You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Did you miss the Earth hour 2018?

On Saturday, March 24th, 8:30-9:30 pm, was world Earth hour. This initiative was started by world wildlife fund in 2007 to increase the awareness about nature.

Sadly, I missed it, in Bangalore, traveling in the busy Saturday traffic, I did not see a change in the buildings, malls, and apartments around. Newspapers have reported that even the iconic Vidhana Soudha, a symbol house of the Government was also lighted. But some restaurants and offices did observe earth hour.

Did you follow or miss Earthhour to save electricity? I think in summer, every city will need a daily or weekly water hour to make everyone aware of the importance of water and they can voluntarily start saving water by reducing its wastage.
    No, I didn't miss it thanks to my daughter. I switched off the electricity (but only for 5 minutes).
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

As per media reports the lights were dimmed at Rashtrapati Bhawan, North and South Block of the Central Secretariat and War Memorial at India Gate in Delhi for an entire hour from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm to observe the Earth Hour.

In Mumbai also lights were dimmed at the Gateway of India.

People from more than 7000 cities across the globe were expected to participate in this voluntary program.

In India the honest people pay their electricity bill at higher rates to compensate for the theft of electricity by few or many unscrupulous persons who steal electricity as a routine. I think some awareness champaign in this direction should also be launched.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I was outside my house watching an entertainment in an open space. But when I came back, I noticed that the lights were switched off and my son and his daughter were sitting in the dark. They had switched off the lights participating in the Earth hour. And we continued to sit in the dark till the end of declared time 9.30 pm.
    But I noticed that this was not followed by any other people in my neighbourhood. It showed that this concept put forth by WWF has not gone to the public in general. Action need to be taken to popularise such green ideas.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

I missed it. I switch off the lights on every earth hour every year. But this year I could not. But will make up it by saving electricity throughout the year. Though I save electricity every now and then but I will take more care towards because I missed this year earth hour.

Earth hour is a need of the hour and will help mankind by saving electricity and resources which are limited in nature. Be a part of this earth hour and contribute to the novel cause.

Dr. Paresh B. Gujarati.
    Mechanical Engineer.
    'I'mprovement always begins with 'I'.

In fact there was a official power cut at that time and we were not aware of earth hour cut. However we did observe the earth hour by default. Yes even for saving five minutes of electricity it matters much.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

On that day, I was in my native place. The place is a village and there was a repair going on for the power line on that. They could complete the repair only late night by 10 PM only. The whole village is in dark. Knowingly or unknowingly the entire village observed the earth hour in that village. After that, my father has seen this matter about earth hour on TV and he told me about this. Till then I have no idea of this concept.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments