You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Chipko movement - the path finder for environmental protection movement in India

When the Google flashed the animated doodle of the Chipko movement as a mark of its celebration of 45 years, my memory went back to the days of my college books and General awareness tests which primarily focused on the movement which took place in 1973 in the then united UP (now in Uttarakhand). The deforestation and issues of tribal and marginalized people influenced the Chipko aandolan . The people followed the principles of Satyagraha and non-violence where activists from the state under the leadership of Gaura Devi, Suraksha Devi,Sudesha Devi, Bachni Devi and Chandi Prasad Bhatt actively participated. It was a total reflection of their anguish for depriving them of their basic amnesties such as firewood, fodder,s water for drinking and irrigation. The slow and steady race of the movement had its impact on the Government of India and led to chalk out practical programmes of water management, energy conservation, afforestation, and recycling. The case studies on environmental degradation and methods of conservation in the Himalayas and throughout India have taken a prime role in research.

Thanks to the great patriots and the unsung heroes of the soil for their great work and moment of pride to remember such people who tried their best to save our environment.
    Any account about 'Chipko Movement' will remain incomplete without mention of Sundarlal Bahuguna. He was awarded Padma Sri in the year 1981 but he refused. Later in the year 2009 he was awarded Padma Vibhushan for his contribution to environmental conservation.

Sundarlal Bahuguna is credited with the creation of Chipko slogan - 'Ecology is permanent economy '

In Hindi 'Chipko' literally means to 'stick' and people started sticking to trees when it was being cut.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Chipko movement under the local leadership of Gauri Devi, Bachni Devi, Chandi Prasad Bhatt and pan-Indian leadership of Sundarlal Bahuguna has played a very significant role in protecting the dwindling forest cover in India. I express my regards to these great men and women who have been in the forefront of this movement on the occasion of the movement's 45th anniversary.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

Only yesterday I came across many posts in social media in which women were literally sticking and were in unison to protect the forest trees from being cut illegally during Chipco Movement. The great movement which was ably supported by Sundarlal Bahuguna had the cascading effect and participation in large numbers by advasis in forest and hilly areas of Telangana and AP. Such was the awareness created that even small children were bunking the classes and protecting the trees from illegal felling. So sticking to trees was the great protesting way from the public which came voluntarily.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The Chipko Movement / Chipko Andolan refers to a forest conservation movement where people clung onto trees to prevent them from being cut. This was in order to draw attention to and prevent deforestation, which had begun to occur on a mass scale to make way for dams or industry or roads. The movement began in 1973 in Uttar Pradesh, and was an initiative by a renowned environmentalist Mr. Sunderlal Bahuguna.

Against the harmful deforestation policies, a movement called Chipko was born. the protester's main technique is throwing their arms around the tree trunks and refusing to move. Women's participation in the movement can be traced to a remote hill town where a contractor. In 1973 a contractor had been given permission by the state government to cut a number of trees for constructing a goods store. All the village males went out for their routine works and only ladies were there the woodcutters started cutting the trees. Immediately the village's female leader, a widow in her 50s, collected twenty-seven women and rushed into the forest. The women pleaded with the woodcutter to stop cutting the trees.The woodcutters threatened them with guns. The women threatened to hug the earmarked trees and die with them The labourers left the place and, the contractor stopped the activity.
    drrao
    always confident

Chipko movement of Uttarakhand is a great milestone in the fight for conserving our forests and illustrating the power of common masses for such causes.

I just completed my post graduation from Kumaon University, Nainital when there was this movement being in accelerated form and it was in news all over the country. So we were also in touch with its progress and very much impressed by those personalities who were leading this movement.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments