You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Side effects of social media

Social media has penetrated into the lives of people to an extent that for many of us missing social media for a day gives an incomplete feeling which is like a missing morning cup of tea/coffee missing lunch or dinner. Some people even take an overdose of social media. An overdose of medicines has side effects and so does overdose of social media. Let's see some instances.

People enter the lifts, press the floor button and use social media on their phones until the time they reach their floor. Why waste time, right?

People no more like to talk. They like to type and message. More easy right?

Earlier people used to face network congestion while making voice calls and now data congestion is the buzzword. Thanks to Facebook, Whatsapp and youtube.

People earlier made sure that their mobile was always ON. Now they make sure that their Data connection is always ON.

People nowadays never express their compliments face to face but prefer to give a like on facebook and youtube.

Earlier outing with family was a private affair but now its live on social media. Updates like Just checked in a 5-star resort, enjoying the sunset now, enjoying delicious food at a restaurant (with photos) is the modern day trend. Your outing and enjoyment is incomplete if your contacts do not know about it, isn't it?

A husband wishes her wife "Happy birthday" with a virtual gift of flowers on facebook. People should know how much he loves her, right?

People upload their videos and post photos and then eagerly wait for likes and messages like, Great! Awesome! Looking really beautiful! Are we so hungry for appreciation?

Every morning your Whatsapp gets flooded with Good morning messages and photos. Recently I heard that Whatsapp hangs in India due to too many Good morning photos and images.

In one place I read written on the steps. "Watch the steps, not Whatsapp". God save the people!

Social media is a useful tool. Let us use it and not abuse it.
    If we had known about all the potential ill effects of social media to this extent, some of us at least would have learned to restrict its use. Since you have listed all the side effects, instead of repeating, let's see why this happens.

What I feel is, with due respect, we the users have become like guinea pigs with less IQ. Just consider the social media apps, most of them are free or at a nominal cost, there is no charges or limits for the number of messages, images and videos we can send across.There are no peak time charges and the service is prompt. To facilitate all this we have excellent mobile sets, internet packs again at throwaway prices. The creators and the firms of social media have realized the human weakness for freebies and have doled out the goodies, in turn, they are raking in profits with ad revenue and traffic numbers. The icing on the cake is social media is attractive to most age groups. All this has blurred the division between its use and abuse.

So, people embraced it, too much for their own good as it's free or costs very little; they use it because it has become a current trend to staring at their mobile screens as often as they can. Few consciously regulate their usage, so it can done with a personal desire and control over the abuse of social media.

Any technology has its own pros and cons. True, that the users should know their limits in using social media sites.
    The following thread also discusses the same. I already conveyed my views regarding the same in it.
    Why should we blame Social media, when the users misuse it?

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

No doubt social media have become part and parcel of our daily life and we are compelled to use it, if not for us, but for in touch with others who are overwhelmingly using it. No one is against in putting the social media in best use, but every one is concerned with the over usage of the same and many time it has become a addict type of things and that should be avoided. Taking selfies when the train is approaching, taking selfies while foot boarding, taking selfies climbing the train and bus roof tops. These are dangerous acts, and even law wont permit. Be in limits and enjoy the free services provided by the social media platform in show casing your special talent and thus get good name. For example I am using my blog in such way that my comments become highlight for some posts interest to me in social media and thus my way of uploading things has become more famous.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The public is mad after social media these days. They sit and spend hours together on this media. In the pursuit of getting connected to the world, we are getting disconnected with our near and dear. There is no other activity to the people of all ages these days except to spend time on this social media. I know people who are not going to college as they spend the night up to 12.00AM on social media and get up next day morning at 9 AM. A mother of a 5 months baby will always see at the diaper of her baby to whether it needs to be changed. In the same way, every minute people will be opening their cell phones to see any new WhatsApp messages. Many people are not performing their duties because of their over-involvement in this social media. social media is good but it is not the only important factor in the life. Please, not get sold to this mania and spoil your valuable life in this unnecessary activity of no use.
    always confident

We have been discussing this long that people who are addicted to social media may experience negative side effects such as eye strain, social withdrawal or lack of sleep or stress.

We don't have to be a bad diet in order for us to live a unhealthy life as spending more and more time on social media can lead to negative feelings like envy, and even depression.If you spend your time researching problems or arguing with people, you may experience stress, which can have a negative impact on your health. The American Academy of Pediatrics has also warned about the potential for negative effects of social media in young kids and teens, including cyber-bullying and "Facebook depression." These social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook have become a raging craze for everyone nowadays.

Instead this would a uneasy for few that the bad outcomes that the negative effects of these social networking sites overweigh the positive ones.

• Sign In to post your comments