You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

A small and gentle beginning

Raju is a student in the nearby junior college. He hails from a very poor family. His father is no more. Raju is trying to help his mother by earning a little money by way of distributing newspapers in the morning and delivering some fast foods from the nearby place to the people who ordered for the food. His mother works in the fields and managing somehow to meet both ends of the family with the help of her son. Raju is having a younger sister who studies in the school.

One day it happened that I meet him while he is delivering some order in our house. My wife told me about the boy and told me that she knows five such boys in the area. I thought of helping them and I started thinking.

While I am in the thoughts my grandson brought a white paper with a sketch. The sketch is for submission to a competition in his school regarding the safety awareness programme. There is a cycle in the sketch which is painted green. A boy is shown cycling who is having a helmet on the head. There is a box on the back for carrying the luggage. He told me that green is to environment protection and the helmet is to say it is important for the safety while driving and the box on the back is to say self-help is the best help. I got an idea immediately after seeing the sketch and appreciated my grandson for his contribution. I thought let us have a small and gentle beginning.

I called the five boys to my house the next day. I told them that I am interested in spending some money to bring in some awareness among the people about the environment protection and safety. I asked them to help me in that for which I told them I will give them each Rs.1000/ per month for a period of one year. They have to use the cycles painted in green with a helmet on their head while cycling which will be provided free of cost by me. A small chart will be displayed on the cycle saying that protect the environment and save your life by using a helmet while driving the scooters. Some printed material will be given to them in between sometimes to distribute the same along with the newspapers. I got my grandson's sketch printed and given them for distribution on the first day along with a copy of the chart displayed on the cycle.

The scheme started working and these days many people are using helmets while driving in my town and many people are protecting the environment by planting trees. Many college going students started displaying the charts on their cycles. I felt happy that I am able to do a little for a good cause.

This is my entry for the photo story.
    The author has picked the green colour of bicycle also besides the helmet worn by the boy to weave a story for creating awareness towards environmental protection as well as safety. An excellent plot conveying a meaningful message.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

A nice story that has highlighted the need for awareness about environment and safety while driving two wheeler. I liked the idea of starting small and then expanding. Involve youth and empowering them is the best way to ensure that we have a sustainable environment.

• Sign In to post your comments