You must Sign In to post a response.
Want to change your name on your ISC account? Check the new policy and read the rules before changing it.
  • Category: Guidelines & Policies

Alert for ISCians - Name Change Policy

I am announcing this on behalf of the Webmasters.

The Webmasters have issued a policy on the change of name, this referring to the name which you enter at your profile account and which subsequently appears as your name for all your posts, across all sections.

As per this new policy, a member will be allowed to change his/her name only once in 12 months. When you use the 'Change Name' button and put in a new name, you can correct it right away, but only within 10 minutes. This is to enable you to change it in case there was a spelling error or you changed your mind & wanted to retain the earlier name or put in some other name.

General FAQs

Where is the Change Name feature?

Go to: your Dashboard>> Manage Profile>>Edit Profile. Next to the 'Name' box, you will see the 'Change Name' blue button. Click on that and you will be taken to the page where the rules regarding changing your name at ISC is listed.

Read these rules carefully and then only proceed if you wish to change the name.

What if I want to change the name more than once?

There may arise a time when you have a genuine reason to change your name more than once. In that case, you can contact the webmasters via the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page.

What names are not allowed?

An offensive word(s) cannot be used as a name(s). Any name which hurts the sentiments of anyone else will not be allowed. Avoid silly, funny names as well.

What happens if a name is unacceptable?

The Webmasters have the discretion and authority to judge & decide the validity of a name. As per their judgement, if the name is not liked, then they will change it to your user ID.

Note that this policy is applicable to every ISCian, including editors. As per the instructions of the Webmasters, preferably you should use your real name. You can add your initials if you so wish or use the expanded full name.

If you have any query related to the new 'Change Name' feature or the policy governing its use, you may post it in this thread. Please do not ask which name will be adjudged as funny, silly, inappropriate, offensive, etc. As is stated in the text of the rules, the Webmasters will decide on a name's validity.
    Will change name affect Member Level, Total Points, Member Rank etc. of the member concerned in any manner?

In case there is no change in said parameters, then suddenly a new name will appear in ISC with historical Member Level, Total Points, Member Rank etc. attached to it, which may look weird in case no photograph of the member is available to identify him/her .

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Can we change our profile name and keep it something which is not related and similar to our first name or last name? For example, can we keep profile name as "writing fan" or " blogger man"?

Or is it mandatory that profile name should have some similarity with first name or last name?

What if even a correct and good name annoyed the admin? I have changed my name seeing that some people have annoying feelings with my beautiful name Jeet which means winner or win.

However, rules are rule I am replacing my real name, hoping it should not annoyed anyone.

Kailash Kumar - the change in name does not affect anything. How can a change in name affect membership level, points, etc? All that will happen is that in forum responses prior to the name change, the member's name will be different since in earlier responses fellow members will have used the earlier name to address him/her.

Jignesh - the rule clearly states that no funny names are allowed. I would say "writer fan" and "blogger man" are definitely falling into this category & hence would not be allowed. There is no hard & fast rule, though preferable, that the name should be similar to / related to your first or last name. That is up to you. What is required is that it should not be something absurd. For example, instead of Vandana if I change it to Danavan or drop the vowel letter 'a' and put my name as vndn, wouldn't that be silly and downright absurd?

Jeet Singh - why would the Webmasters be annoyed with the real name of a member? On the contrary, they have clearly advised that it would be preferable.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

It is a welcome move by the Web Master. One should have his/her full name with initials, or expanded name, or short name or shortened name or nick/pet name. In any case, I won't change my name SuN until the earth stops its rotation.
    No life without Sun

To prove that the change of name does not have any impact, only after reading this thread, I have adopted a new name in ISC, hopefully for a minimum of one year. Do the Members like my new style of writing name?
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

Vandana the ME, I am obviously not talking about the Webmaster, I know him very well but I am talking about the editors. With them my name JEET does not go well, I have experienced it and felt it.

Partha K. - Do not start a poll on the name change. It is not required.

Jeet Singh - Please do not take the thread off-track with your skewed views. It has been made very clear that the Webmasters are the authority to decide on the validity of a name.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

All right Madam, I think I have touch a nerve asking this. I am going off from this thread.

I think keeping the same name will be always better so that the other members may not get confused. But it is up to the individual within the framework and guiding rules of ISC. We will follow the decision of Web Master. So far I have not changed my name and continuing with the same one.
    drrao
    always confident

All right reserve to ISC and they can do anything to change or do any improvement they want .ISC has full right to do any thing but they will look after their user . Hope Indian study channel do right for their user.

Good update on ISC policy on names. Often we see funny names or sarcastic IDs on social sites and e-newspaper sites. In ISC, the new rule would ensure that the names are neutral and appropriate. I have my original name since last year.

I think changing our name is not compulsory only if we wish. If I am not wrong.

Thank you Vandana mam,
    For your clarification on such a touchy topic. Although I am using my original name as profile name, there is a question in my mind.
    If the profile name and the original name of a ISC member differs, would it create any problem in getting payment?

Anosua,

It is required that the invoice which a member submits for payment should have the original name and other valid details (address, contact no., bank account & payee name) so that the payment goes through. If you see the invoice, there is 'User ID' and 'Your name'. For the latter, the member needs to give the original name.

Thank you Mam,
    For clarifying my doubts. For username I can use profile name and for the invoice I can use my own name.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.