You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you get time to Visit the Old Age Homes?

As the Old Age Homes are increasing in numbers day by day and most of the young people are putting their parents in Old Age Homes. When parents really cared and hard worked for their children, they are getting back the reward in a negative way. In today's Younger generations, most of them do not give much value to their relationship and that is the main reason that Old Parents are put in the Old Age Homes. Recently I have visited an Old Age Home, where parents are living in the different phase and most of them have to get routined to the work there and I feel sad for those people who have been there for a long time. Why are the Young Professionals not able to take care of their Parents?

Do you get time to visit the Old Age Homes in your Area? Share your opinions.
    It needs guts and courage to visit the old age homes for many reasons. Because you must have the broad mind to understand the pathetic condition of each elder suffering there in silence. They are supposed to live with son , daughter and grand children, but they are dejected , deprived , rejected by their own family and sent to the old age homes. Most of the modern parents are working and they does not have the time to attend to the in laws who are getting old and ailing. The best way for them is to send to old age homes and pay the requisite fees. But the elders at the old age home are half dead when they are stolen from the daily chores of life at the real home. Every elder wants to play with grand children, help the house holds and look after themselves. But that is denied by lodging them in the old age homes for which I am totally against.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Perhaps putting parents in an old age home is also a kind of taking care compared to the scenario when they are left to struggle alone totally isolated in confines of their home.

Many parents don't want to leave their own home and live with children in other cities and the children cannot leave their jobs to live with the parents to take care of them.

Old age is a long drawn process. In many cases aged and ailing parents live for several years and it becomes impractical for children to take leave to look after them for such a long period.

It depends up to a large extent on the attitude of the daughter in law also. I think in case the married daughters are allowed to keep their parents with them, then the scenario will change up to a large extent.

Despite all the sentiments and emotions, the parents have to go one day in any case. The kind of treatment they get from their children depends primarily on the training they had imparted to their children in the past.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

There is such negativity around old age homes. Most of us confuse and equate old age homes to ill treatment by children.

Can I just ask people to think, there are so many babies and children looked after by nannies and maid servants because mother wants to work. The are many children who fathers or mothers (doctors, nurses, engineers, management consultants or experts) work abroad leaving behind one parent or none with children in India. There are children in boarding schools because parents do not have time to devote to their care because their jobs take them to multiple places for a variable period of time.

I'm not saying the above is wrong or universal but the same should apply to old age homes. I think, we should get away from the thought that old age homes are bad and people staying their are suffering a worse fate.

The world has changed, so are the children who start a new family, daughter-in-laws have changed, there are dysfunctional families in which elderly parents have to suffer in silence the emotional and verbal ill-treatment meted out. It happens behind four walls and we know about it but just do not want to believe in it.

I would say, keep some reserves for yourselves when you reach the stage of being grandparents. If all is well,stay at home and enjoy the rest of your years. If not, voluntarily move in to an old age home, a gated senior citizen community, make friends, have a positive approach. Maintain a little distance from your son's or daughter's family. This 'little distance' is very helpful is putting down the excess emotional baggage on both sides. Enjoy seeing your grandchildren whenever time permits, be happy that they are happy. You too can make new friends and interact with new people and live a life with a difference in the twilight of your life.

I live at Rampura a small suburban area of Neemuch district of Madhya Pradesh. We do not have any old age home nearby my area. Due to social restriction and culture of the village in our area still some moral is present. Generally, parents live with their children and there is no need for any old age home.
    Honesty is the best policy.

I have visited one or two old age homes during last one year. There are some good old age homes where the people will take a good care of the inmates. They keep the surroundings clean and they maintain good ambience. the quality of food is also good.
    But the question here is, why the old age people should be put in old age homes. Why not in the house with the children and their families. A grandfather will feel happy by playing with his grandchildren but not by staying alone in an AC room watching a TV.
    They are also a part and parcel of our lives. These days in cities like Hyderabad there are organisations who will take up the jobs of taking care of old people through the day and if necessary through the day by deputing their staff to the house. Young people should see that as much as possible their parents will stay with them.

drrao
    always confident

Perhaps putting in an old age home is also a kind of taking care compared to scenario when they are struggling alone totally isolated in confines of their home.

Many parents don't want to leave their own home and live with children in other cities and the children cannot leave their jobs to live with the parents to take care of them.

Old age is a long drawn process. In many cases aged and ailing parents live for several years and it becomes impractical for children to take leave to look after them for such a long period.

It depends up to a large extent on the attitude of the daughter in law also. I think in case the married daughters are allowed to keep her parents with her, then the scenario will change up to a large extent.

Despite all the sentiments and emotions, the parents have to go one day in any case. Therefore, the kind of treatment they get from their children depends primarily on the training they had imparted to their children in the past.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

The author has raised a very important issue and it is highlighting the changing society today where many of the children are not keeping their parents with them and admitting them in the old age home. It is true that the parents will not get the cosy and warm atmosphere of their home in the old age home but due to this attitude of their children they have no other option.

This is a unfortunate thing happening in this modern era but there is no other option in sight. In the race for earning money and materialistic pleasures the children are not having time for their parents.

Still, there are families where children are taking care of their parents by keeping them and caring them. Such parents are definitely the luckier lot.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments