You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Does occasional drinking transform into a habit?

During the Holi festival, many people celebrate with their friends by taking liquor and they tell us that they are occasional drinkers and take it rarely.

I have observed these people taking liquor during many occasions like new year or marriage function etc and though they claim that they are occasional but they appear to be taking it on a regular basis whenever they get an opportunity to do so.

What seems to be occasional in the first place converts into a habit or addiction from which it is very difficult to get rid of.

What is your opinion on this?
    I had my first drink in 2012. Since then there have been multiple occasions where I have had drinks but I have never felt any need to have a drink. In normal office days or on weekdays I never drink nor do I feel the need for it. Only when I go out for a party like probably 1 in 2 months or on occasions like Holi do I drink a little. In family functions, I don't drink since my parents like you are not fond of drinking though they know I take beer with my friends.

Same is the case with my friend circle most of which are occasional drinkers. So as far as I have seen out of the 20 something people, none of them has got a habit of drinking. Though I can't say with certainty because I don't have any research to back it up with, but my observation says addicts form a small part of the total number of people who have taken a drink once or more in their life. But then these addicts are the one who gets the limelight, therefore, giving a bad name to all who drink.

In short, alcohol is just like many other substances whose abuse can lead to problems. Drink it in limit and you are fine. I often relate it to soft drinks and fast food that causes similar addictions leading to obesity and consequently many other health problems.

It actually depends on the willpower of an individual. There are people who take liquor only in selected occasions and are not addicted to it.

At the same time, there are many who are addicted and drink on one pretext or other, always searching for excuses for the act.

Any habit formed as an addiction is bad and taking liquor is no exception.

Knowledge is power.

An occasional doings becoming an habit actually depends on the mentality of the individual. We can't make any general statement. I know people who takes very little under compulsion but never take willingly. Many people will be tasting these days liquor during their hostel life and quit it once they are out of their student life. Some will continue the same. But getting addicted to this habit is not good for health and wealth.
    always confident

Social drinking is different than habitual drinking. There are many people who only drink on special occasions like celebration of certain important events e.g. wedding parties, major festivals like Holi or Diwali etc.

However, it is true that the habitual drinking begins with occasional drinking but it depends up to a large extent on the will power, social background and company or friend circle of the individual. In case drinking in the family is a common practice, then there are much more chances that the individual will continue and become a regular drinker.

I have seen many families where the father-son duo drink together whereas in other families, people generally make it a point to not drink in presence of their parents. Similarly, in many families wives object very strongly to their husband's even social drinking but there are families where wives prefer that their husbands drink at home instead of venturing out.

A major social change occurring in India is increase in the drinking habit among women.

Drinking is an evil which should be avoided at any cost. It not only affects the health adversely but involves wasteful expenditure also. There cannot be any justification whatsoever of habitual drinking.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Most things in excess leads to obesssion or an addiction. There are regular coffee addicts, chewing gum addicts and similarly we see people addicted to alcohol and tobacco.

Focussing on alcohol, the party atmosphere or the festive/joyous events encourage people to have a drink and newcomers are also coaxed to have a drink.

I don't think you need to have a drink to stay in a group of friends or at a function. You can refuse if you don't like it. I don't have alcohol but at events, I just 'nurse a glass of lemonade or a soft drink' and be with the crowd.

Moving on the next level (addiction) is easy, if one has a wrong concept that alcohol helps in image building, refusing would lead to being an outcast or when a couple of drinks become too many.

Once you develop a liking and move on to addiction, I think, it would be the responsibility of the individual and his or her friends to prevent one becoming a regular/addict. Here comes the role of self-control, friends and family.

So, yes an occasional drink has the potential to change to a habit and or an addiction but it's entirely in the hands of person having the alcohol.

I agree with the author. Once you take liquor occasionally but when it becomes habitual you do not know. If you do not have a habit of drink then do not take it. Is it compulsory for us to drink on occasion? Can we not celebrate a festival without the drink? We celebrate the festival to make our soul pure from all sorts of evil and we start our festival with liquor. Can we justify this? No, we should avoid all types of evils, especially on our holy festivals.
    Honesty is the best policy.

• Sign In to post your comments