You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Being FM of our Country, Arun Jaitely should have got elected from LS not nominated through RS.

We all know after the post of PM, it is the Finance Ministry which is regarded and respected by the people. Because through every budget, the FM has the necessity to tow the line of the government policies and programs and giving weight to the PM's promises. But what I feel that being in that important position Arun Jailtely should have got elected from the Lok Sabha seat from any vacant position and not from RS. Yesterday he got selected from RS representing UP state. LS election considered most powerful for a Finance Minister to prove his working style.
    1. ''Because through every budget, the FM has the necessity to tow the line of the government policies and programs and giving weight to the PM's promises. ''-I have not clearly understood what the author wants to convey.

2. We have already seen a Prime Minister being elected indirectly (Dr. Manmohan Singh has been an MP of Rajya Sabha for many years). The same thing happened in respect of Finance Minister (Pranab Mukherjee was an MP of Rajya Sabha for a quite long period; he became MP from Lok Sabha only once).

3. Then why there would be an exception for Mr. Arun Jaitley?

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

It is not that important that the FM is to be from Lok sabha.There are many instances in India where the people in important positions are not even a member of any of the two Sabhas. PVNR was not a MP when he became PM. But later on he contested for Lok Sabha from Nandyala constituency of AP. TDP as a respect to Telugu PM decided not to contest and PVNR won the elections with the highest majority.
    Here the important point is that the minister should become MP within 6 months from the date of becoming the minister. So whatever earliest vacancy comes in that the minister will contest.
    Whether he is from Rajya Sabha or Lok Sabha, how much suitable he is for the post is more important than all other things.

drrao
    always confident

Finance Minister of India is a very important position. Many Finance Ministers later rose to the position of the Prime Minister or President of India . See the list of following Finance Ministers -

1. Morarji Desai (13 March 1958 -to 29 August 1963 and 13 March 1967 to 16 July 1969 )
    2. Charan Singh (24 January 1979 to 28 July 1979)
    3. R. Venkataraman (14 January 1980 to 15 January 1982)
    4. Pranab Mukherjee (15 January 1982 to 31 December 1984 and 24 January 2009 to 26 June 2012)
    5. V. P. Singh (31 December 1984 to 24 January 1987)
    6. Manmohan Singh (21 June 1991 to 16 May 1996 , 30 November 2008 to 24 January 2009 and 26 June 2012 to 31 July 2012)

In addition to above, Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi and I.K. Gujral also served as the Finance Ministers of India while holding office of the Prime Minister of India.

As explained by fellow authors above, there had never been an requirement of being a member of Lok Sabha only for a Finance minister as there is no such provision under the constitution of India.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

@Mohan, I can understand your feeling. The present Finance Minister tried his best to enter the LokSabha through direct election in 2014. In spite of that huge wave of success for BJP, he was defeated. Your wish may not come true in the case of Arun Jaitley. I do not know whether Mr.Manmohan Singh would have got elected in an election or not but the present Finance Minister was defeated for certain.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

According to the constitution of India, a minister should ba member of eighter Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha. So, I do not find anything wrong if the Finance Minister is elected as the member of Rajya Sabha.
    Honesty is the best policy.

In many cases, Finance Ministers are considered people 'with great wisdom' and not very popular (in electoral sense). To get the help of such people with great wisdom in the Parliamentary democracy, Rajya Sabha (the Upper House) has been created.

A response of a particular Member is laughable and shows his totally biased mindset.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Facts look laughable for those who do not believe in them. Mr. Arun Jaitley is a capable person but he did not find favor with the public in 2014 elections. He was appointed Finance Minister for the first time after the elections and made a member of the Upper House later.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

KVRR what you said is right. Being FM he must search for a safe seat and get elected through peoples mandate and that would be befitting for a Minister to the post of Finance.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

People who are elected to Rajya Sabha serve a good purpose of discussing the issues in different angles to bring a good out of it for the country. But an important post in the Central Cabinet like Finance Minister it is good to be won with people's mandate. Simply giving the important post immediately after loosing the elections appears to be awkward. By law it may be correct but it give a wrong signal to the people that BJP party is not caring or giving importance for people's verdict.

• Sign In to post your comments