You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Once a sniper, always a sniper-Part-II

(Contd. from Once a sniper, always a sniper-Part-I)

The pension, disability insurance and other benefits received from the Army have been more than sufficient for him to live life comfortably in his picturesque native village in Meghalaya. He has never married. His parents left the world long back. Like every other commando, he is a reserved and unsocial (not anti-social). He interacts with other people in his village, takes part in community festivals, dancing and drinking, but keep such interactions as minimum as possible. The villagers think that his habit changed to some extent due to his long absence from the village, but they are not overly intrusive.

But the sniper in him is still very much alive. In the RR, his ''call-sign'' was 'Hunter'. He likes hunting. But, now he doesn't have his trusted Dragonov with him. So, one day after retirement, he decided to make his own sniper rifle. He got all related literature from the internet, drew a preliminary model and started working in right earnest.

The workaholic Khasi became paranoid to make his own sniper rifle. He spent a lot of his retirement benefits, visited the Indo-Myanmar border, contacted some smugglers, collected equipment, special scope and even special sniper rifle cartridges as per his specification. And with lots of effort and dedication, he built the rifle, and more importantly, adjusted and synchronized the scope with the rifle. After three years of hard labour, the sniper rifle is now finally complete.

Last night, he was elated. In his own residence, he almost jumped in joy like a small child. He has done the impossible. Now the rifle is required to be tested in actual conditions. He has decided to have a field trial of his own sniper rifle in the dense forest near Dawki border in front of picturesque Umngot river. He plans for some hunting in the quiet Indo-Bangladesh border forest with his newly-made sniper rifle.

He quickly finishes his lunch and starts for the forest at Dawki border. He plans to reach there by afternoon.

(....To be continued Part-III)
    Is it legal for somebody to make his own gun? I asked this question only out of my curiosity. Because someone wants to have a gun for himself he should have a licence. For making any ammunition, your require a licence. That is why I got a doubt whether anyone can make a rifle on his own for self-use and test it wherever he wants? I request the author to react to this post as he is having better knowledge of the subject.
    drrao
    always confident

It is only a story of the gallantry of a handicapped ex-serviceman. The question of legality does not arise here.

But, it must be clearly understood that it is not at all legal to manufacture guns or having cartridges.

Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

Some people based on their experience start building their own devices. There was a commercial pilot who built his own small aeroplane. Nice narration, sounds like a commando/Rambo movie. Well done.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.