You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do Indian parents treat it as a sign of modernity to be addressed as 'Mummy' and 'Daddy'?

In the rural areas of the eastern Uttar Pradesh, children used to address their mother as 'Mai' and father as 'Dada'. Gradually, these terms got upgraded to 'Amma' and 'Babu Ji'. With the migration of families from rural to urban areas, people started copying the practices prevalent in the cities and the parents started training their children to address them as 'Mummy' and 'Papa'. Such practices got evolved further and many couples preferred to be addressed as 'Mommy' and 'Daddy', etc.

What I feel is that the terms 'Mummy' , 'Papa' and 'Daddy' etc. are not of Indian origin. Perhaps these terms infiltrated the Indian society and culture from Britishers. The Indian couples in the cities adopted these terms as a sign and symptom of modernity. I don't have much information about the practices in other regions of India.

Do Indian parents treat it as a sign of modernity to be addressed as 'Mummy' and 'Daddy'?
    Yes, I agree with the author, saying, Mammy and Daddy, are treated as a sign of modernity. Though I say Mamma and Pappa. In our culture parents are generally called Ammy and Abba. My children also ask Mamma and Pappa.
    Honesty is the best policy.

This trend of daddy and mummy started in Telugu states during the 1970s and recently this trend is coming down. I always feel we should call our father and mother in our mother tongue which we know from our early life.In Telugu, we call mother as AMMA and father as NANNA. When we call them with these words there will be a special affection between the parents and the children. But some families are of the opinion that by calling parents as mummy and daddy is a symbol of modernisation which is not a correct thinking. In our house, we never allowed these words so far. In coming generations also we want to continue the same trend. It is always better to address mother in mother tongue only. Why borrow words from a foreign language? I request all to develop children with our culture and ethics.
    drrao
    always confident

We were under the rule of Britishers for quite some time and our living is very much affected by their language and manners.

Unknowingly or knowingly we are using many English words in our day to day life and they have practically become a part of our local languages everywhere in India. Naturally, the effect in urban areas is more as they are exposed to more English medium or convent education schools.

The words like 'please', 'thanks', 'mommy', 'daddy', 'lunch', 'dinner', 'breakfast', 'sir', 'madam' etc are so much mixed up in our local languages that for all practical purposes we perceive them as our own words.

The evolution of language takes place in that fashion only. Today English is one of the richest languages in the world because it has absorbed so many words from so many languages and included them in its official dictionaries.

Knowledge is power.

The term came from the British Rulers and most of the families use these words. Kids call them with what they like. Everyone has to learn their mother tongue before going to speak English. We can see that people who speak the English language tend to forget their mother tongue.
    "Earning knowledge is by sharing it with ISC and we will rectify our mistakes."

I am totally against the children calling their parents as Mummy and Daddy , instead of calling them in their mother tongue. For example in Tamil we call Amma and Appa. In Telugu , one may call Amma and Nana. When we have good words to refer mother and father in respective languages, then why one must use the English words as Mummy and Daddy. In schools too teachers must teach to the children that they must call their parents in their respective mother tongue and not as told in English. Then only the children will have continuity of using their mother tongue language often .
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Since we are discussing the use of English names for parents, I've seen well to do families where in the Grandmother will be referred to a Periya amma (Bigmother), this term is traditionally used to address anyone who would be like an elder sister to our mother. When I hear such words, I feel sad, why would a grandmother or grandfather feel that it is embarrassing to be called so.

Apart from what we attribute to the British influence, people now are feeling embarrassed to be called as mother and father in their mother tongue especially at functions, in big shopping malls or play centers. At home, they are fine but outside, they change. I don't think it is modernity, it's more of a pseudo modernity. Yes we need to teach children English, converse with them in English so that they pick up the language. But we should not ignore using basic terms in our mother tongue.

If you take a group of children and ask them to write their mother tongue language and English, most would write English better than their own mother tongue. English is important for our careers and chances of life abroad but we don't need to cast aside our own mother tongue.

Though we cannot generalise that calling mother and father as 'mummy' and 'daddy' respectively, as a sign of modernity in this part of the country. However, in certain middle class families they consider this as a modernity. They send their children to English medium schools and naturally the children start copying these from their class mates.
    However, among the common people they still follow the traditional addressing pattern. In general here the usage is 'Amma' and 'Achan' . However, there are differences in.the usage among different religious groups. Among Muslims it is 'umma' and 'vappa'. Among Christians the same become ' Ammachi' and 'appachan'.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

I have never addressed my parents as ''Daddy'' or ''Mummy''. My brother and sister haven't done so. I also never allowed my daughter to call be ''Dad'' or ''Daddy''. She calls me ''Baba'' in a pure Bengali way. My brother's son and sister's daughter also address their parents in the Bengali fashion. So, all of us are fully satisfied.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

It's not modernity but the same is the result of exchanging culture with other immigrants. If we come in contact with other culture or the immigrants then during this process we dismiss few things but at the same time we adopt to a certain changes. The outcome would be in the form of terms or references as the author has rightly mentioned here. During our childhood days we learn something from our parents & as we became grown-ups & visit other places then we also feed to our knowledge. These basically depends upon the likeness or the benefits that we derive from those.

Look at the things around you & you will notice that in the show case you have kept the things belonging to other religion's practices like the idols or the scripts that you got something belonging to other locations of the world.

We have been to many changes & in the coming times this will continue till the tile other keep coming to us or we make visit to them.

The following is a compilation of the terms used for calling mother in different Indian languages -

1. Assamese - Aayi, Ma, Matri

2. Bengali - Ma, Amma, Mata, Matri

3. Gujarati - Ma, Baa

4. Hindi - Ma, Maji

5. Kannada - Amma, Avva, Taayi, Maate, Janani

6. Marathi - Aayi

7. Malayalam - Amma

8. Punjabi — Mai, Mataji, Pabbo

9. Tamil — Amma

10. Telugu — Amma

11. Urdu — Ammee

The above list is open to correction by knowledgeable IScians.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• Sign In to post your comments