You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Try to avoid this phrase - "It's not my fault"

Is the phrase It's not my fault Ok to use frequently at the workplace? Should you fight tooth & nail and simply disown responsibility with this phrase or explain the facts when a mistake is done & suggest remedial action? What would you do?

In any organisation, there would be a certain work culture and we should get adapted to it. We need not own responsibility for every mistake that occurs but should not try to find an escape route by simply saying, "It's not my fault". Rather, a polite way of convincing others with facts would not affect the harmony in the team. It is such a phrase which would affect the team spirit and make you isolated in the team.

Most successful team players are those who take the lead in convincing the reasons for a mistake and how to take remedial action to correct it. One should avoid using such phrases while working in a team and try to create a congenial atmosphere otherwise it would become contagious! Isn't it?
    It depends primarily on the careful selection of team mates. Once a cohesive team is formed with members having mutual understanding and respect for each other's capabilities, blame game generally doesn't arises.

Generally, good people don't make mistakes intentionally and therefore they don't hesitate in owning it also instead of blaming others.

It is only the average people who resort to tactics like saying that 'it is not my fault' etc.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I have seen in my services many people who will say I have done it when a work is successful. If something wrong happened they throw the blame on somebody.They I was not involved or I am not properly briefed. But in some organisations such people will flourish with the best wishes of top bosses because they are also of similar nature.
    But a person who is aware of the work fully will monitor the work properly and see that no mistake will take place. If some mistake happens,they never hesitate to accept their fault.

drrao
    always confident

It depends purely on the selection of the team members. There are people in the team who just find shortcuts to reach the targets. Such people will find it difficult to move ahead in their career. We must give a try before we feel defeated. Successful people take strong decisions at their peak point of the career which makes them the most genius person.
    "Earning knowledge is by sharing it with ISC and we will rectify our mistakes."

Yes, I agree with the author that we should avoid such type of phrases for the success of team project. If you are a team leader you accept your fault and should present an example to your junior. never forget that to err is human. We should accept our fault and try to get alternate for the same.
    Honesty is the best policy.

This is the beauty of ISC. Whenever we have some feeling experienced in our personal lives, that day surely there will be one such thread by some members and this is one of this. As Dr.Rao said, if something happened good, the credit will be taken by them and if a sudden deviation occurs, they simply throw the blame on next to them. It is not only applicable in official life even in personal life. In fact, I have written an article very long back about the relationship particularly on a day to day activities between DIL and MIL in a scientific way on how it can be represented as a flowchart (which will be written mostly before a program/coding is written for any computer program).
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Most people take credit for good work (even if they have not done it) but when an error or a target falls short, they start inventing reasons to divert the attention and a few minutes into the discussion they utter ' it's not my fault'. Children often get defensive when it comes to correction their mistakes and use this phrase regularly or even lie and put the blame on a sibling or a friend. But as adults, we should rise above this. In a team or an office, we need a degree of maturity not to spoil the team spirit but also not to ignore the failure or the incomplete task.
    At such situations, one or two senior members in the team should take charge and make the atmosphere comfortable for the people concerned to speak up, then discuss the reasons and the methods to overcome this failure next time.

• Sign In to post your comments