You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Villages are also changing.

Recently I had a visit to my native place. I enjoy my evenings whenever I go to my native place by a having a walk in the paddy fields which appear very greenish and give us a lot of pleasure. When we walk on the partition in between the fields the breeze we get will give us a nice flavour which makes us feel that we are in a perfect place of happiness. This is the main reason I like to go to my native place whenever I get a chance.
    But in my recent trip, I found that in these villages also the agricultural lands are getting converted to nonagricultural lands. Many new constructions are coming and the percentage of fields are diminishing. They are also becoming concrete jungles. As such how the country is going to face the food crisis and what will happen to the environment.
    It is really a worry some one when seeing the unwanted changes in villages as they lost their charm. Already villagers moving to towns by the attraction. Youngsters should understand the reality and hold the villages with charm.

Yes, the scenes in the villages are changing fast compared to the past due to many reasons including -

1. Construction of new connecting roads has increased vehicular traffic. Now buses are plying and many villagers have purchased motorcycles, tractors and other types of vehicles.

2. Electrification has enabled rich farmers to have electric gadgets, television, coolers and fans etc.

3. People, particularly those belonging to weaker sections are getting benefitted under various government social welfare schemes.

4. No person is now seen wearing torn clothes. People have started wearing jeans and jackets in villages also.

5. Many persons are using mobile phone and some of them use internet also.

6. They are now migrating to cities and towns for higher education and jobs.

There are many such other changes which are indicators of development also.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes, it is true that the developments in the villages are happening very fastly. Many big companies are targeting the land in the villages to build up their own resorts and villas and makes scheduled caste homeless. The people who are in the villages are moving because they don't have jobs and many of them are not able to find food for their families. This makes it difficult to adjust life in villages. Most of them come out from the villages and they are living far outside the villages to find jobs. The government must utilize the funds which have been provided to them and must give proper land documents to them and avoid landlords from purchasing the villages.
    "Earning knowledge is by sharing it with ISC and we will rectify our mistakes."

Yes, I fully agree with the author and I have also found the same thing in my area. Though there are many changes in the village life the things which author has mentioned in this thread are very serious. If we will change the agriculture land into non-agriculture land how will we get foodstuff in future? The government should ban the changing of agriculture land into the non-agriculture land. Though Government generates some revenue every year by this process of converting agricultural land into the non-agricultural land this process should be stopped for the future needs.
    Honesty is the best policy.

There is vast change in rural development and the face of the villages changed a lot today. The credit should be given to our former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpai under whose regime the complexion of the rural India has changed. The road connectivity to all villages was developed during his period and I think there won't be any dispute in it. The successive Governments have continued and now these villages have taken a new dimension in their growth. We can't insist them to dwell on agriculture alone where the Governments themselves are taking their land for promotion of urbanisation and industrial growth. Take for example, the new capital of AP - Amaravati. To make it like another Singapore, the Govt. has taken over the agricultural land of the people and in fact, the region is the rice bowl of AP.

As such how can we prevent them to act as per our wishes. If Amaravati construction is right at the cost of agricultural productivity, then how can we insist a poor villager to continue with agriculture?

Regards,
    Jagdish

The author is right. Villages are changing. They have also understood that there is no charm or fetching to continue the agriculture activities as they are relegated to the dependent on nature which may support some times and which may destroy their dreams and the governments wont help. The plight of the farmers in recent past is the testimony where in they are striving to get minimum support price for every product they produce and thus farmers are shying away from agriculture process and instead selling away the land for plotting purpose to earn some money for future. The government must change its attitude and stop farmer migrating from agriculture to infrastructure.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

We can't stop urbanisation and we also need food for our living. We should not deprive the farmers of their development. So we have to meet all these requirements. How to strike a balance. The urbanisation is causing loss of greenery in the villages. The worry is how to protect the environment and how to strike the balance. The only way I am thinking is a farmer's interest should also be protected and we should recognise this agriculture as an industry and whatever facilities we are giving for an industrial house we should give them also. We should give the freedom to the farmer to decide on the selling rate of commodities what he is growing. Then we may have a balance.
    drrao
    always confident

It is a fact that the gap between village and city is reducing day by day. As a person who was born and brought up in a remote village I have seen the change taking place there. When my parents shifted to this remote place I was just three years old. Our parents had to opt for this place as a result of the partition took place in our ancestral home and landed properties. Though there was an old house meant for keeping the rice/ paddy produced from the local fields owned by our family, It was not suitable to stay with family. Hence father constructed a four bed room, two storeyed house close to the old house. We started to stay there.
    When looked around the area had only very limited number of houses. The houses available were just small and paddy straw roofed. There were no shops or any other common places. For shopping one had to travel about six to seven kilometres. Everybody walked all these distance through rough routs covered with bushes and rocks. Even a river was there before reaching the shops. Weekly once different items including stationery and household utencils would be brought in that market. Everybody go there and do purchasing. No schools, hospital facilities, post office or any such common facilities in radius of about ten km. To get a bus one had to walk about four km.
    Slowly changes start coming there. Almost all were illiterate, nobody was getting news paper. Hence through the initiative of a person a lower primary school was started with Government sanction. Children started going there and a teacher came there. This school added one class every year which brought a teacher or two every year to this remote place. Through them news and news paper came. Slowly initiative came to cut a road to link the place with the main road. Small vehicles started to come to this place. Small shops came there. Provisions were made available there. Because of the initiative of the school manager a post office was brought to the premises of the school, and telephone connection too. And later a public library was started. With his initiative buses started plying through the road. Electricity connection came. Primary school became upper primary first and later high school. Number of students and teachers increased. New houses came up. New shops and other facilities started to sprout. People became educated and got connected with towns and cities.Regular contacts brought the city life to this remote place. And now the High school is a Higher Secondary School. There are more than two thousand students and more than a hundred teachers. Hundreds of New houses with all modern facilities. Thus I could watch the change every time when I visited my native place.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

This change started a few years ago. I remember during our summer holidays, travel from Bangalore to Coimbatore would have vast stretches of green fields and areas that are mostly green and forest like now it is very difficult to find a small stretch of an area without human dwellings.

Similarly, if I recollect their first journey on the Nilgiri blue mountain railway from 1990s to my recent visit in 2016, the entire beauty of the mountain slopes, dense thickets have mostly replaced with buildings sticking out like a sore spot in an otherwise green landscape.

Without repeating what the others have already said, the march of need and greed partly under the guise of progress have changed our villages and green tracts to such an extent that our children and the future generations will pay a heavy price. In many ways, we have already started to pay for it ( extreme weather, drought, dipping in the groundwater table, air pollution etc)

• Sign In to post your comments