You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

ISC must move forward to discuss issues that are happening.

Why this thread was deleted stating poor quality "Karnataka Polls on 12th May Sat and results on 15th May Tue, both are inauspicious ? " In fact immediately after raising the thread a member responded to it. There is not violation of rule of posting guidelines here. We are not dealing with religion or the politicians by name. We are referring to the general trend of people of Karnataka in particular and South Indians in general who wont follow some days which are inauspicious. I want proper reply.
    I didn't agree to the views of Mr. Mohan in the deleted thread. But I strongly object the abrupt deletion of the thread of Mr. Mohan.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

I have not seen the thread but it appears that labelling election dates announced by the Election Commission which is a constitutional body, as inaucpicious was not considered appropriate by the editors and hence deleted.

Discussing superstition in general in forum section is different than labelleing the election dates declared in accordance with law as inauspicious and making the same a topic for discussion. Such a discussion is likely to create confusion and adversly affect the turnout of the voters.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Who is criticising election dates announced by EC, the fear among the parties to face the electorate on inauspicious day was the question.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I have also not seen the post. The reason may be the post is of religious in nature. The inauspicious dates may be for a particular religion but not all. This may become a controversial point in the discussions and that may not be good as per the Editor's view. That may be the reason for deletion. Anyhow the Editor's decision is final.
    drrao
    always confident

I haven't read the thread. But I like the editor's action to delete the thread. All the 365/366 days are good days. All the days from Sunday to Saturday are also good. Auspicious or inauspicious is related to an individual or family, or may be a group, but not to a state or a part of India which has mixed religion. I think it would be a wasteful and useless exercise to discuss. I appreciate the editor who deleted the thread of Mohan.

Mr. Mohan, Kindly explain - In which way the dates are inauspicious? To me, Saturday and Tuesdays are the best days among the week days.

If allowed, you may go to the extent of selecting a best star out of the 27 stars to have the election.

The candidate might choose an auspicious date to file his nomination. The voters can vote on the scheduled day during the good hours omitting the 'Raghu Kaalam or YemaKandam'

No life without Sun

However, the purpose is served and discussion is going on with auspicious/inauspicious dates. Those who are looking at these kinds of superstition, I do not know how they coined that Tuesday is inauspicious because in Tamil it says Sevvai amounting to Selvam varum vai meaning path to enter wealth and in that way I feel for vote counting it is very much auspicious, because politician is in politics nowadays only to make wealth.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

The question is not auspicious/inauspicious day(s). The question is abrupt deletion of the thread. I also don't believe in such belief, I mentioned it also in the deleted thread. But why deletion of a thread?

Today it is happening with Mr. Mohan; It is regularly happening with Partha K. Tomorrow it may happen with others also. If an Editor does not like the views expressed by a Member, will he/she delete the particular thread?

Yes #631718 Partha but author itself turned towards discussion in response #631666 and that is why I discussed on the original content and of course, the question has to be answered by ISC admn/editors only.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

My previous comment is for all Members, not for a particular Member. We must oppose abrupt deletion of threads.

And when a thread attracts first response, it must go on.
    K Mohan

I visited the deleted section, the link existed but no content in it.v By reading this thread, it looks like we are linking the electoral exercise in a State and the apparently inauspicious dates?

This could draw criticism that we (members involved) and the site(ISC) is indirectly supporting or casting apprehensions on the decision of the Election commission.Someone could point a finger that we are putting thoughts into the mind of the electorate by raising the issue of inauspicious days.
    While we are not breaking any rules, this could potentially affect ISC in an adverse manner. As an educational site, ISC would have allowed discussion on superstition and State elections separately but not linking both.

Mohan sir @#631739 - getting a response on a questionable thread is not a means of justifying its existence. Take for instance, the first reply of this thread, the member is not in agreement with you but strongly objects the deletion of threads (this in itself a separate topic).

K Mohan,

I checked out the deleted thread. It seems improper to start a discussion on the co-relation of election dates with the belief in days considered as auspicious or not. After all, the dates are scheduled by a Govt. authority, namely the Election Commission of India. Beliefs are, well, just beliefs.

In this thread, you mentioned "general trend of people of Karnataka in particular and South Indians in general who wont follow some days which are inauspicious." - this could have been a general topic of discussion, without bringing in the election dates.

Further, just because one response came in, that does not mean the thread should not be deleted. In the case where there are a number of valid responses, then we can reduce the points instead of deleting it and lock the thread.

Please try to understand that, contrary to the nonsensical statement made by Partha, no editor deletes a thread merely because he/ she does not like the views expressed by the member. Really, now! That is the most laughable & absurd theory floating in his mind.

We would appreciate it if there was not this constant questioning of forum editors' actions. It's like as though forum editors are gleefully enjoying removing forum threads! Don't you think we editors also would love to have an active, vibrant forum with varied discussions?

The bottom line: Not every little thing needs to be put in black and white in the forum posting guidelines. Members, please do be reasonable and try to use a little common sense in raising topics.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

When other social sites and even media channel are discussing the same topic, what prevents us to do the same and why such threads are deleted.
    K Mohan

K Mohan,

(1) We are neither social media sites nor media channels.
    (2) Should we ape what others do?
    (3) You are implying that the exact same topic which you raised was discussed elsewhere. In that case, it was not a unique topic which you came up with and would be considered copied, isn't it?

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

I think ME has tried to give a good explanation and I like to thank her for the explanation.
    At the same time, I request her to look into the irregularities that are taking place here. Sometimes some threads are locked as duplicate threads. But sometimes the same thread posted two times also will not be deleted. Even after a member reminding about it also the two threads will continue.
    Sometimes a thread will be deleted saying that already similar thread is going on but sometimes 2 or 3 threads on the same topic will be active in the forum section.
    These things will give a feeling to the authors that all are not being treated equally.
    Sometimes the same topic within a month will attract CC also from the Editors.
    All these may be going on unintentionally but the author who suffered will get pained. Some may raise threads highlighting the happenings but some may keep quiet. But the people in the deciding position should exercise their rights and powers very judiciously.
    These are my observations. This is not against anybody in particular. I think the Editors will understand the points positively.
    If they feel I am wrong in posting this I pray for their excuse.

drrao
    always confident

Ideas cannot be copied items. What has been discussed widely I brought to the notice of ISC and sorry we failed to discuss.
    K Mohan

Since ISC forum editors are not 24x7 available online and may miss out some things, I would like to make a humble request here: Members should contact the Lead Editors Saji Ganesh or Jagdish Patro if they see duplicate threads or threads which they feel have similar content. The Lead Editors will do the needful of deleting duplicate threads or discussing with the team similarity of content of threads on the same topic, as the case may be. A polite request message to look into the matter (not an aggressive demand please) is better than simply posting a response in a thread stating that it is duplicate or similar, as it is quite possible that the alert goes unnoticed, buried as it is in the thread's many responses.

The regular forum participants are our "third eye" & we appreciate their contribution towards keeping the forum clean of duplication of content.

• Sign In to post your comments