1. Mr. SuN has started a very good thread. I am going to submit my response from my study of Parliamentary Procedure (all Officers of Central Secretariat have to study this subject in detail during their training). My response is not on behalf of any political party.
2. No Confidence motion and Adjournment motion are two most potent weapons in the hands of the Opposition parties in Lok Sabha to discuss the activities of the Government. No Confidence Motion can be brought only when 1/10th of the Members support the motion in writing. This means, at least 55 members of Lok Sabha (out of total 545 members) have to give it in writing that they support the No Confidence motion. Only then the motion is allowed to be discussed.
3. No Confidence motion can't be tabled by the ruling party because they can't have ''no confidence'' in their own Government. After the motion is discussed in detail, when the Prime Minister, as the head of the Cabinet, has to reply, the motion is put to vote. If the Government is defeated in the voting, the Prime Minister has to resign. That is the importance of No Confidence motion. In case of any other motion, there is no need for the Government to resign, even if it is defeated in the Parliament.
4. A Member of ISC has talked about such motion against Atal Bihari Vajpayee Government. I request the Member to check the records. Vajpayee lost the Confidence motion by one vote, which was brought by its own Government. That was NOT a No Confidence motion.
5. Whenever a No Confidence motion is scheduled to be discussed, every party issues whip to its members. Whip means direction regarding voting, i.e., whether to support the motion, or to vote against the motion, or to abstain from voting. If any member does not abide by the whip, he/she will be automatically sus[ended from his/her own party. BJP will also issue whip to its MPs prior to the voting of the oncoming No Confidence motion.
6. It must also be remembered that during the discussion of No Confidence motion, all activities of the Government, not any particular issue, are discussed. Detailed discussion will be held on Government's performance-not only a single issue of granting special status to any state.
Beware! I question everything and everybody.