You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why passengers never stopped by pulling chain to halt a running train sans engine ?

Believe it or not Ahmedabad to Puri express rolls down the line without engine for 10 kms, as the 15 coach train was literally on its run from Titlagarh station to Kesinga railway station in Odisha state and the passengers were screaming for help to stop train. What is my point of saying that every coach has the chain pulling system and the passengers who are panic could have pulled the chain in each compartment and thus the train would have come to halt forthwith. Nevertheless this incident has brought defame to Railways when it is going to introduce fast bullet trains soon ?
    Mohan,
    If I am not wrong, the chain doesn't work like this. The chain is not a direct brake application. When you pull a chain, the message is conveyed to the engine driver who applies the brake and bring the train to a sudden halt with a screaching noise. There is an arrow like indicator in each coach which will be used to recognize the exact coach from where the chain was pulled.

No life without Sun

The reason for not being able to pull the chain and stop the train was also part of the report and hence I don't see any reason for a doubt in this case.
    'Don't miss the Donut by looking through the hole'- Anonymous.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.