You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

India's first cloned Assamese buffalo is born!

Congratulations to the scientists of Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes (CIRB)! They have done a great job far away from the limelight of publicity. Director of CIRB, Inderjeet Singh, has announced this to the media. India's first cloned Assamese buffalo was born on 22nd December, 2017!

The CIRB cloning team head PS Yadav has further stated that the cloning team used unique methods and produced this clone calf, named as Sach-Gaurav, on 22nd December, 2017 through a normal delivery. The birth weight of the calf was more than 54 kilograms. The calf was healthy with normal physiological parameters and blood profile. The calf was born to a Murrah buffalo. It was the first to be born in the field, at a distance of 100 kilometers from the cloning laboratory at Hisar.

I still remember the debate and discussion held after the birth of first cloned sheep, Dolly, in the UK. But the independent achievement of Indian veterinary scientists with a shoe-string budget is neglected by all.

I sincerely hope that this significant achievement will help in developing more healthy domestic animals in India capable of producing more milk and meat.
    Congrats to the scientists for creating a cloned buffalo and this will pave way for equivalent distribution of cattle in those states which having the shortage. But how far the cloned buffalo will be superior and good than the natural one. This has to be seen and believed.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Congratulations to all the scientist of CIRB for the first cloned Assamese buffalo. It is really a good news for all the science lover. I all the want to congratulate all the persons who played important role in the research directly or indirectly.
    Honesty is the best policy.

Congratulations to the CIRB crew for their excellent research and the development they have achieved. Indian scientists are no way less than any other country scientists. In fact, they will be ahead of many other country's same communities. I think it is a good break in cloning achievements and we will many more such inventions in the coming years. Really they made our country proud.
    drrao
    always confident

Cloning is only successful if the clone can reproduce freely.
    But again, if cloning is made possible, there's no reason to reproduce.
    I just hope this buffalo is both virile and long-living.

Cloning comes with certain disadvantages. Since in cloning only one of the parent DNA is passed on..immunity will rapidly diminish in the future generation.
    Cloning hence should not be patronized in large scale.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Cloning is a process which is used to produce genetically identical copies of biological entities e.g. animals. Cloning occurs naturally also e.g. bacteria, produce genetically identical offspring through a process called asexual reproduction. However, animals are cloned using artificial cloning process.

In India, first buffalo calf was cloned in the year 2009 by the National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal and the second cloned buffalo calf was produced at Central Institute for Research on Buffaloes (CIRB) in the year 2016.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Congratulations to the Indian team for this achievement for cloning the Assamese buffalo. I thought this was done in India already, We had the Samrupa, the world's first cloned buffalo (died after 5 days). Then in 2009, we had the Noorie, world's first cloned pashmina goat.

• Sign In to post your comments