You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you read constitution of India fully?

Almost all of us know about the Constitution of India. We often quote or cite the same during our discussions in this forum. Certain articles of Constitution of India are more frequently cited compared to others e.g. article 370 which is regarding special autonomous status of Jammu and Kashmir state of India or article 356 regarding Presidents Rule in states etc.

It is not mandatory for all citizens of India to read the Constitution of India thoroughly, but as an educated person we are supposed to read the same.

Have you read the Constitution of India fully?
    No, I have not read the Constitution fully. I had to study in-depth some of the important portions like the Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Fundamental Duties, Directive Principles, Scheduled Languages and some specific Articles relating to Special Status of J&K, President's Rule, Panchayati Raj Institutions and Municipal Corporations. I also had to study the three lists, viz., Union List, State List and Concurrent List.

Indian Constitution is too complex to be studied (not to be read) in entirety by an ordinary man like me.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

What I feel that the Constitution of India is made for the law makers and law enforcing agencies to study and follow and not for the ordinary citizens like you and me. It is the rule book created for the government to follow certain norms and many amendments are made to the original constitution draft and hence remembering and going through the entire constitution is not possible even for the judiciary. And what I feel that a repeal should be made a simpler and yet understanding constitution be written keeping in view the vast changes the country has acquired and progress from the past in so many years.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: ''What I feel that the Constitution of India is made for the law makers and law enforcing agencies to study and follow and not for the ordinary citizens like you and me.''-Do you know what are you saying? Aren't the provisions of the Constitution not for common people?

Please remember that the Preamble starts with: "We, the people of India, having solemnly resolved,..."And you are saying that the Constitution is not for the people!

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Not fully, I've read in small parts. Knowing about the constitution is useful and important but we need to have it as a summary for the common man to know about it briefly. Of course, based on one's appetite for knowledge or profession or interests, he/she can read further.
    We should have a process similar to BhagavathGita or Ramayana, we started with the shortened format in school and by high school/college, we get an interest and access to the detailed versions.This, I feel will stimulate the interest and the task of reading the Constitution of India would not sound as daunting as it sounds now.

It's a complex thing.

The "Constitution Of India", is a big thing with numerous articles to be used in different occasions & therefore this seems to be unlikely that anyone is fully aware of this.

The author has mentioned the Article 370 which gives autonomous status to the state of Jammu and Kashmir. This is not fully correct as I have witnessed this during the course of discussions in the various news channels. To say the least then Article 370 of the Constitution of India contains "temporary provisions" with respect to the State of Jammu and Kashmir. Means it was created on the given circumstances on that period & can finally be settled for ever with signature of the president of India. And because of this no additional parliament session is required in order to pass the law & make any amendment.

I have not read fully. Some portions quoted elsewhere were read by me. During my school days, I read about fundamental rights, directive principles etc. It is good to read the constitutions and know all the provisions there. But many of us might not have read that. I have never seen any summary type article also on this constitution of India.
    As we are not completely aware of the various articles and details we may be taking the help of concerned in case of any requirement. But some people like lawyers, judges and law enforcement agencies should have complete knowledge of this constitution. Otherwise, they may not be able to perform their duties properly.
    It is always advisable to know fully about the constitution and know our responsibilities and rights as citizens of this great country. Otherwise, we have to hear from others.

drrao
    always confident

No, I have not read the constitution of India. I think practically it is not possible for a common man to read the constitution of India fully. Though I have read some basic articles in Newspaper or some other textbook. In my opinion, very few members of ISC have read the full constitution of India.
    Honesty is the best policy.

• Sign In to post your comments