You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What is the best time to buy shoes?

The size of our feet changes as we grow older. Therefore, the size of the feet should be measured each time, shoes are bought instead of using the remembered numbers of the shoe. Also, the size of the feet becomes slightly larger in the evening due to swelling compared to the size in the morning. Therefore, shoes should preferably be bought in the evening.

Not only that, in most of the cases, the size of one foot is generally larger compared to the other. Therefore, the fitness of the shoe should be checked with reference to the larger foot.

Never buy shoes that feel too tight. Diabetes patients should be particularly careful about this point.

Let us share our experiences about buying shoes and the best time to buy it.
    What I normally seen that instead we suggesting the size of the shoe to be purchased the experienced shop sales man would rightly pick up the right size and shoe we wanted and thus it will be a perfect match for our foot. But we wont agree to his choice, and hence insists either little bigger or little smaller size of shoes. Moreover there are difference in sizes when you go for branded and non branded shoes. For example in Koti area, which is famous for the sports shoes, the size always differs when we purchase our regular size. That means they are bigger than expected. So best to wear, walk for some steps and then buy.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I've never followed the time difference when purchasing shoes, most often it would be the end of the day or late evening. I don't think the shoe sizes are made different for right or left foot. Initially, most shoes will feel snug and then we get accommodated to it as the leather slightly loosens or expands.

I don't often buy the pointed tip ones, I go for the square fronted shoes that gives more space for the toes and we are less likely to develop callosities (skin thickening) over the great and little toes. I would agree with the author's advise for diabetic patients. Diabetic patients have reduced sensation in the feet with less sweat and hence the skin condition (especially soles) will be sub-optimal. Whenever possible, it's better to wear cotton socks and then wear comfortable shoes or sandals with MCR ( micro-cellular rubber) soles.

I agree it is better to go for purchasing the shoes in the evening. But if we wear shoes in the morning and the shoes are fitted properly there is no chance of foot swelling. The observation made by the author that one leg may be a little bigger may be true in many cases but it is not so in my case. By both legs are of the same size. But the shoe should be convenient to walk and it should not allow the leg to slip or it should not be too tight. It is better to purchase shoes without laces so that removing and wearing will not be very tedious. It is convenient to have pointed shoes. So I always prefer other varieties only. I always prefer black colour shoes than grey colour. I wear a sports shoe when I go for walking as they are very comfortable. But I always feel good and happy to use slippers rather than shoes.
    drrao
    always confident

Anything that we feel fit into & are comfortable with then it is suggested to go ahead. & absorb.

Adding, that if not required then we can loose the pairs for some time then again we can take it on.

The following are additional tips -
    1. Low heel shoes are more comfortable, safer and less damaging compared to high heel shoes.
    2. Never impulse buy shoes. Spend due time in selecting, checking and re-checking before buying.
    3. After getting apparently the right size, check another set which is half number smaller and yet another set which is half number larger before taking final decision.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I have no specific time to buy shoes. Generally it is done in the evening hours only. I go to the shop. I tell my size. The shop keeper gets it. I Wear and walk. If comfortable, I take it. If not, I go for another set. I like to wear light weight shoes. I hate pointed shoes. Now a days, I seldom use shoes. I use back straps as it is very convenient to me to drive my car and kick start my bike.
    No life without Sun

I think the size of feet does not change during the morning and evening that we should change the size of shoes. I do not have the specific time to buy shoes. When my shoes damaged I prefer to buy new shoes or whenever there is a good quality and good looking shoes in a shop I buy that shoes.
    Honesty is the best policy.

The shoe should only bend where your foot bends (at the joint of the big toe).

2. The shoe should resist being twisted (wrung out).

3. The heel counter should be fully enclosed, high and firm.

4. The toe box region should be deep and roomy as in the case of woodland shoes.

5. The shoe should be a thumb width longer than the longest toe.

6. The shoe should be able to be fastened to the foot by a buckle, belt, strap, elastic or laces.

7. If a heel is present it should be no higher than 2.5cm.

8. The shape of the shoe should match the foot (curved last for a curved foot). If the shape of the shoe does not match the foot, the shoe will be uncomfortable.

9. The midsole of the shoe should be solid/firm yet shock absorbing.

These are the good features of good work, exercise and dress shoes. Apply these standards to your existing shoes and see how they compare.

Very interesting thread by the author. The points added by other members are also equally intriguing.

Normally we do not see so many points at the time of purchasing the shoes and go next day to the shopkeeper to change them on one pretext or other.

I also agree that we should avoid tight shoes and go for the slightly loose or best-fit options. People who wear shoes regularly will generally not face these problems but the occasional users must be careful while purchasing.

Knowledge is power.

In earlier days, elders used to discourage purchasing shoes during the rainy season. The reason in this regard was obvious. Nowadays quality of shoes has improved a lot and the shoes have become cheap. Various alternatives and varieties in different price ranges are available. So, we can purchase shoes anytime, anywhere. But as the author has stated, we should not purchase very tight or very lose shoes.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

• Sign In to post your comments