They say no fasting is effective after sunset.

Is it right? Is fasting applicable for day time only. Can we ignore night fasting?
    Who said that fasting is for the day time only ie from Sun rise to Sun set ? Fasting is for 24 hours and that is the rule of the fasting. But we the human being are habituated to eat at regular intervals and thus find it difficult to fast for 24 hours and hence cut short it by half. And strange are those who eat fruits during fast which is equivalent to taking food. Fasting means, we should not drink water nor touch any food which would give back our energy. In olden days the elders used to fast full 24 hours on Thursdays, Saturdays, Ekadasi, Pournami and other important festivals. But that is not possible now.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Let us review the non-religious fasting also.

A person is assumed to be fasting after 8 to 12 hours since taking the last meal. Take the example of a diabetic person like me. After dinner, I don't eat anything till morning and only then my blood sample is taken for testing 'fasting blood sugar'. Thus in this case fasting between the hours of sunrise and sunset was not involved.

Fasting is done for political purposes also by persons like Anna Hazare. Even father of our nation, Mahatma Gandhi used to go on fasting as and when required. Such fastings are also not observed between the hours of sunrise and sunset.

Fasting is observed before major surgeries also that require general anesthesia. Use of fasting for weight loss is well known to all ladies as well as gentlemen. In such cases also the concept of fasting between sunrise to sunset is not applicable.

There are many poor people who observe fasting i.e. don't get two square meals almost on daily basis throughout the year.

Thus we can conclude that observing fasts between the hours of sunrise and sunset only is not mandatory.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

My view is very simple on this issue. As Mr. Kailash Kumar has already pointed out, there is a gap of 6-8 hours between two meals of an average person. So, it can be stated that the person is fasting for 6-8 hours. In case of formal fasting on religious grounds, people fast for 12 hours or 24 hours depending upon their ability to sustain. Generally, a person can manage to fast for 24 hours without much difficulty. Jatindranath Das, a Bengali revolutionary, did hunger strike for 63 days in Lahore jail before his death.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

Fasting can be done with our without choice at anytime day or night. That's not the question here, as I understand here its about fasting for religious regions.

Since ancient times, Sun is one of the powerful Gods worshiped by many cultures and religions around the world. The concept of day and night primarily was based upon sunrise and sunset.

All the activities related to man right from the single home to a vast kingdom began at sunrise and ended at sunset. After sunset, the time was for recreation etc. Even the major wars in ancient times stopped at sunset.

So, man (our forefathers and ancestors) would have also setup the time for fasting and breaking the fast generally after sunset. Moreover, the worship/rituals of the dark side or the occult is often done at night times.

No God said that we should fast in this way or in any other way. The fasting is decided by human beings only, when to fast and how to fast, what to eat and what not to eat during the fasting. I think, after the dinner on the previous day, (say 2000 hrs) until the sunset on the fasting day, we don't eat but fast. In that way, we almost fast for (4 hrs on the previous day + 6 hours prior to sunrsie + 12 hours of that day) 22 hours, which is Okay. Otherwise, the fasting time is calculated as ( 4+24+6) 34 hours which is too much.

I too strongly recommend that fasting should end at Sunset. At night we should have a lovely feast after the fast.

No life without Sun

Yes, generally fasting practice is doing in the daytime in every religion. I belong to Dawoodi Bohra and in our religion, we fast two times in a year in the nights. We celebrate two Eid (Eidul Fitra and Eidul Adha) in the night after sleeping to Eid namaaz there is a fast in both the night. We can not eat or drink anything unless the eid namaaz (Khutba) complete. After Eid Namaan we give up fast with Date fruit.
    Honesty is the best policy.

There are different practices in fasting. Some days it is customary to fast from sun raise to sun set. But on some other days fasting is from sun raise to sun raise. On Ekadasi day some people observe fasting for 24 hours. Next day only after sun raise only they will eat. But in Karthika masam on Monday they eat after sun set. So that depends on the individual and as per the customs.
    drrao
    always confident

To admit that the fasting doesn't intend to improve religious belief. This will cure or improve your digestion & that's why this has been included & relate to the religious activity so that this becomes mandatory for the person who wants to do it. Still you can't impress your God with this. So if have the capability & strength then continue with a day long or I would suggest to eat if not able to continue for long.

It's not the fasting but your intentions beneath it that is important. So have faith & try to improve the things around you that will include the things which has become a part of life. Like don't throw your wastage on the open etc.

• Sign In to post your comments