You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Memory of my school bell.

Some of the childhood memories remain in our mind for a long time and like a sweet and pleasant feeling they reside there.

The memory pertains to 53 years back when I was studying in a school in class VII. It was a hilly place in the state of Uttarakhand and my school was very near about 10 minutes walk from my house and was in clear sight due to the up and down terrain of hilly places. At 9:30 AM the first bell used to ring bringing a clean and loud sound to my ears and it rang for about half a minutes in its usual pitch bringing a sense of alertness and getting me prepared to move out of my house in the next couple of minutes so as to reach in time to assemble for prayers which used to begin at the second ringing of bell at 10:00 AM.

I did not know how the time flowed ahead and I passed my class VII and then class VIII and then there was the change. I had to shift to another school by taking admission in class IX and this new school was not only at a good distance of 2 km from my house but it was not in sight also. The school bell rang there but I did not hear it. It was too far. I was missing something important. I had a wristwatch to see time but still, I was missing the bell. Why was so? I was a bit perplexed by this feeling. It was not sad but it was as if I required it to move ahead.

Slowly I got over this yearning and marched ahead in life from one place to another, from one assignment to another and things like that. Today I just remember the ringing of that bell which was so important and intimate to me at that time.
    By seeing this posting I remember my High school bell. In our school at Madurai, there was a big round bronze bell was there which stroked by a wooden hammer by our school peon. Especially when I was in sixth standard, the bell was kept hanged just straight to our class room and we can see the bell even by sitting in our seats. As we did not have any watch with us the movement of the peon was the clock to us and by seeing his head in that area we used to get alert.
    The second thing with that bell was the same year there was a Hindi-Agitation in our state and some external miscreants were entered into the school and did some damages and there was a chaos in the school. Teachers were given instructions to keep all the students inside the class rooms and HM called the police for rescue. On our vision some external person jumped inside and took the bell and attacked the policemen. By seeing this our heart beaten fast.

A beautiful thread from the author. Yes, the memory of my school bell (the beautiful sound of gong) is permanently etched in my mind. When I am alone and think about my school days, I can still hear our chowkidar Ramswaroop-ji sounding the gong at the beginning, after each period, announcing lunch and at the end of the school-hours, on every working day.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.