You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Making Others Accessible To Your Personal Data!

Do you read the terms and conditions when you register in a website? Or do you blindly tick the agree box? Share your thoughts and get to know the personal experience of the author.

Have you gone through the terms & conditions while downloading any software into your PC or Laptops?

I bet that each one of us signed this unconditionally. So, in this case we can figure this out that we are not aware of the "Terms & Conditions" that we just agreed to. That you have granted the site or the company a non-exclusive & non-transferable right to your Personal Data which could be anything in context to your banking details or others saved in your PC's hard disk. In today's world this wouldn't be the big surprise that your PC is being monitored each time that you switch on to the internet.

I give you my personal experience. The time I purchased a Dell Laptop with "Windows 8", the same time I also had an offer from the Microsoft for update to "Windows 10" in no addtional cost. I opted to that & agreed to the terms & conditions also but it was a suprising that all the updation was on the backend but still I could do my job & finally the latest version was installed of "Windows 10".

After the installation got completed, I was still wondering about how the Microsoft came to know the Password that was saved in the hard disk of my laptop as the system got restarted many times before finally got settled.

This is the case of each time we allow any software to install in our PCs. Even the antivirus we installed in the PCs also doing some backend job that we are not aware of which might intrude to our privacy & the data may also get stolen.
    We do this many times. every time we have to agree their terms and conditions which I never read. If we say no we can't download the software required. So what is the solution for this? We have to give access to them if we want to download and without downloading that particular item we may not be able to complete our work.Is it possible if we have a password for each document in our system and if we have to open we have to type that word? No Idea for me.
    drrao
    always confident

That is true . Even mobile apps get to peep into our data shared on our mobile phones .Some apps we find so useful such as Paytm, Facebook, Truecaller etc . Before getting installed they seek permission and we knowingly or unknowingly click on accept tab as there is no other option if we want to install these apps. If you don't accept the terms while downloading from google play store you won't be able to download .However some apps may use personal data to make their apps user friendly and some apps collect data from the electronic system (mobile or computer ) and share with their partners .advertisers etc.It means generally they have access to the data stored in our system but they may or may not use very sensitive technical details such as our bank details etc .

Yes when we agree to be a member of a website, social media or want to download, our personal data are sought and we are invariably agree to share. Even while sharing images the contributions goes public and we can imagine the data also goes public. And for the past few days, when I log out and again log in, the name and pass word comes automatically as if it is printed in the slot. So what is the secret we are maintaining on our account and password. Therefore it is a waste of time shouting on the social media of about possible breach of our personal details when we literally agreed for the same at the time of signing. One thing is sure, in future the voting would be on line and all the political parties has the compulsion to have the data of their voters strong base so that they have the facility of getting their vote share.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Yes, I agree with the author that we make other accessible our privacy while installing the new programme on the desktop or mobile phone. In the mobile phone, they show clear message what type of data they track from our mobile and we have to provide permission for the same. But it is advisable to read terms and condition before going ahead for privacy issues.
    Honesty is the best policy.

A major segment of the users of mobile Apps don't know anything about the computerised systems and somehow they learn to operate the same by hook or crook by copying others or otherwise. Consider the educational backgrounds of all vehicle drivers who use GPS systems. Recently, a case came to light when the staff of a mobile company started opening consumer's payment bank account also without even asking them, when they came for linking their Aadhar number with their mobile number.

Thus many of us are not aware at all of the consequences associated with agreeing to the 'terms and conditions' of downloading or using most of the Apps. The concerned companies are aware of the situation and milking the scenario indiscriminatorily to their advantage.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

It's like reading the fine print of the warranty card or the instruction booklet of a gadget, we would love to but we don't have the time or the patience. We just blindly tick it. When we buy mutual funds or an insurance policy, there are pages of fine print but we hardly even scan them, forget reading it.

Same with the apps and software we install or a site we visit, we just click the yes and go on. With the recent controversy about Cambridge analytica, personal data of millions were gathered under the guise of complete a survey. There are many things that happen behind the scene and our preferences, choices, information all would be secretly monitored and gathered. For instance, there are so many image editing apps and games, most of them ask permission to share location? why do we need it? it just a blanket cover to use our personal data as they feel appropriate. At the end of the day, we just hope that our data remains safe.

• Sign In to post your comments