You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is anyone still using ink pens?

During my studies in the 1970s and 1980s, we were using ink pens. We used to purchase ink bottles and fill up as and when required. We used to have two pens, one for blue ink and the other for red ink. We were not allowed to write examinations with refill pens. Sometimes the nib of the pen used to give problems or may break and we used to get it changed then. Slowly those pens became outdated and ballpoint pens became very common. We used to change the refill as and when required. But these days use and throw pens are being widely used. No one is using ink pens. Many of the kids may not even be knowing about this. Now my question is, is there someone among us who is still carrying an ink pen in their pocket and using it?
    Most probably I am the only one who still uses 'ink pen' (fountain pen). I have 10-12 fountain pens and I regularly use these pens. You may call it a 'fad', but I find pleasure in using these pens. On every Sunday, I replenish the ink in these pens with a disposable syringe. It is a time-consuming job, but gives much pleasure to me.

I feel that earlier (during seventies and eighties) the replenishment of ink was much easy, but now it has been very complicated.

Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

Ink pens are fond memories of a bygone era of education and office correspondence. The green ink pens used by the attestation officers always impressed me while running around for document attestation for various applications.
    I don't use or carry an ink pen but remember uniform shirts having the ink marks at the pocket etc. It was fun to fill the ink with the ink filler or the Hero and Pilot pens with a self fitted suction lever wherein we just had to dip the pen upside down. Them it would suck the ink in. For exams, we used to carry small pieces of blot ink papers as the newly filled ink pens would smudge initially with too much of the ink.

I am also a person who still use ink pen. Since I am a head of institution many times I have to sign the photograph of the students. I always use fountain pen to attest the photograph of student. Ball pen is not a good one for this purpse though I can use gel pen but I use fountain pen for the same.
    Honesty is the best policy.

'Kayastha' is a caste in Uttar Pradesh and other parts of Northern India. They worship pen. It is celebrated a day after Diwali. The festival is also known as 'Dawat (Inkpot) Puja'. I belong to 'Srivastava' sub-caste of caste 'Kayastha'.

Pens have special significance in Kayastha families. Whenever, I go to USA or UK, I make it a point to buy dozens of pens for distribution to children back home. I have a good collection of pens including the fountain pens also. However, such pens are now seldom use as the modern types of ballpens and jetpens have become very convenient to use.

Earlier we used to have a brass ink pot for puja purpose which used to be cleaned to its shining form and filled with freshly prepared ink by dissolving ink tablet in water or simply filled simply with liquid ink available in the market. Earlier dip pens made of reed or bamboo were used prior to invention of fountain pens with various types of nibs e.g. G-nibs.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Fountain - pens had their own importance in the years between 1970 and 1980 and a lot brands like Piolet, Plato, Shephard etc were available and to have such brands in possession were indicative of glorious achievements. Inks of varied colours such as Royal- blue, Dark - blue, Green, Black etc were available to satisfy the customer's needs.
    In most of the schools in those days, ink - pens were the only the tools to be used for the writing purpose though Ball - pens of different brands came up in those periods but we were discouraged to use those pens on the ground that such usage would spoil our hand - writings and due to such beliefs the circulation of the Ball - pens remained more or less static. However, the trend reversed with the approach of 1990 when we could witness the drastic decline of the usage of ink - pens and the Ball - pens and Gell pens became the front - runners.
    However, I am still infatuated with the ink - pens and I keep a few sets of such pens to satisfy my psychological - needs.

As per the law the ink pens must be used by those who are gazetted ranks and officers who need to sign on official documents and that too they have to sign with green ink pen.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: There is no law regarding use of fountain pens by the Gazetted Officers. All my colleagues use normal ball-point pens or gel pens. I always use fountain pens not only for official purposes but also for other purposes.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

During school days, we were told to use fountain pens but now the time has changed. There is also a problem of leakage in fountain pens. So now always preferred to have ball pens.

If you still want better performance then you can opt for gel pen too.

Where are you Mr. Mohan? What is the law and where it is laid down that Gazetted officers should use fountain pens only. Don't make your own law. It is only the colour that matters, not the pen.

I too love fountain pens and have many varieties of pens lying in my drawer. I use it at times. However, I prefer to use the latest Gel pens than the old ball point pens. The Gel pen is as good as fountain pen. It doesn't smudge. It dries fast. It is the best pen to use, I must say.

No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments