You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Karnataka

Appeasing everybody-alienating all

Now Congress is trying its level best to retain the power in Karnataka. It is quite natural. Every political party does this. But what policy has the party adopted to fulfill this objective? The policy is very simple: Appease all. But what is the result of this policy? Let us see.

The Congress President visited Sringeri Math in Chikmagaluru district in Karnataka yesterday. It is a very famous religious place of Karnataka. Everybody thought that Hindus will be appeased by the visit. But what happened? In the temple town, the Congress President said that Tipu Sultan, a controversial ruler of Mysore and adjacent areas, was a symbol of communal harmony. This was said to appease the Muslims. But this statement on the extremely controversial ruler in the temple town has created new controversy.

Earlier Congress declared Lingayats a separate religion to appease some members of the community. This step has created unrest among the Veershaiva community. A powerful Veerashaiva–Lingayat leader of the party from central Karnataka and Congress MLA, Shamanur Shivashankarappa along with his son, and State Minister SS Mallikarjuna have openly revolted against the decision indicating that they may even quit the party to join BJP.

When will the grand old party understand that appeasing everybody means alienating all?
    Every act of Congress these days is aiming at only one point, getting voters to their side. But I don't know how far they will be successful in this aspect by creating so many confusions and controversies in the society. Asking for a separate religion for Lingayats is a move to attract them from BJP camp to their side. But what about Veerashaivas. Why are they missing this point? Are they thinking that the additions will be more than the deletions?
    But going to a temple town and praising the Tippu Sultan is a funny issue I feel. This will make many people think twice before supporting the party.

drrao
    always confident

Appeasement policy is not being used the first time in an election by a political party in India. Congress party used to win elections on the strength of Muslim and Dalit votes only on the past when regional caste based parties like SP and BSP etc. were not formed. The leader of SP , Mulayam Singh Yadav was known as Maulana Mulayam in those days.

As far as Rahul Gandhi is concerned, politics is thrust on him. He lacks basic political intelligence. Even his coterie of advisors is below average.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Congress has become a most confusing party these days. They are unable to compete with the upsurge of BJP election after election and this time the whole BJP has determined to wrest power from Congress and PM Modi already made visits to that state. Coming to the new found liking for visiting temples, people are seeing the double standard attitude of Congress. Mother Sonia wont like Hindus and that she admitted openly in a interview to the magazine and Son Rahul is going round the temples with half heart to please the Hindus. In fact what I feel that he is ridiculing the Hindu culture by adorning the traditional dress which was not even wore properly. It seems his advisers are compelling him to done such attires and he was not comfortable. The public and voters are watching the gimmicks which is for the poll stunt and Rahul really does not have a place for Hindus in his heart. This is for sure.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The fact is that you can't befool the all the people all the time. Once a leading party but today this age old party is desperately looking for regional alliances. The problem is that this party continues to move around a family & the associated history. Beyond this they don't agree for anything.

The creating Lingayats a separate religion is a policy of divide & rule by this Congress Party as is the case with our country since long.

The availability of media with the latest updates all round is another aspect that this party has no major role to play in the future politics in India as there is nothing hiding now.

I am also wondering whether this man is completely devoid of common sense. Was it necessary to praise a communal figure while visiting a religious place? Can't he or his advisors co-relate events? Have they totally forgotten the bitter agitation about this historical figure?
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

When we focus on vote banks, then logic and common sense doesn't figure high on the mind. It's like almost being blinded by the dreams of the votes.

Time and again, many politicians walk a tight rope when it comes to religion and poltiics. The appeasment policy will never work well, even worse would be trying to appease everyone. All of us know we cannot keep everyone happy or even try to please everyone.

Traditionally the Ligayats have been a supporter of BJP, the move of the congress government is seen by many as an attempt to divert these votes. Such moves are highly controversial and a big gamble that may pay off or bring a new set of trouble that the party did not want in the first place.

Whether BJP or Congress or Regional parties without any difference play vote bank politics only. For example BJP highlights Hindutva in their activities with their allied RSS cadre is for vote bank policy. They keep aside other minority people not even to contest as candidates from their party. BJP talk inclusive policy i.e. as Hindus are in majority they talk that their lawmakers take care about them without involving other religions in their party. Through this divisive method they develop a Hindu vote bank for them. Similarly all other opposition parties including Congress they highlight minorities and backward classes to develop a vote bank for them. Simply wearing a mask over them, the parties are simply dividing the society. People like you and me simply talking all inclusive policy followed by BJP by separating some section of the people or Congress has some appeasing policy by giving importance to some section of people is a foolish thing.

I try to understand your logic, Mr. Kambhampati. But here I want to understand the logic behind the peculiar action of the Congress President. Was it necessary for him to praise a controversial figure in a very sacred place of Hindus? Will it help his party? Or will it create more problem for his party? Has the entire party leadership forgotten the violent agitation against the controversial figure less than six months ago?

It makes everyone think whether the current president of Congress is talking with any pre knowledgeable data or just for the sake of a visit to a place, google it and gather some information and talks about it everywhere. Where the subject we should talk should be totally analysed and only if one has a deep knowledge can at least deliver to the satisfaction of others or correct information.

This reminds me of his talk when he visited TN in 2014 for the electoral campaign and when he talks about Cauvery issue in all the places. Though it has an impact as a political issue even unsolved till today, one should understand within the state where the impact will be more when he goes on talk about Cauvery, not Cauvery issue. If one sees the topology of TN, there are two belts above Cauvery and below Cauvery and the current Cauvery issue will have an impact on some belts only.

So from that day onwards, I really enjoy his delivery only on the humour sense and not on the actual information and day by day only his humorous activity is on the rise and one such is the recent visit to Sringeri Mutt and nearer areas. I do not know where he is getting ideas of this sort.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Mr.Partha a small correction, Karnataka Government has pushed forward Lingayats and Veerashaiva Lingayats both as religious minority pending Central Government's approval. Interestingly, the current likely BJP candidate for the CM post, Mr.BS Yeddurappa, is a Lingayat.
    Mr. Shamanur Shivashankarappa, is the president of All India Veerashaiva Mahasabha (AIVM), his criticism is why only these two sub-castes, he wants the entire sect of followers of Basavanna (philosopher and social reformer from the 12th century) to be called as Veerashaiva-Lingayat and as a whole it should be given minority status (thereby not dividing a religion for political gains).

All India Veerashaiva Mahasabha has rejected the so-called great proposal of dividing the Hindus. The combative approach of the All India Veerashaiva Mahasabha, which has decided to fight the Siddaramaiah government on Lingayat religion issue, has come as a big respite for the BJP.

• Sign In to post your comments