You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

I have re-learnt how to make 'aloo-bharta' (mashed potato)

Yesterday I was late in office. So, I had to return in a public transport. As usual, I immensely enjoyed different bits of communication going on inside the bus. A young man was describing his wife (now staying at their home-town for delivery of their child) how he prepared 'aloo-bharta' yesterday morning. He was vividly describing the number of potatoes he took for the purpose, how long he boiled those potatoes, how he mashed those potatoes with difficulty, as those were very hot. How much mustard oil did he take, etc. He also mentioned that he cut the onions with a blunt knife and as an innovation, he used pepper-powder in the 'aloo-bharta'. Throughout the description, his wife was praising him like anything (the mobile-phone was in speaker mode).

Now, I have re-learnt the process of making 'aloo-bharta'. I will utilize my newly-gained knowledge tomorrow (Sunday) when my wife would visit her mother's place. But would she appreciate me?
    In most of the Busy schedules usually Wife take care of the family and she prepares everything for his Husband, Father, Mother and Children and usually they do not get a credit for what job they do in their life. Here you have mentioned that how well that Husband prepared food for his wife. Likewise, all Husbands need to share the kitchen work with Wife so that it will make work easier and both of them can enjoy their life. Next time when your wife visits your Mother's home be prepared to make some food for your wife. This will make them happy and you too can achieve a knowledge in preparing food.
    "Earning knowledge is by sharing it with ISC and we will rectify our mistakes."

I really do not know the making of aloo-parotta. But I know how to eat it. After having placed the hot aloo- parotta in a plate, I take some curd and spread it over the parotta. Then I take some sugar and coat it over the curd. Then I take a spoon of pickle gravy and apply it over it. Take a fork and a knife. Cut the parotta into small pieces. Pick them by the fork and eat it. What a style and what a taste... Ha Ha...!
    No life without Sun

It is always fun to travel in a public transport. we will come across different types of people and their behaviour always attracts our attention. Some people will be talking very slowly as if the side person may hear and laugh at him/her. Some people will never feel that they are in the midst of the public and never hesitate to talk as they wish. The co-passengers will be enjoying the conversation. This happens even in short distance trains when we travel daytime.

Coming to the subject of making a dish, what you relearned is how different from how you know has not been described. Anyhow, I hope your attempt will be successful and a better dish will come out from your attempt. I feel your wife will definitely appreciate your attempt and you all will enjoy the dish. I have also tried cooking various dishes in my kitchen and always I am lucky to get the appreciation from my better half and children.

drrao
    always confident

Mr. SuN: I have re-learnt how to make ''aloo-bharta'' (mashed potato), not ''aloo-paratha''.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence

Wow that is amazing, some times by giving credence to others talking we learn much and also gives us much hope to learn something new and asking. I would like to know further progress from your side. How you made the stuff, was it on expected guidelines, have you followed the exact way or drifted and at last have you offered the self cooked Aloo Bartha to some one at the house or friends and what was their reactions. Why because what ever we do for the first time the curiosity of success and winning situation is also expected by others who are also your close followers and friends.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Sitting in public transport, in waiting rooms and in the crowded restrauants, we are exposed to various bits of information. Often it would be a couple having an arguement, a pair in love talking about the next options, people discussing politics or buissness deals.

To hear something like making a dish in detail makes me laugh, I admire the patience of the husband and his lovely thoughts to have a detail re-cap with his wife over the phone. I've often seen couple not talking much at home face to face but talking more freely over the phone. Hope your new recipe for aloo-bhatra turns out to be a success.

And you have said that you have re learnt how to make aloo bhartha. That means you are now duty bound to share your first way of doing and the second idea you have been fed now.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Bharta is like Podimas in Tamil which we prepared as a side dish for any Sambar Rice or any variety rice.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Aloo bharta as the name 'mashed potatoes' implies is one of the easiest dish to prepare. The only risk for the first timers is to add more salt than desired.

Aloo bharta can be prepared either by using boiled potatoes or by using roasted potatoes which is comparatively difficult than the previous one, particularly the roasting part.

Nowadays, aloo can be boiled conveniently in microwave ovens.

The regional variations occur due to variation in different combinations of spices and adds on. However, the most common adds on are finely chopped onions, green chillies, coriander leaves though many add few drops of mustard oil also.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sorry Mr. Partha, I know only Parotta and not Bharta.
    No life without Sun

Mr. Partha ,Best of Luck ! for making Aloo Bharta whenever you make it in a new way that you learnt. I hope even your wife praises you for it. And I am sure you will be discussing about it here on ISC .

#632533 - There is very close relationship between aloo bharta and aloo paratha. Aloo bharta is used as stuffing for filing in aloo paratha.

I just love potatoes in any form! It is a most useful quick dish we make in case we need to have accompanying veggies at dinner time and the morning meal's veggies are over. Even otherwise, potatoes are one thing that is ever-present in our home, no matter that there are no veggies in the fridge. So potatoes are our go-to veggies when we need something easy & quick!

Mashed potatoes are not at all tough and it does not involve rocket science to prepare it. All you need to do is boil the potatoes, peel them and squash them with your palm & fingers. Then add a bit of salt and tadka of mustard seeds, a pinch of haldi powder, torn curry leaves and finely chopped green chillies. Mix with a spoon so that the tadka folds nicely into the mash. Those who do not eat chillies should put a teaspoon of dhania-jeera powder (mix of coriander seeds-cummin powder easily available in the market or can be made at home after dry roasting the coriander and cummin seeds and blending them with no water in the smaller jar of the mixie).

We do not put onions in it. Those who like garlic can finely chop a clove and put it in when making the tadka. It also tastes really good with a tablespoon of homemade curds. Alternatively, the curds can be served separately for whosoever wants to put it in while eating.

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with love. Your wife and daughter will both appreciate it, no worries!

(I would like to see a photo of your prepared dish.)

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

I do know that preparing ''aloo-bharta'' is not rocket science, but definitely the young man in Delhi and his wife (in her native place) think otherwise. So, I raised this thread.

Today, in the absence of my wife, I will prepare ''aloo-bharta'' with pepper powder, which is the only new thing I learnt from the young man on the bus. Let me see how does it taste.

Today I made 'aloo-bharta' after a long time. I used pepper-powder and it was delicious. Thanks to the young man who was my fellow-passenger day before yesterday.

Partha - You have not posted a photograph of the prepared dish as desired by Vandana, the ME in her response #632572.

Secondly, after overwhelming success of aloo bharta thread, please consider raising a thread on baigan bharta also.

A very amusing forum post cum anecdote by the author. Many times during travel we happen to hear very interesting narrations and household tips and as we do not have anything else to do we note those things during the journey in our mind and sometimes try them in our house once we reach back.

Hearing about a recipe in transit and then trying it in our house is definitely an amusing matter and everyone in our household will get surprised by the story.

Knowledge is power.

Is it only an event involving 'aloo-bharta'? Doesn't it reflect the lovely relationship between a husband and his wife?

So far as 'brinjal' or 'egg-plant' is concerned, I will write later about one of my favourite dishes, i.e., 'baigan-bhaji', not about 'baigan-bharta'.

• Sign In to post your comments