You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Another setback to organ donation movement in India

Only two months ago I raised a thread objecting the action of a former cricketer. The ex-cricketer first pledged to donate his organs after death, but later backtracked citing religious reasons. In that thread, a lady Member of ISC excellently argued that organ donation was not against the religion. I was very happy reading the argument of the lady Member.

But yesterday, another news had made me sad. A doctor named Arshad Mansuri had pledged to donate his organs after his death. But the religious leaders of his community in Kanpur have issued a 'fatwa' against organ donation and excommunicated Dr. Mansuri.

I am feeling very sad. Issue of such 'fatwa' is another big jolt to the organ donation movement in India.
    According to fatwa issued by the clerics since human body is a property of Allah, it cannot be donated.

As per newspaper reports, Mufti Syed Azfar Hussain of the Madrasa Darul Uloom Quran has said that "We can only donate what belongs to us. The human body belongs to Allah even after death and it is un-Islamic to part with it for any cause. After death, the body should be buried with all due respect." The fatwa also reads "Donating human body is illegal and un-Islamic and is against the wishes of Allah."

Since it is a religious issue, I find myself not competent to offer any comment on the subject matter.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

No religion says that we can donate or we can't donate our Organs. These are all the interpretations of the so-called big people of the religion will create these issues as good or bad. It is the decision of the individual to donate or not to donate and the person has to communicate his decision to his family before announcing. But I fail to understand why a 3rd person has to object. There is no logic in this. God is a belief and we don't know which act he will feel happy. Doin good and practising well is what a human being has to do. In no way, Organ donation is going to harm the individual during his lifetime. So it is correct to object these actions to a religion.
    Definitely, these hindrances will affect the organ donation activities in India in a negative way. So the government has to think of a good solution for this problem.

drrao
    always confident

In India, people are reluctant to donate their organs to be used after their death. Here there is no point in bringing religion. Whether there is a fatwa or not, people of any religion are not interested in donating their organs. We all know very well that the organs will be useful to others after we die but we ourselves do not do it.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Mr. KVRR is correct. Very few people in India are interested in organ donation. That is the precise reason, such 'fatwa' must be very very strongly condemned. Such 'fatwa' would make people more reluctant to donate organs.

Not only that, this 'fatwa' is indirectly threatening interested people (to donate organs after death) to excommunicate them from the religious fold.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

I think there should be an ordinance to make it compulsory to donate organs by all the people. This will be a good initiative if the government promulgates such an ordinance.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Today I am in a mode to debate.
    1. Mr. KVRR in his latest response has talked about Ordinance. As a democracy-loving citizen, he should not talk about promulgating an Ordinance. He definitely knows that Ordinance is promulgated to bypass the Parliament and it is a temporary measure for six months. For a noble gesture suggested by Mr. KVRR, all parties must agree to the proposal and a proper Bill must be passed. Isn't it?
    2. In India, there is no compulsion. Even conscription is not allowed. Joining armed forces is voluntary. Then why organ donation be made compulsory? Mr. KVRR may please reply.
    3. Just now, I have checked and found that 22,500 people die in India everyday. So, compulsory organ donation would generate 45,000 kidneys, 45,000 eyes, 22,500 livers, 22,500 hearts, 45,000 lungs, and intestines of 22,500 people. The actual requirement is not even 10% of this. So, what should the hospitals do with such organs? There is not enough storage facility of such huge number of organs available. Mr. KVRR may also give his valuable suggestion in this regard.
    4. Expectedly, Mr. KVRR has not stated anything about the present issue. Should anyone/any organisation resist a voluntary organ donor? Why is he avoiding the issue? Is he afraid to discuss the issue? Why?

"Donating human body is illegal and un-Islamic and is against the wishes of Allah." if Muslim believe this why they accept the organ of other community. When they are dyeing they will take organs of other and when somebody needs they will not donate and will bring religion in between. This is bauble standard. They should also not accept the organs of other.

The greatest wealth in this world is mental peace and good health.

1. It is not unusual to promulgate Ordinances in India. 679 Ordinances were promulgated until December 2014. The present government promulgated 22 Ordinances so far. There is nothing undemocratic. An Ordinance is promulgated when the Parliament is not in session. To gather the support of all the political parties is the responsibility of the government.
    2. The Joint Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence made a recommendation for the compulsory military training of 5 years for the aspirants of gazetted rank jobs in the Central and State Governments. In a peacetime when such a recommendation can be made, why not about organ donation?
    3. Excessive organs can be made available to all the underdeveloped countries and to all those countries which need them as a humanitarian gesture.
    4. It is a matter of religious nature and I am not going to delve into it. It is for the respective religions to decide on it.

" Be Good and Do Good "

1. All the political parties must support the Government on such noble issue. Why should the Government have to persuade other parties? Are those leaders small children?
    2. Although I personally support conscription, in India, joining armed forces is voluntary, even if JPC has recommended compulsory armed force service for Gazetted Officers.
    3. If organ donation is made compulsory, won't some religious leaders object? This thread has been raised to discuss the objection to a single voluntary organ donation. What would happen when all people would be forced to donate organs after their death?
    4. So, we will donate organs for the people of other countries. But to arrange storage facilities for so many organs?

Mr. Partha, do you think my proposal is good or not? Let us think above the narrow perspectives and discuss.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Organ donation is an emotionally taxing situation for the family of the person concerned. It's one thing to say that I will donate my organs but it's an entirely different kettle of fish when it comes to actually signing (the blood relatives) to release forms for the doctors to proceed with organ donation.

Eye donation has been well accepted because the 'mutilation' of the deceased is not too much and the eyes are kept closed until the last rites.

Solid Organ donation (liver, kidney etc) becomes an issue because it is perceived like an invasion of the body cavities to harvest the organs and it takes time. During this time the decision can change based on who is calling the shots in the family.

With regards to religion and fatwa etc, it is best left to the individual and the community leaders to decide. Take for instance, Jeovah's witness, some of them are staunch practioners of Jeovah's witness that they would rather die but not recieve blood transfusion to save their lives. Here the community and the people are very well aware of the importance of life and the need for transfuion of precious blood but the choose to forego it and it is accepted.

Organ donation, according to me should never be compulsory. It should be willful because the person has every right to donate or not to donate, and we should respect it. Look at blood donation, a few years ago blood was bought and sold, now such an occurrence is a rarity. So, too in organ donation, I hope a day will come when organs for money will go and every life saved will be via voluntary organ donation.

The religious leaders have to find a common ground and support such noble deeds, until then we should respect and encourage the families who have donated organs. Have you seen a half page ad or a TV channel running a program of thanking the organ donors? Not really. All the donor's family need is this a mark of respect and token of gratitude that the society acknowledges the supreme gift that the deceased person, his/her family has made which has kept someone else alive.

#630346: Sir, I think your proposal is so impractical that even the smallest country in the world won't implement it.

• Sign In to post your comments